What Are You Watching?

Started by Spark Of Spirit, January 21, 2011, 11:53:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Foggle

It's good-ish. Don't watch the second season, though.

Spark Of Spirit

If you want something different, watch Fruits Basket. If you guys still have it on there. I know it's not popular around here, (and it's not really an action or a comedy show) but I quite like it.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Commode

That one is in my Instant Queue.  I wasn't going to ask about it since I was pretty certain you'd recommend it.

I wanted to watch Redline, but it's not on Netflix or iTunes(actually most anime on iTunes is on Netflix, so it's kind of pointless).  My buddy has it on his computer, so I'll see if I can copy it tomorrow.
It doesn't matter what you say, soon you'll be dead anyway.

Angus

Quote from: Comeau on April 12, 2012, 09:07:41 PM
How about Gunslinger Girl? That one sounds cool.

I got to about episode 5 but it was too depressing. Not like Black Lagoon.

There's a bunch of stuff I'd like to check out on Netflix though.
"You don't have to eat the entire turd to know that it's not a crab cake." - Bean, Shadow of the Hegemon

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I tried the first 2 episodes of Gunslinger Girl a few years back and got pretty bored of it rather quickly. Black Lagoon is a much better action-oriented anime that would be one of the few series I would actually consider recommending to some non-anime fans if they just like action series in general. It helps that it has a really solid English dub behind it as well. That said I have no idea if that is, or was ever at any point, on Netflix, but if its not it really ought to be. The series deserves more viewings.

Dr. Insomniac

Rewatching a bit of Eureka Seven to prepare for Ao.

Apparently, one of the tidbits I heard was that this was originally a Saturday morning cartoon for kids back in Japan, contrasting with how this got aired on Adult Swim.

Rosalinas Spare Wand

That would explain why it showed up on Sunday mornings on the local foreign channel in the LA area.

I'm about to start Denpa Onna, been meaning to check it out for a long time but I kept putting it off. Here's to hoping its not just Shaftshit.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

So, after hearing everyone praise it so much, I decided to check out Kids on the Slope. Its pretty good.

Eddy

I actually really enjoyed Fruits Basket.

I started watching a show called "High School of the Dead". It's sort of trashy and full of facepalm inducing fanservice that feels totally out of place (at least in the first couple episodes) but it's a pretty fun show. Of course, I'm a sucker for zombie apocalypse stories. I'm only about four episodes into it though.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I read the the first 14 or so chapters on the manga, and yeah, its kind of entertaining for what it is, but it didn't take me long to get tired of it when the series started drifting more towards the fan-service side of things and further away from the actual zombie part of it. That was honestly the only thing that kept me reading it for as long as I did.

Commode

I watched High School of the Dead after a recommendation from a friend. I quite liked it.
It doesn't matter what you say, soon you'll be dead anyway.

Spark Of Spirit

I read a bunch of the manga until I realized they were killing off characters with potential instead of the ones with boobs. Then there's also the plot completely running out of steam.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Rynnec

Highschool of the Dead is good for what it is. There's a suprising amount of depth hidden beneath the fanservice, which makes stuff like the matrix boob bouncing pretty aggravating.

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on April 14, 2012, 06:56:37 PM
I read a bunch of the manga until I realized they were killing off characters with potential instead of the ones with boobs. Then there's also the plot completely running out of steam.

I've only counted that happening two or three times so far. But I do think it's kinda annoying that whenever someone looks like they're going to join the group, they usually get offed not long afterwords.

Spark Of Spirit

I just watched episode two of Kuroko, and I approve. I really enjoy how they seem to be fleshing out the early chapters which seemed a bit too dry.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I may decide to check it out once the summer starts up and I have more free-time on my hands. It'll be nice to have a good shonen anime to look forward to on a weekly basis since the genre has been pretty dry and stale (including sports shonen series) for the last few years.

As for me, Hunter X Hunter is the only anime that I've been keeping up with on a weekly basis for the last few months. For what its worth, I think its been a great adaptation of the series so far and is constantly improving and impressing me with how it handles the subject material from the manga. I know most people aren't into shonen in general on this site, but if anyone was looking to get into one of the better long-running shonen anime, I'd certainly recommend this iteration of it, myself.