What Are You Watching?

Started by Spark Of Spirit, January 21, 2011, 11:53:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Those of us American viewers who never saw the short-lived Harmony Gold dub of Dragon Ball were introduced to DBZ first, and then Toonami introduced DB as a prequel around 2001, I believe.

Foggle

Yeah, I don't think any kids back then knew that DBZ was actually a sequel series, or that the original DB was completely different in tone.

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Dr. Ensatsu-ken on February 25, 2015, 03:26:40 PM
Those of us American viewers who never saw the short-lived Harmony Gold dub of Dragon Ball were introduced to DBZ first, and then Toonami introduced DB as a prequel around 2001, I believe.
This is true, because I was one of the first in line to watch Dragon Ball when it premiered on Toonami. I also collected Viz's individual issues of Dragon Ball (but not Z) before they released them in volumes.

It's safe to say I've been a fan of the original Dragon Ball longer than I've been a fan of anime.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

The same is true for me, actually. I wasn't really a fan of anime outside of what aired on Toonami until I expanded my horizons later on.

Avaitor

I think my first exposure to anime was Voltron on Toonami. I never collided with Robotech at the time, even though they were on around that same point, but I distinctly remember watching Voltron regularly. Later I'd watch Speed Racer on CN at late nights, if I could get away with it.

Then Sailor Moon and DBZ made their way to Toonami, and well.

Oh, and I did definitely watch YYH during its [as] run. Never missed an episode, even when I got in trouble.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Spark Of Spirit

Trigun was the first anime series I ever bought. I remember reading about it somewhere and it sounded fun, so I bought the first volume and thought it was excellent. Then I read a review in Animefringe that gave it a D and called it generic, pointless, and would never catch on.

Years later and Animefringe no longer exists, I wonder if he ever changed his mind on the show.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Daxdiv

I think it was either Samurai Pizza Cats, Pokemon, Sailor Moon or Dragon Ball Z. I remember most of them airing on the WB syndication or something.

goody2shoes

Probably Sailor Moon. I was embarrassed to watch it but I liked it ;D Especially the OP/ED which were covered really well in swedish, forever rooted in my memory. Come to think of it, Moomin might be a contender as well. It's based on swedish books by a finn and is really big here, so I wasn't aware it was animated in Japan until recently.

The first show I actually completed was via online streaming: Azumanga Daioh.

Foggle

Quote from: goody2shoes on February 25, 2015, 08:21:25 PM
Nice! That was one of the first ones I watched, too. It was super popular back then. :D

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Foggle on February 25, 2015, 08:27:39 PM
Quote from: goody2shoes on February 25, 2015, 08:21:25 PM
Nice! That was one of the first ones I watched, too. It was super popular back then. :D
It remains the only anime of it's type I have sat all the way through. It's been so thoroughly ripped off since then that I'm not sure if I could re-watch it now.

Lord Il

First exposure to anime had to have been "Battle of the Planets" (the original Gatchaman). It was edited it to the nuts because it was thought the show was too risqué for North American audiences.

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on February 25, 2015, 03:03:41 PM
Quote from: Dr. Ensatsu-ken on February 25, 2015, 02:55:55 PM
I've always been rather perplexed by the fact that I never ran across Samurai Pizza Cats as a kid. It seems like a show that I would've dug at that age, but I never even heard about it until I joined TV.com about 8 or 9 years ago.
I think it was easier to watch here in Canada since, like Sailor Moon, it had a dedicated time-slot on YTV. YTV used to be a great station long ago for airing cartoons from about every country and time period. Not to mention you could watch Rocky & Bullwinkle and then the 60s Batman show at like 6 in the evening. Of course, now it's a garbage station that lost everything that made it good, but back then it had all kinds of shows and it made me a Dragon Ball fan years before I ever read the manga or saw the rest of the anime . . . or before Z blew up.

That reminds me, Sailor Moon would be another anime I saw at a young age.
This! So very much this! :e_pleased:

LumRanmaYasha

You know, I was thinking about sharing how I got into anime and my history with the medium last month, which happened to be the tenth anniversary of when I consider myself to have become a fan of anime, but I got sidetracked by other things and gave up on the thought. I might write about it sometime later when I'm in the right mood to.

gunswordfist

didn't steven jay blum write the naruto english adaptation?

i think inspector gadget, speed racer or whatever the us version of gatchaman was called on cartoon network was my first exposure to anime. i remember seeing some of akira early in my childhood. it may have been my first anime. the scenes with tetsuo getting his cape, putting up his energy shield when he was being shot at and the infamous scene when his arm fuses with the stone chair where all my first memorable anime scenes. either that or gatchaman forming a firebird.

edit: i haven't heard of samurai pizza cats until a fighting game union @ gamespot. i still have no clue what it looks like or how my childhood missed it.

looks like i am not the only way who (may have) also had battle of the planets be their first exposure to anime.

the first image of dbz i remember seeing was vegeta speeding around during the saiyan arc. it was at my great grandmother's as a kid and on some early morning block (apparently kids wb, according to this thread). i thought it looked strange. it was also one of the first anime i have ever seen. i think i may saw pieces of another episode or two, then not again until toonami made it my favorite show.

toonami, adult swim, a few saturday morning blocks, cable/satellite on demand, a few dvds and tapes and some basic cable and movie channels were the only places i watched anime until i went to my local library and got dvds from there and then i figured out how to get dvds from libraries around the country and sent to my library for me to pick up. that's how i got really hooked on baki, guyver and heat guy j.

i didn't watch anime online (via my laptop and the crunchyroll app on 360) regularly until two years ago. literally the only time i have tried to watch an entire anime episode online was when i tried to watch episode 1 of hxh 2011 a few years ago on my brother's pc.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

gunswordfist

After not seeing an episode since last year, around Halloween, I watched another episode of Jojo early this morning. It was the start of the chariot battle Joseph has against Wamuu. Wamuu's my favorite Jojo villain so far.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

goody2shoes

gsf: Just wait until you see the gorilla in SC...

I'm watching Eccentric Family (at ep8). It's really, really good. A family drama with engaging, well developed characters, unusual take on romance, tragedy and philosophical overtones. It's making me think about my own purpose in life and relationship with my family, siblings especially. Hearing that OP always makes me want to try my best to make life the best it can be and not settle for excuses, sorta like the Ping Pong OP.

It's also written by the Tatami Galaxy author, produced by P.A. Works and directed by a colleague of Yuasa's, and they all did a great job. The show is just beautiful all around.

Given the lack of discussion about it here, I can only assume most of you guys haven't watched it. Do it now! :shakeshakeshake: You know... if you want to. :humhumhum: