What Are You Watching?

Started by Spark Of Spirit, January 21, 2011, 11:53:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gunswordfist

Finished episode 23 of HXH 1999. My favorite part of the Hunter Exam is over. Gon got Hisoka's badge. The part where Hisoka meets Leorio and Kurapika is better in this version than what I remember in 2011. Kurapika seemed to have better planning and I'm sure he wasn't willing to fight at all in 2011 nor did he show that he had two blades (that was a surprise to me). lol At Hisoka wearing the blow gun guy's hat. I have always loved that Gon said he doesn't want to owe anyone anything. A good trait for a child to have.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I liked the realistic portrayal of Gon getting poisoned by the blow dart. He was paralyzed for an entire day, obviously felt like shit, and even had gag reflexes such as vomiting. It really gives you the sense of just how dangerous and cruel things can get in this series. In the 2011 anime, it just feels like he's over it in no time, which made it feel considerably less threatening.

LumRanmaYasha

I agree, I'm just saying that at least Madhouse isn't pulling a Toei by stretching it too thin. 5 or 6 chapters an episode for most of this part of the arc would be a benefit.

I think the real thing that's causing issues, though, is the narration. Reading about what people are going through is fine, but listening to it is very tiring and makes things seem like they are dragging longer than they really are. In addition to this, I feel some of the music goes on too long and is over-repeated and monotonous at parts. It's not quite as obnoxious, but this is almost InuYasha-level music misusage territory imo. When the music isn't timed right with the scenes it makes things feel slower and less engaging than they should. I think these issues are what's been bugging me more than how much happens in the episodes, personally.

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on February 20, 2014, 04:19:30 PM
and if the manga ever resumes after that then they can wait a few years and then do a Final Act type series to finish up the rest of the story

Seeing Madhouse try and cram 90 chapters of story into 6 episodes would be amazing:joy:

gunswordfist

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on February 20, 2014, 05:22:31 PM
I liked the realistic portrayal of Gon getting poisoned by the blow dart. He was paralyzed for an entire day, obviously felt like shit, and even had gag reflexes such as vomiting. It really gives you the sense of just how dangerous and cruel things can get in this series. In the 2011 anime, it just feels like he's over it in no time, which made it feel considerably less threatening.
Damn, it was a day? I wasn't paying attention. In 2011, the dart guy gets killed right after he leaves (his body falls by Gon's) so Gon basically got up in minutes (then got KOd by an uppercut that looked just like the one Leorio gets hit with in 1999, lol)

gunswordfist

I watched episode 24, 25 and 26 this early morning. So that's what ek was talking about with the poison. Silly me.

I remember thinking the snake cave part was boring and expected to be lousy watching that part/episode. I was wrong. I forgot about Gon getting stung and strangled by all of those snakes while trying to get an antidote that may have not been there. Overall, I like my favorite part of the Hunter Exam more in 1999. That's a good sign.

Episode 26 was pretty funny. A good calm before the dark part.

gunswordfist

Episode 27 is finished. Hisoka vs. Kurapika was first in this one. I see what they were going for in the 2011 version and I respect both versions of the fight. Also, there goes Hisoka seeming even crazier than his 2011 counterpart again.

VLordGTZ

Yesterday, I watched the first 4 episodes of Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn.  I'm not too familiar with the Gundam franchise (I've only seen Build Fighters and a few eps of Mobile Suit Gundam), but I found Unicorn to be quite enjoyable.  I'm definitely going to watch episodes 5 and 6 when I find the time.

LumRanmaYasha

Found out that my local Landmark Theatre is going to play Princess Mononoke subtitled at midnight tonight. It'll be fun to see the movie on the big screen, though the trade-off will be missing Toonami (supposedly) airing Viva Namida after all this damn time.

gunswordfist

Watched episode 28 yesterday. Gon vs. Hanzo was more brutal in this one. I don't remember Gon ever getting a chance to fight back in 2011 though. It found it interesting that Killua didn't understand why everyone was laughing. Interesting in a good way. I like how they are showing how he is different from others.

gunswordfist

Finished episode 29. I really liked Gon's talk with Satotz.

Inkwolf

I missed part of my Anime Club meeting this week, so caught up by watching Sound of the Sky episode 9 (even though I've seen the whole series a couple of times now) and still have to figure out which SGT Frog episode(s) I missed.

About to start Penguindrum (once I finish watching Game of Thrones Season 3!)

DEFENSE!! DEFENSE!!___OFFENSE!! OFFENSE!!

Pharass

Just finished Samurai Champloo. My initial opinion of the show remained pretty much the same throughout; while not quite on the same level as Cowboy Bebop this was still an excellent anime. The only episode I outright disliked was the one with the treasure-hunting zombies, that one felt pretty pointless. I also think that Kariya could have been introduced earlier, for a guy who was meant to be the show's final antagonist he didn't leave much of an impression, he was just kinda there.

Those are minor quibbles though; all in all, I certainly enjoyed accompanying Mugen, Jin and Fuu on their journey. Shinichiro Watanabe needs to make more shows.

In every age
In every place
The deeds of men
Remain the same.

gunswordfist

Finished episode 30. So 9/10 episodes later than in 2011, Illumi reveals who he is. In 2011, I thought that part was far creepier with how his eyes looks..and of course 2011 Illumi looks a lot less human. Anyway, there's maybe an episode of this arc left then Hunter Exam will be finished. I enjoyed this saga in this version more than 2011, which says something since Hunter Exam is what made me fall in love with HXH in the first place. The only problems I had was Illusion Tree and Battleship Island kind of slowed things down a bit but even then both added something to the show (Leorio's flashback and in BI, we get to see the applicants work with each other. Again, I like seeing Togashi's characters work with non-essential characters.)

gunswordfist

And now episode 31. I forgot to mention that ever since Killua beat that wabbit weirdo in 2011, I've been thinking that needle device or whatever is what mindcontrolled him into killing that martial arts guy in the Exam tournament. I was surprised that Gon actually fought Illumi. That fight also made me think that maybe it was just Illumi's Nen that hypnotized Killua and not both his Nen and that needle thing. IDK and I don't want to know. I'll find out myself. Something else I want to find out myself: Is Ging a Double Star Hunter in this version? I swear he was in 2011. Did Satotz not tell him on purpose? Does he become a Triple Star between now and Greed Island? Also, it was great that the card Kite got from Ging played a part in this and I got to hear some extra info on Ging. And that concludes Hunter Exam. I loved it!

gunswordfist

Just watched episode 32. Nice costume changes Kurapika and Leorio. Anyway, I don't remember them fighting wolf...things or the train ride in 2011 (I may be wrong). 1999 is really showing me how much more I like Leorio. I don't even remember him making me laugh at all in 2011.