What Are You Watching?

Started by Spark Of Spirit, January 21, 2011, 11:53:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheEclecticDude

Watching Pani Poni Dash on DVD-got the Funimation SAVE Edition Complete series

Prepare for the lolz.

LumRanmaYasha

If you're wondering what you're in for TheEclecticDude, Pani Poni Dash is a really bizarre and obtuse anime. Not Bobobo levels, but almost. That said, it drags at parts, but it's a pretty funny anime at the end of the day.

TheEclecticDude

Oh this isn't the first time Ive seen it

It was one of the first show I saw subbed then dubbed.

Way back when (in 2006 mind you)

Lord Dalek

Gargantia is really good. Everyone should watch it.

gunswordfist

"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Dr. Insomniac

Foggle

Lord Dalek

Giving From The New World a try. So far its interesting (and far better than SAO).

Rosalinas Spare Wand

I started Shingeki no Kyojin a few days ago. Pretty sure all the SoL/idol shows have ruined me because the first thing that came to mind is how I found moe appeal in every single main character of the show.

It's a decent adaptation all things considered. Kind of slow paced but not to the point where I just want it to be over.

TheEclecticDude

Re-watching Bodacious Space Pirates again

one and only anime series that I bought that came out this year

very good show, overall

Lord Dalek

Shin Sekai Yori was pretty damn good.

LumRanmaYasha

I've been busy in my anime watching recently:

What I've re-watched:

I should've re-watched Pani Poni Dash sooner. It was even funnier than I remembered! How was this not a top favorite for me before? Hmm...

What I've finished:

Shouldn't have jumped the gun on saying I didn't care that much for this series. I hadn't watched the Japan arc and Roberta's Blood Trail yet. Now I have. And they were EPIC AND BADASS. But more importantly for me, they had lots of great plot and character development, which are things I value the most in any series. Those arcs definitely make up for the mehness of the first Roberta arc and the Hansel and Greta arc tenfold. Assuredly a top favorite for me now.

My brother is a huge Togashi fan (about as much as Ensatsu-Ken) and loved this series to death, and I checked it out after he recommended it to me. It was good, and I laughed a fair bit, but it wasn't the funniest show in the world for me. Not to say it wasn't solid because it was, and in fact there are quite a lot of memorable moments, but viewing it side by side with Pani Poni Dash it fell a little flat in comparison. And while I liked the plots, Prince Baka, and Captain Kraft a lot, to be honest all the other recurring characters kinda did nothing for me by themselves. Still a really fun and enjoyable series though, even if I didn't find it the funniest in the world.

Blargh, I still need to finish Maison Ikkoku. I've got 80 episodes to go  :sweat:. But I feel like going through a re-watch of Gargoyles after watching a shit ton of episodes from the various DCAU shows over the past few months. Oh geez, so many shows to watch, but too much of a life to live....

Avaitor

Ooh Level E, that was a fun one.

I should probably go and read the manga, actually.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I'm glad to see that you liked Black Lagoon. Its a great series. Though, I still need to finish Roberta's Blood Trail, myself.

As for the first Roberta story arc, I actually enjoyed that, myself, but I fucking HATED the Hansel and Gretel story arc. I like pretty much the rest of the series out of what I've seen and read, but I fucking detest that arc. It has a lame premise and just feels so unpleasant to watch, IMO. Its easily the low point of the series for me.

Quote from: Cartoon X on May 27, 2013, 09:42:29 PM
My brother is a huge Togashi fan (about as much as Ensatsu-Ken) and loved this series to death, and I checked it out after he recommended it to me. It was good, and I laughed a fair bit, but it wasn't the funniest show in the world for me. Not to say it wasn't solid because it was, and in fact there are quite a lot of memorable moments, but viewing it side by side with Pani Poni Dash it fell a little flat in comparison. And while I liked the plots, Prince Baka, and Captain Kraft a lot, to be honest all the other recurring characters kinda did nothing for me by themselves. Still a really fun and enjoyable series though, even if I didn't find it the funniest in the world.

To be fair, I don't think that the entire thing was meant to be a flat-out, balls-to-the-walls, comedy series. It was more just an anthology of stories that, if I remember correctly, were Togashi's way of experimenting with different story ideas he could do for a future manga (I read that in some old interview that I don't have a link to, so take it with a grain of salt). Either way, the series is most notable for having Togashi's trademark weirdness more than anything else. Its what I'd call a fun series, but it wasn't necessarily all that funny for me (some parts were, like the Color Rangers episode and whatnot). Some episodes were also serious stories, so its just a really bizarre anthology, on the whole. If I could give it credit for something, its certainly the most unique shonen series that I have ever seen. I don't think anyone could rightfully deny it that.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: Avaitor on May 27, 2013, 09:46:32 PM
Ooh Level E, that was a fun one.

I should probably go and read the manga, actually.

I wouldn't bother with that, if I were you. The anime follows it faithfully while also being generally better in pacing and design. The funny thing is that I find all of the anime adaptations of Togashi's work to be superior to the manga. That's not a blemish on Togashi's writing talent at all, as he deserves the credit for all of the good ideas and characterization that goes into his story. Its just that the anime adaptations of his work usually give his series a much needed polish, as if I could describe all of Togashi's negative writing aspects in one word, it would be that he's pretty freaking sloppy. In his manga, his narrative is all over the place, and he can get extremely lazy at times when he really doesn't give a shit, and just jump to another part of the story where it really feels like a lot of essential stuff could have been filled into some gaps that he leaves. That extra bit of polish in the anime form of his work really makes the difference in turning already great stories with some flaws into even greater stories with much less problems.

To put it simple, just watch the anime for all of Togashi's stuff. Its ironically the best way to get the fullest out of their best qualities.