What Are You Watching?

Started by Spark Of Spirit, January 21, 2011, 11:53:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddy

I finally got around to finishing the first season of High School of the Dead and, I have to say, I enjoyed it. I wish there were more. The fanservice is really aggravating though because this show doesn't need it. It's interesting enough on its own and the bouncing boobs and panty shots hurt it more than help it.

Seriously, the slow motion bullet flying between Saeko's breasts in that one episode with the repeated slow motion jiggling boobs on Rei each time the gun was fired made me feel straight up embarrassed to be watching it. :whuh:

Angus

I take it you're not counting that bonus episode (unreleased in US) that has even more adult fanservice.
"You don't have to eat the entire turd to know that it's not a crab cake." - Bean, Shadow of the Hegemon

Eddy

The beach episode? Yeah, I'm not even counting that as canon. I went online to find that one and it's obvious it was just made an an excuse to have fanservice. (Though the ending was kind of funny.)

Lord Dalek

Been live tweeting the poor quality of El-Hazard The Wanderers for the past few days. God that show is a clusterfuck.

Lord Dalek

Isekai no Seikishi Monogatari which is apparently a Tenchi Muyo sequel. I think.

Foggle

So did you ever end up watching the Trigun movie, E-K?

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Oh yeah, I did watch it but forgot to comment on it.

I, uh....kind of liked it, actually. Its not really bad or anything, but it does feel like an over-sized filler episode with some decent animation rather than the big feature that I was expecting. I mean, I was disappointed because I felt the movie could have been a good opportunity to expand on the key characters of the series and delve more into their personalities and develop them a bit with a grand old-style Trigun anime plot (also, it wouldn't have to worry about being faithful to the manga since the anime already deviated from it to begin with). Even so, it was still mildly entertaining and nothing about it was downright bad or awful, so I enjoyed it on that level.

Still, this whole thing was one huge missed opportunity, IMO.

Foggle

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on June 13, 2012, 12:43:21 PM
Its not really bad or anything, but it does feel like an over-sized filler episode with some decent animation rather than the big feature that I was expecting. I mean, I was disappointed because I felt the movie could have been a good opportunity to expand on the key characters of the series and delve more into their personalities and develop them a bit with a grand old-style Trigun anime plot (also, it wouldn't have to worry about being faithful to the manga since the anime already deviated from it to begin with). Even so, it was still mildly entertaining and nothing about it was downright bad or awful, so I enjoyed it on that level.

Still, this whole thing was one huge missed opportunity, IMO.
My thoughts exactly! I, personally, didn't like it very much, but it's definitely not bad, either - just disappointing and a bit overlong, especially compared to the Bebop movie.

Rynnec

Finished watching Murder Princess a few minutes ago. It was alright, the action scenes, while nothing to write home about, and the lesbian subtext made the show worth watching for me. What really knocks it down is the ending, it felt completely rushed and hardly concluded the main body-switching plotline at all. What's worse is that quite a few of the characters die-off at once, yet because the anime is only six-episodes long, not enough time was given to develop them enough to really make me feel anything. This anime really should've been at least twelve episodes long so it could develop its plot and characters more.

Lord Dalek

Currently torturing thyne self with Gundam Seed Destiny... its... actually worse than I remember. MUCH WORSE.

Dr. Insomniac

Avaitor

Heh, I never did finish this series. It was interesting though.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Pharass

Quote from: Lord Dalek on May 21, 2012, 09:23:27 AM
Been live tweeting the poor quality of El-Hazard The Wanderers for the past few days. God that show is a clusterfuck.

Really? That's a shame. I haven't seen Wanderers but I thought the first OVA was great. The second one, however, was largely forgettable.

In every age
In every place
The deeds of men
Remain the same.

Lord Dalek

Quote from: Pharass on June 24, 2012, 01:50:12 PM
Quote from: Lord Dalek on May 21, 2012, 09:23:27 AM

Really? That's a shame. I haven't seen Wanderers but I thought the first OVA was great. The second one, however, was largely forgettable.
Yeah I love the first OVA. Hell its probably my favorite OVA of all time, and the tv show is like hellbent to screw up every single thing that the first did right. Its like kicking you in the balls when you're dead.

And yeah E-H2 and Alternative World are forgettable filler. Why bother to make interquels that are ultimately meaningless when we already know how it all ends?

Angus

Well, they are the company that did Tenchi Muyo and all their retellings around the same time.
"You don't have to eat the entire turd to know that it's not a crab cake." - Bean, Shadow of the Hegemon