What Are You Watching?

Started by Spark Of Spirit, January 21, 2011, 11:53:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Foggle

The only reason I don't watch/read HxH is the same reason that I stopped reading Berserk... the author is lazy as hell and the story may never be finished. :-\

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on April 15, 2012, 03:53:50 PM
I may decide to check it out once the summer starts up and I have more free-time on my hands. It'll be nice to have a good shonen anime to look forward to on a weekly basis since the genre has been pretty dry and stale (including sports shonen series) for the last few years.
Yep, the genre has been pretty boring. But something about KNB hooked me from the start and I've been impressed on how it manages to match the sense of intensity of the old sports manga like Slam Dunk. And unlike say, Prince Of Tennis, it doesn't get insulting to viewers/readers.

The OP is pretty sweet, too. Again, reminds me of old school sports anime.

QuoteAs for me, Hunter X Hunter is the only anime that I've been keeping up with on a weekly basis for the last few months. For what its worth, I think its been a great adaptation of the series so far and is constantly improving and impressing me with how it handles the subject material from the manga. I know most people aren't into shonen in general on this site, but if anyone was looking to get into one of the better long-running shonen anime, I'd certainly recommend this iteration of it, myself.
I've been holding off on watching it, for various reasons, but I'm glad to hear it holds up. Is it outdoing the original at this point?
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

The Berserk author isn't really lazy. He just has his series released bi-weekly rather than on a weekly basis, and he sometimes has to take legitimate breaks to do some research on stuff or plan out future story arcs. Togashi just writes whenever the fuck he feels like it and takes break for no reasons whatsoever (except for his first major hiatus, which in all fairness was because of legitimate health problems, but that doesn't excuse his other 7+ breaks).

As for HXH, its more about each individual arc to me than the overarching story. The only main ongoing theme it has going for it is that Gon is looking for his father. Other than that its the type of series that has a lot of its focus put on its individual arcs, without necessarily having to heavily connect them story-wise (they are intertwined so they should be read in order, but they don't heavily reference one another, so they can stand well enough on their own, the way I see it). With Berserk, I feel like its just one major ongoing story that you need to see through from start to end, which is why I refuse read past volume 3 (which is where I left off back when I was reading it a few years ago) until I find out that the series has been ended for good.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on April 15, 2012, 04:01:13 PM
But something about KNB hooked me from the start and I've been impressed on how it manages to match the sense of intensity of the old sports manga like Slam Dunk.

That reminds me that I need to read Slam Dunk one of these days, as well.

QuoteI've been holding off on watching it, for various reasons, but I'm glad to hear it holds up. Is it outdoing the original at this point?

It handles certain elements better though I admittedly have more bias for the original so that's still currently the version that I prefer. That said, this version certainly has the potential to surpass the original. Stuff that started out weak in the original like the OST, the voice acting, and the pacing have been gradually improving over time, so it shows me that the people working on this anime are getting better as they go along. I'm REALLY excited to see how they handle the York Shin City arc, which isn't even that far away at this point.

Foggle

Oh, okay, I'll probably watch one of the anime versions then.

Berserk's author isn't really "lazy," but the most recent chapters have been really lacking and have had fuck all to do with anything. Complete style and tone changes have been going down, and now it's basically Bleach with good art.

Avaitor

Got to watch the first ep of Kids on the Slope and the first 2 of the new Lupin. Enjoying both so far.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Angus

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on April 14, 2012, 06:56:37 PM
I read a bunch of the manga until I realized they were killing off characters with potential instead of the ones with boobs. Then there's also the plot completely running out of steam.
I liked what I read of the manga; still quite fanservicey, but enough to wastespend many hours updating the Wikipedia entry for their character list, which was a total wreck before I messed with it.  Episode 6 also has my favorite dub line from the anime series:

Takashi Komuro: "So she lives here with a friend of hers, isn't that right? Who is she? Sarah f--king Palin?"

And then the series just stops completely; no new chapters since last summer?
"You don't have to eat the entire turd to know that it's not a crab cake." - Bean, Shadow of the Hegemon

Rynnec

I believe the Mangaka are putting it on hiatus (again) and one of them is busy working on his other manga (Triage X).

Lord Dalek

A couple of days ago I marathoned the entirety of Elfen Lied. I wish I hadn't.

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Lord Dalek on April 20, 2012, 03:53:17 PM
:wth:
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Insomniac

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on April 20, 2012, 04:07:14 PM
Full House. Elfen Lied. Maybe I'm being too cruel by suggesting The Tomorrow People to you guys.

Lord Dalek

Quote from: Dr. Insomniac on April 20, 2012, 04:07:49 PM
Full House. Elfen Lied. Maybe I'm being too cruel by suggesting The Tomorrow People to you guys.
Yeah the last thing we need is to have Adam and Megabyte fight the corn flake conglomerate.

...god that show..... WHY?!??!?!

Dr. Insomniac

Quote from: Lord Dalek on April 20, 2012, 04:29:16 PM
Yeah the last thing we need is to have Adam and Megabyte fight the corn flake conglomerate.

Because a man by the name of Roger Price looked at the crappy effects and blatant homoeroticism of Doctor Who, and said, "Not enough..."

Lord Dalek

Quote from: Dr. Insomniac on April 20, 2012, 04:31:14 PM
Quote from: Lord Dalek on April 20, 2012, 04:29:16 PM

Because a man by the name of Roger Price looked at the crappy effects and blatant homoeroticism of Doctor Who, and said, "Not enough..."
Well at least he got Christopher Lee.

Foggle

Quite possibly my least favorite anime of all time. I hate that shit with a passion... always have.