What Are You Watching?

Started by Spark Of Spirit, January 21, 2011, 11:53:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Insomniac

The studio that made Fate/Zero is going to make its own version of F/SN sometime in the future, so that'll be a better alternative than dipping into some DEEN.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Will they be adapting a different route from the visual novels?

Rynnec

The only thing we know about Fate/ufotable is that it's happening.

Foggle

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on September 14, 2013, 06:59:17 PM
Will they be adapting a different route from the visual novels?
No way of knowing. If I had to guess though, it'll probably be either UBW or HF, both of which are far superior to the Fate route.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I just watched episode 96 of Hunter X Hunter, which was fucking great. I also started watching Hajime no Ippo, which is also pretty great (at least so far).

LumRanmaYasha

So, I decided to try and watch the Great Teacher Onizuka anime again, solely dubbed this time, and started from the beginning again because it's been over half a year since I last tried to watch it, and I only got up to episode 4 before anyway so I figured I might as well, and as of today I've finished the first 7 episodes.

Now that I've finished the story through the manga, and know what to expect in terms of plot and the characters, I'm actually enjoying the anime more than I did previously. Steve Blum absolutely nails Onizuka and I can't imagine anyone else doing a better job. Wendee Lee's Fuyutski is great, and Uchidayama sounds perfect as well although I'm blanking as to who plays him right now. The other voices are a lot more hit or miss, but sound so weird at times, like Mrs. Sakurai, that they turn around and become hilarious. So bad it's amazing indeed.

However, one of the biggest things I'm getting a kick out of is that Noborou and Kickuchi, not only do they sound exactly the same... they both also sound EXACTLY LIKE DON PATCH! I mean, I've heard Kirk Thorton in other roles before (Rai-Dei, The Claw, The Baby, Mad Pierrot, Saito Hajime, etc.), but his signature role, in my opinion, will always be the Don. Just like how Mel Blanc will always be Bugs Bunny, and Dan Castellaneta will always be Homer Simpson, Kirk Thorton IS Don Patch; nobody else could possibly do that psychotic loon any better, and he's a big reason as to why I love that character so dearly. And his Noborou and Kickuchi sound so exactly like the Don I can't help but chuckle whenever they speak. I mean, "Don't be absurd. I think FIVE evil steps ahead"? With lines like that, in Thorton's Don Patch voice...it makes me half-expect Noborou or Kickuchi to suddenly start forcing people to buy churros, or use a stick of butter as a guitar to (very poorly) sing a rock version of "Old McDonald," or recite haikus about ramen-stealing ninjas called "Ninja Tongue," or for one of them to scream at the top of their lungs "YOU IDIOT! BOBOBO IS NOTHING! I AM THE MAIN CHHAAAAARACCCTTTEEEEEERRRRR!!!!!!!"

So...yeah, I'm enjoying the Onizuka dub.   ;D

The Shadow Gentleman

TheEclecticDude

Well, watching Hyakko (a gift from Okazu's Yuri-con herself). Won it in a contest from that website on the condition I do a review/writeup on Disc 2 for the Okazu website. So, currently working on that.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I'm 15 episodes into Hajime no Ippo, and it's excellent so far. If it keeps up this level of quality throughout the entire anime, it may even manage to take Slam Dunk's place as my favorite sports anime (though to be fair, I haven't even watched that many to begin with).

Grave

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on September 15, 2013, 03:50:17 PM
I'm 15 episodes into Hajime no Ippo, and it's excellent so far. If it keeps up this level of quality throughout the entire anime, it may even manage to take Slam Dunk's place as my favorite sports anime (though to be fair, I haven't even watched that many to begin with).

Ah, now you're talking my language. I don't really watch sports anime, but Hajime no Ippo's the only exception, and even then I treat it like it's an action series. But yes, it really is a masterpiece. If you don't mind me asking, how are you watching it? What site? I haven't been able to find a site that stream anime so I've been missing out, and I've been wanting to rewatch HnI as of late.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Oh, I probably should have mentioned how I'm watching this one, before. I'm actually not streaming it. I've been renting out the DVDs from my local library (that's right, those old Geneon releases). They don't carry that many anime that I'm interested in, but I noticed that they recently added this to their catalogue, so I decided that it'd be the perfect oppurtunity for me to check this series out.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I really like how HNI is one of the few series that actually manages to make me give a shit about other characters' fights besides just the ones involving the main character. I also think Miyata is one of the best rivals in a shounen series that I've seen so far, since he is actually a likable character. While I like Slam Dunk, I always felt that Rukawa was an extremely 1-dimensional prick until much later into the series, and even then I never felt too interesting in any of his character moments, because he just wasn't the type of character that I could get behind. Usually the rival characters in these types of series are always the goal for the main character to strive to beat, but I like how HNI throws a curve to this logic and instead has Miyata be the underdog compared to Ippo, ever since Ippo took him down in their second match, and Miyata couldn't make it to the finals for his third match with Ippo because of losing his fight with Mashiba (which was an excellent match, BTW). The other cool twist is that despite being the underdog compared to Ippo, Miyata is still considered to be the boxing prodigy for his insanely good technique, and he has that calm and composed nature that you'd expect a rival to have, except the creator of this series (or writers for the anime, since that's the version that I'm watching right now) knew that just because he was like that didn't mean that he had to come off as a dick to other people to look cool. I wish that more shounen series would follow suit with this kind of logic.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Ippo vs. Vorg was yet another amazing match. The last few minutes of that fight were some of the most intense that I've seen in this series so far.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I just finished watching the first series for Hajime no Ippo. That final championship match between Ippo and Sendo was insane; probably one of the best fights that I've ever seen in a shounen series (and that's saying A LOT). Yeah, this was an excellent, EXCELLENT shounen anime, and even overtakes Slam Dunk as the best sports series that I've seen. Now I just need to find a place to watch New Challenger, or hit up the manga if I have to continue the series that way.

LumRanmaYasha

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on September 15, 2013, 03:50:17 PM
I'm 15 episodes into Hajime no Ippo, and it's excellent so far.
Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on September 18, 2013, 02:48:50 AM
I just finished watching the first series for Hajime no Ippo.

You watched the other 61 episodes in only three days? I'm impressed!  :worship:

I've been meaning to check out Hajime no Ippo myself, and maybe I'll finally get around to it sometime this year. I might try and read the manga also, but it's 1000+ chapters and still ongoing, and I'm not really sure I want to commit to reading through it before other manga on my backlog. If I watch the anime and get a grasp on the story and characters enough, though, I could probably follow the new chapters as they come out, much like how I started to keep up with the One Piece, Case Closed, and Toriko mangas, where I hadn't read all of the series to their current points, but had watched/read enough of them to keep up with their newest chapters while I took my time reading the previous story arcs I hadn't read yet (it helped that, in One Piece's case, I started keeping up with the manga during Impel Down  ;) ).