What Are You Watching?

Started by Spark Of Spirit, January 21, 2011, 11:53:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheEclecticDude

Rewatching Nichijou....one of the best anime comedies ever.

Lord Il

Quote from: TheEclecticDude on June 06, 2013, 09:28:37 PM
Rewatching Nichijou....one of the best anime comedies ever.
I keep seeing a lot of animated gifs from this series. Lots of clips in AMVs as well. I'm curious to give this a watch. Seems to be along the lines of Azumanga Daioh. Good, mindless entertainment. lol!
---

Currently watching To Aru Kagaku no Railgun S, which, around in the second episode, surprised me to learn it was somewhat of a prequel to the To aru Majutsu no Index series.
Accelerator is one scary bastard. O_o

My nephew recently recommeded Attack On Titan. Let me know if anyone can recommend it (or otherwise).

Dr. Insomniac

Rosalinas Spare Wand

I don't. The show has a great premise and then episodes 5 and 6 turn it into some edgy teenagers wet dream.

Grave

Quote from: Grave on May 31, 2013, 01:24:46 PM
Re-watching Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood. Hellsing Ultimate and Sengoku Basara (season 2 and Last Party) arrived so hopefully that'll renew a spark for me to get interested in anime again.

Still watching this. I think I said this once before. Despite it being one of my favorites, and while Ed and Al aren't nearly as annoying than the 2003 version, but the more I watch this the more annoyed I become of both of them.

I will say that when things jump off it still has that impact to keep me tuned in though (considering right now I'm also watching SSF4 matches on youtube). It sucks that the guy voicing younger Toguro didn't come back to voice Scar. I have nothing against Brotherhood Scar's voice (he's good), but the other version is more memorable to me.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: Grave on June 08, 2013, 03:15:23 AM
Still watching this. I think I said this once before. Despite it being one of my favorites, and while Ed and Al aren't nearly as annoying than the 2003 version

IMO they are much more annoying than in the 2003 version, here. In this version they act way more with the typical shonen mentality and idealism. I like how in the 2003 anime, they had to learn to grow out of that mentality. That said, I've never really been a fan of these characters to begin with, so I say: meh, either way.

LumRanmaYasha

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on June 08, 2013, 10:43:37 AM

IMO they are much more annoying than in the 2003 version, here. In this version they act way more with the typical shonen mentality and idealism.

I dunno. Personally Ed came off too much like a jerk in the original anime, and more over kept brooding and was too easily irritated with others, at least that's how I felt. I don't see a difference between Alphonse in either series. They learn pretty much the same lessons and act pretty much the same, although I guess I sympathize with original anime Alphonse more because if only because it always felt like he was getting more screwed over unfairly in the series and his whole identity crises  during/after the Fifth Laboratory events was handled better.

Anyway, I enjoy Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood as a fun action show, not because it's some philosophical and dramatic masterpiece like most of the fans think it is. Fullmetal Alchemist the original anime is sorta better on that front in the way it handles it themes, and I legitimately think Mustang, Winry, and Scar's character arcs were handled far superior in it, but overall I preferred the story of Brotherhood and the anime because it was more fun to watch and I enjoyed the characters more.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: Cartoon X on June 08, 2013, 11:12:30 PM
I dunno. Personally Ed came off too much like a jerk in the original anime, and more over kept brooding and was too easily irritated with others

He does that in Brotherhood as well. Hell, just his teacher mentioning the name of his father gets him to start brooding about how much he hates his father (this was an actual scene in the manga and show). I can't stand stuff like that. And he acts selfishly at times in Brotherhood as well. In the original anime, he acts like a jerk at first but develops out of it later. After that, he has to make some hard decisions at times which aren't always idealistic, but that's precisely what the original anime does better than the manga. It doesn't always resort to the idealistic option. Unless you can cite any specific examples from the original anime in which he was being clearly mean-spirited or an ass-hole in a way he never was in the manga/Brotherhood.

QuoteI don't see a difference between Alphonse in either series. They learn pretty much the same lessons and act pretty much the same, although I guess I sympathize with original anime Alphonse more because if only because it always felt like he was getting more screwed over unfairly in the series and his whole identity crises  during/after the Fifth Laboratory events was handled better.

An interesting thing to note is that I hated the identity crisis dilemma in both the original anime and Brotherhood. It always felt like such a cheap emotional ploy, to me, and I never found that it was handled particularly well, myself.

QuoteAnyway, I enjoy Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood as a fun action show, not because it's some philosophical and dramatic masterpiece like most of the fans think it is. Fullmetal Alchemist the original anime is sorta better on that front in the way it handles it themes, and I legitimately think Mustang, Winry, and Scar's character arcs were handled far superior in it, but overall I preferred the story of Brotherhood and the anime because it was more fun to watch and I enjoyed the characters more.

Like I said, I'm not a huge fan of either version of the show, but I felt that the original anime characters weren't any less likable than in the manga/Brotherhood, and I felt that while the philosophical elements of the original weren't as great as people used to make them out to be, I did still appreciate them for what they were. I'm all for a series that's more about entertainment value, myself, but I guess I only found Brotherhood mildly entertaining at best. There were also a lot of slow parts in it that bored me. There were slow parts in the original anime, to be sure, but for me they were less frequent.

gunswordfist

Meh, how Ed felt about his father made sense and Brotherhood is clearly much more entertaining.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: gunswordfist on June 09, 2013, 12:54:55 AM
Meh, how Ed felt about his father made sense and Brotherhood is clearly much more entertaining.

If by more entertaining you mean more like a typical shonen, then yeah. I'd expect you to say as much, considering that you seem to be allergic to anything remotely intelligent. I'm sure that all it took was a lot more action scenes to win your feeble mind over. ;)

Grave

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on June 09, 2013, 01:41:52 AM
Quote from: gunswordfist on June 09, 2013, 12:54:55 AM

If by more entertaining you mean more like a typical shonen, then yeah. I'd expect you to say as much, considering that you seem to be allergic to anything remotely intelligent. I'm sure that all it took was a lot more action scenes to win your feeble mind over. ;)
For the most part you're definitely nailing it on the head when it comes to anime pleasing me, but then again, I've been so far outta touch with anime these days I highly doubt that action scenes alone will have that effect on me. While I will say that action is the 1st thing I look for, I'd say characters is right there with it, and for FMA (both 2003 and Brotherhood) I'd probably go as far as to call Ed and Al bad protagonists (I've seen worst though). The reason I find them more tolerable in brotherhood is because Ed's obnoxious behavior came off as more comedic and not a lot of it was taken seriously whereas in the 2003 version was just straight annoying. I mean as refreshing as it is to watch anime to try to relate to characters, that's not why I watch it. I don't remember the scene all that well since I don't the 2003 version anymore, but I recall Al trying to talk to Ed and he just up and run away, and then the scene with Marcoh and the stone just irritated me to no end. Al, for some reason just comes off as whiny (which I know he isn't). Like I said, though, the more I watch brotherhood the more annoyed I become with Ed, and it's practically for the same reasons.  I guess I'm at the point where I'm finding things to be less tolerable.

Like I said, I find Ed and Al to be bad protagonists (but even then I've always had a hatred for kiddy protagonists. Yusuke is an exception), but the secondary characters is what makes the series for me, especially people like Mustang (and Kimblee). Honestly, I'd be a lot happier if Mustang had his own show with all of his subordinates. The episodes where he "fought" (could that really be called a fight?) with Envy really put the show over for me.

Anyway, I really need to watch the rest of Darker Than Black, but can't seem to get past the 5th episode. I get so bored of it at that point to where I just don't feel like being bothered looking at the rest.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: Grave on June 09, 2013, 12:19:17 PM
For the most part you're definitely nailing it on the head when it comes to anime pleasing me

Actually, I was just trying to mock GSF like I usually do. I don't actually think of fans of Brotherhood that way at all. And I can understand your preferences for anime. Typically I'm not a huge fan of the more philosophical stuff as well, and just like something that entertains me, whether it has any depth or not.

QuoteI'd probably go as far as to call Ed and Al bad protagonists (I've seen worst though).

I wouldn't call them bad, myself, but for me they just aren't very compelling to follow.

QuoteLike I said, I find Ed and Al to be bad protagonists (but even then I've always had a hatred for kiddy protagonists. Yusuke is an exception)

I actually wouldn't even call Yusuke a kiddy protagonist to begin with. He has a subtle but clear character arc where he matures throughout the story, and the types of decisions he makes as the series progresses in many cases turn out to be more thoughtful and well-thought out than what he might have done early on in the series. That, and the guy isn't afraid to get his hands dirty if he has to. Essentially he doesn't act like a little goodie-two-shoes like the majority of shonen protagonists, which I really like.

Grave

I only meant kiddy as an age thing. Tired of the 12-17 year old heroes.

Spark Of Spirit

FMA is a show where the plot is more interesting than any of the characters. They don't really seem to drive the story and aren't very interesting in themselves. That said, I still don't think the story is all that special despite what I just said. It's better than your generic shonen show but I don't think it's anything great.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Grave

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on June 09, 2013, 01:27:38 PM
FMA is a show where the plot is more interesting than any of the characters. They don't really seem to drive the story and aren't very interesting in themselves. That said, I still don't think the story is all that special despite what I just said. It's better than your generic shonen show but I don't think it's anything great.

This is probably my 3rd time watching Brotherhood, and I'm definitely see that, although, I'm more fond of the characters (minus Ed, Al and Gluttony) over the story.