What Are You Watching?

Started by Spark Of Spirit, January 21, 2011, 11:53:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gunswordfist

"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Avaitor

Looks like I have more stuff to watch this weekend!

Oh, but I met with my production group for one of my classes today, and the guy has a killer library, including a big selection of anime. After we got some work done, we watched Paprika. I liked it! I see how the film works as a proto-Inception, but I think that I might like it better. The lack of exposition allows for it to feel like a more unique experience.

I still do like Inception, since I did appreciate the science behind it, but Paprika, man.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

gunswordfist

"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

goody2shoes

Quote from: gunswordfist on October 17, 2014, 05:08:44 PM
Wikipedia is unreliable.
myanimelist.net
:il_rope:

Garo might become a slow burn. It hasn't grabbed me since episode 1, but who knows if or when it will come around (Code Geass R1 had a huge payoff for the shoddy first episodes). I wish I could like it more, though.

I just started og. Lupin III, 5 eps in and so far it's def. not what you would expect. It's made during the infancy of anime, and they're clearly still looking for the formula. Which makes it interesting in its own way. Looking forward to the Miyazaki episodes.

Lord Dalek

LumRanmaYasha

It has grown on me with each passing episode. It's a very likable series, at the very least.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Eh, I still think it's the anime equivalent of that TV show that you will just settle with watching because you're too lazy to see what else is on TV. It's still improving with each episode, though, so maybe it'll eventually get to the level of "show that I like to watch to pass the time by during my favorite show's off-season." :>

Foggle

Quote from: goody2shoes on October 17, 2014, 06:36:52 PM
I just started og. Lupin III, 5 eps in and so far it's def. not what you would expect. It's made during the infancy of anime, and they're clearly still looking for the formula. Which makes it interesting in its own way. Looking forward to the Miyazaki episodes.
It's an interesting series, to be sure. Definitely improves a lot once Miyazaki takes over. Some of the really early episodes feel uncomfortably chauvinistic to me. Be sure to watch Part 2, as well (but skip Part 3)!

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

And I remember how you used to tell me that Pink Jacket was great, been though I never cared for it. :>

Anyways, it's been such a long time since I watched Green Jacket, but while it's great as a historical piece of animation, I've always felt that it's a bit wonky in terms of quality. My personal favorite is Red Jacket, which just flat-out holds up the best out of all 3 parts of the classic series.

Foggle

Quote from: Dr. Ensatsu-ken on October 17, 2014, 07:32:10 PM
And I remember how you used to tell me that Pink Jacket was great, been though I never cared for it. :>
It has its moments, but as a whole, it isn't particularly enjoyable. I'd probably only seen the good episodes back then. :shit:

QuoteAnyways, it's been such a long time since I watched Green Jacket, but while it's great as a historical piece of animation, I've always felt that it's a bit wonky in terms of quality. My personal favorite is Red Jacket, which just flat-out holds up the best out of all 3 parts of the classic series.
I think green jacket has the highest highs of the original three series, but red jacket is the only one of consistent quality where you can just pick any ol' episode and have fun.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Well with over a hundred episodes, even Red Jacket had its duds, but there weren't many truly bad episodes. I'd say about 10-20 were just mediocre, and the rest ranged from good to great to amazing.

Come to think of it, though, I don't believe that I've watched every episode of it ever. There are still at least a few that I never got around to. I'll have to fix that someday.

Also, I can't lie, but as bad as some of the dialogue changes can be from the original, I really love the Geneon dub for Red Jacket. Consider it a bit of a guilty pleasure for me.

Foggle

Quote from: Dr. Ensatsu-ken on October 17, 2014, 07:53:10 PM
Well with over a hundred episodes, even Red Jacket had its duds, but there weren't many truly bad episodes. I'd say about 10-20 were just mediocre, and the rest ranged from good to great to amazing.
Yeah, for such a long-running episodic series, its consistent level of quality is remarkable.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I remember back on TV.com when I tried to get Avaitor into this series, and I gave him a list of episode recommendations that I came up with myself. I'll have to see if I can find that list to see how well those specific episodes hold up for me now.

I do remember that I recommend that he watch the first episode just because it's the first, but he didn't like it much, which I suppose I can see since that's probably one of the more average episodes, but he wasn't all too impressed by my other recommendations, so I just figured the show wasn't for him, but then eventually he just seemed to think it was pretty good out of nowhere, or at least had a newfound respect for it. That always baffled me. Perhaps people just don't like the things that I specifically recommend to them. Maybe I should just stop doing that from now on, otherwise I'll jinx their experience somehow. :sweat:

Foggle

Well, people's tastes do change dramatically over time, especially in the transitions between kid-teenager-adult. Like, there was my angsty period where I hated almost everything including my old favorites, and now I love everything good again. ;)

Avaitor

Yeah, I think I warmed up to the franchise after a viewing or two of Castle of Caliogstro and trying some of the episodes you suggested again.

I'm still not as well-versed as either of you guys, but I do really appreciate Lupin now.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/