What Are You Watching?

Started by Spark Of Spirit, January 21, 2011, 11:53:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spark Of Spirit

And how it's longer than the rest of the manga on its own.  :D

Man, was that a marathon to get through.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Grave

Just started Chapter Black of Yu Yu Hakusho.

gunswordfist

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on August 23, 2013, 05:04:49 PM
Quote from: gunswordfist on August 23, 2013, 01:51:22 AMThe Chimera Ant arc really is dark with episodes like Evil And Terrible. I am not too shocked by the character deaths so far but the last episode I saw made me sick from what happened to a character and the atmosphere feels like how FMA did when they made it seem like anyone just about could die but HXH feels like it could actually go that far.

Spoiler
Do you mean Ponzu (girl who got shot to death and then eaten), Pokkle (Guy who got his brain probed and then was butchered alive), or a certain other character who I won't name yet in case you haven't gotten that far in the story? Either way, I hated all of those scenes.
[close]

I should make it clear that I don't mind characters being killed of at all. I do however hate it when it is clearly just done for shock value, and isn't handled well, which is my problem with the first 3rd of the Chimera Ant arc in HXH. Togashi just exploits his gore fetish (and he has admitted that he enjoys gore and violence), and doesn't give any of these characters proper send-offs at all. I mean, even if you're going for shock value, the death scenes can still be handled better (Joss Whedon does it all the time ;) ).
I didn't know he gets butchered (I assume it happens offscreen). Anyway, I am referring to those too (About an hour ago I am on the episode where they first meet Bisky again for more training and watched the episode where they first meet the Royal Guard earlier this morning after I made my last post here) I thought those two were expendable enough so I didn't mind too much. I thought Killua was going to die within the first two episodes of the arc from the way y'all have been talking about the show here and in another thread.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

No, Togashi will never kill off any of his main characters. Any supporting characters, minor or major, are fair game for him, though.

gunswordfist

Grrrrr, why'd you tell me that :D

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: gunswordfist on August 25, 2013, 12:18:58 AM
Grrrrr, why'd you tell me that :D
Because it's the one cliche he clings to no matter what.

There are parts in Chimera Ant where you'll wonder how come Gon or Killua didn't die seconds after someone far more powerful than either bit it. It doesn't bother me all too much (the arc has other problems), but it's hard to not notice.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Lord Dalek

I wish Monogatari would just die already.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I just watched episode 4 of Fate Zero. The fight between Saber and Lancer was SO shounen. ;D

Painted Outlaw

To be fair, if you're reading the same title (HxH) where
Spoiler
a serial killer is forced to watch his own heart get crushed
[close]
I'd figure it to be a bit gory. :P

Also, I've been slacking on watching Macross and Suite Precure; need to get back to that ASAP.

gunswordfist

I just finished episode 1 of Fate/Zero. Man was that a lot of information to process.

Foggle

Space Adventure Cobra is the greatest anime you've never seen.

LumRanmaYasha

Quote from: Foggle on August 27, 2013, 08:20:04 PM

I've heard of the manga before, but haven't gotten around to reading it yet. I didn't know it had an anime; I'll put it on my backlog (assuming it's actually good and you're not just joking  :D )

Anyway, today I was in a mall randomly browsing when I came across a store called FYE that had a huge anime selection, with some stuff over a decade old, like the original pioneer Dragonball Z and Tenchi Muyo! dvds..and a lot of them were never used! However, the main thing that caught my eye was the Mermaid Forest television series collection, which I never expected to find being sold anywhere considering it's not a well-known title from the now defunct Geneon and a decade to boot, so as a fan of the manga and Rumiko Takahashi's works in general I decided to pick it up. They were having a buy 2 get 1 free sale, so I also purchased the complete series of Beck, which I've heard great things about, and Solty Rei, which I know nothing about but seems decent at least and I got it basically for free so what they hey. So now I've got three new anime in my collection, and while I don't' have a lot of time anymore, I'm definitely going to start watching them once I'm done with Fate/Zero, which I'm going to try and finish before the end of September, hopefully. Does anyone have any opinions on any of these series before I start watching them?

Foggle

Quote from: Cartoon X on August 29, 2013, 10:05:38 PM
Quote from: Foggle on August 27, 2013, 08:20:04 PM

I've heard of the manga before, but haven't gotten around to reading it yet. I didn't know it had an anime; I'll put it on my backlog (assuming it's actually good and you're not just joking  :D )
It's AMAZING. I promise you'll love it.

Spark Of Spirit

QuoteSet in the far future, the series tells the story of Cobra, who lived an adventurous life until his enemies began to hunt him down. Cobra surgically altered his face and erased his own memory in order to hide from his foes and lead a normal life. Eventually, he regains his memories and re-unites with his old partner Lady Armaroid and his ship Tortuga. Cobra travels the galaxy, fighting the outlaw Pirate Guild, but also fleeing the law-enforcing Milky Way Patrol. Along with his charm and wit, Cobra survives thanks to his Psycho-Gun, a weapon embedded in his left arm.
That sounds pretty cool.

Foggle

The music is done by the same composer as Lupin III.

Seriously, watch it. It's awesome.