What Are You Watching?

Started by Spark Of Spirit, January 21, 2011, 11:53:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LumRanmaYasha

I don't quite agree with that, I found the characters quite enjoyable personally. I actually think the plot of FMA isn't really all that unique ( I still really liked it, but it's not all that original when you think about it), but the characters and the great fights make the series really fun to watch. I enjoy Hoenheim, Ling, Greed, Alphonse, Scar, Winry, Bradley, Hommunculus, and Pride especially, and I think Hoenehim and Greed in particular would make my top 30 characters list. I will agree that at times it feels like the story drives the characters and not the other way around, but I still find most of them interesting and entertaining regardless.

Spark Of Spirit

Oh, I like some characters. In fact you listed the ones I liked, but it sometimes feels as if they have no bearing on the story and it is the story that moves them. All in all though, I don't hate it or anything.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Rynnec

Both FMA's are great, but I don't see it as the greatest shounen ever that most of its fans see it as. Greatest modern shounen maybe (and that's really not saying much). Part of that has to do with the main protagnists and antagonists being lackluster, and a few characters being underdeveloped. The series does have its moments though, such as the Ishvalan War flashback,  and the Promised Day, but on the whole, I wouldn't say it's anything too special.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on June 09, 2013, 01:27:38 PM
FMA is a show where the plot is more interesting than any of the characters. They don't really seem to drive the story and aren't very interesting in themselves. That said, I still don't think the story is all that special despite what I just said. It's better than your generic shonen show but I don't think it's anything great.

This basically sums up my feelings on BOTH FMA series in a nutshell. The story is above average but nothing truly great, and the characters are likable, but also more shallow and less interesting than what some people like to believe.

gunswordfist

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on June 09, 2013, 02:43:46 PM
Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on June 09, 2013, 01:27:38 PM
FMA is a show where the plot is more interesting than any of the characters. They don't really seem to drive the story and aren't very interesting in themselves. That said, I still don't think the story is all that special despite what I just said. It's better than your generic shonen show but I don't think it's anything great.

This basically sums up my feelings on BOTH FMA series in a nutshell. The story is above average but nothing truly great, and the characters are likable, but also more shallow and less interesting than what some people like to believe.
Sounds like you're describing FMP.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: gunswordfist on June 09, 2013, 03:05:06 PM

A comeback like that only works if you've actually watched the series you're trying to insult. With someone else, that might work, but its way too obvious that your dumb-ass has never tried to explore anything passed what's aired on any basic cable channel.

gunswordfist

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on June 09, 2013, 03:13:57 PM
Quote from: gunswordfist on June 09, 2013, 03:05:06 PM

A comeback like that only works if you've actually watched the series you're trying to insult. With someone else, that might work, but its way too obvious that your dumb-ass has never tried to explore anything passed what's aired on any basic cable channel.
Actually, I watched it on dish on demand. I'm curious, exactly where can you watch FMP on basic cable? Stick to trying to make Gauron sound like he's more than a generic smiling villain. You somehow sound less stupid when you say that ;)

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: gunswordfist on June 09, 2013, 05:48:04 PM
Actually, I watched it on dish on demand. I'm curious, exactly where can you watch FMP on basic cable? Stick to trying to make Gauron sound like he's more than a generic smiling villain. You somehow sound less stupid when you say that ;)

Which is also complete bull-shit because you've never watched the series or read any of the novels.

Also, I find the villain comment amusing considering that you're favorite villains are the most generic guys possible. Greed is easily the weakest and most forgettable villain in FMA. Hell, the guy basically even admits how 1-dimensional he is and is proud of it. Meanwhile more complex and elaborate villains like Sensui from Yu Yu Hakusho or Shishio from Rurouni Kenshin are lost on you because you're an idiot who only looks to see how pyschotic and powerful a villain is. Hell, you even said that Shishio was nothing more than a power-hungry villain back on TV.com since you were just too stupid to get that his disdain came from his beef with the government and how badly they fucked him over, as well as how his ideals were built on a Darwinist structure as opposed to just him wanting to rule lots of things, which in reality you could tell he didn't really give a shit about being a leader rather than just totally turning the sociopolitical structure of Japan on its heels.

Yes, you certainly are an idiot, GSF.

gunswordfist

I watched the first FMP series, just not the 2nd one, moron. You can even recall me saying that and you saying it's ok, at least I gave the series a try.. I'll give a second to remember this ;D

Dr. Insomniac

Now be careful, EK. GSF might have a tantrum and do something as violent as give you an angry private message if you play with him enough.

LumRanmaYasha

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on June 09, 2013, 06:26:58 PM
Greed is easily the weakest and most forgettable villain in FMA. Hell, the guy basically even admits how 1-dimensional he is and is proud of it.

The fact that Greed takes pride in being exactly who he says he is and why he wants what he wants is exactly what makes him awesome in both series in my book. I never felt he was generic at all; in fact his more laid back personality combined with his charismatically greedy and rationalizing nature made him stand out to me in his very first appearance, whereas it took some time for other villains in the series to grow on me. Of course, Greed is also not totally one dimensional; he has some character development in Brotherhood where he recognizes that his friendship with Ling and Ed was fulfilling for him even though he knew that he could never have everything he desired in the world, but those friendships were enough.  Like, he's far from a complex character or anything, and is no where near the league of really great villains/anti-heroes, but I found him extremely likable and honestly think he's one of the most memorable characters in the show.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Alright, let me just stop you there, CartoonX. There's something that you have to realize if you haven't already, but me and GSF have a history of fucking around with each other and basically making comments that would piss the other person off. In that regard, I purposely bash his opinions because I know he's a moron and that it'll tick him off to no end. I usually exaggerate my opinions just for that sake.

As for Greed, he's certainly not one of my favorite villains, but I don't actually think he's terrible. I do believe that he's shallow, though, and in that regard, I'm attacking GSF more than the character, by insinuating that he's too stupid to like more complex and well thought-out villains. That's really what the objective of that post of mine was.

Dr. Insomniac

Yeah, GSF is made of thick skin, so it's perfectly okay to make fun of him.

gunswordfist

Quote from: Dr. Insomniac on June 09, 2013, 06:41:48 PM
Yeah, GSF is made of thick skin, so it's perfectly okay to make fun of him.
And I take this as a compliment. ;D

Lord Il

Quote from: Lord Il on June 07, 2013, 05:54:05 PMMy nephew recently recommeded Attack On Titan. Let me know if anyone can recommend it (or otherwise).

Quote from: Dr. Insomniac on June 07, 2013, 06:03:24 PM
I do.

Quote from: Rosalinas Spare Wand on June 07, 2013, 08:59:41 PM
I don't. The show has a great premise and then episodes 5 and 6 turn it into some edgy teenagers wet dream.
hmm.... That good, huh? ;)

Well.. curiosity got the better of me last night when I watched episodes 1-3. Not bad so far. I'll continue with it.

Now I finally know what all these weird potato girl references are I keep seeing. lol!