What Are You Watching?

Started by Spark Of Spirit, January 21, 2011, 11:53:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Avaitor

Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Foggle

Avaitor

Quote from: Foggle on January 03, 2016, 08:12:22 PM
Quote from: Avaitor on January 03, 2016, 03:19:58 PM
Lupin is a nice man~
I love and hate that song. :il_hahaha:
It's groovy, you know, but they play it at the worst possible times.

Watching the original series has been a pretty good experience in my crash course for the franchise. And wow, episode 4 was pretty dark. That's the one where Zenigata finally captures Lupin, and gets him to accept the death penalty

Spoiler
except Lupin switches himself out with a guard at the last minute, and Zenigata has to let Lupin go before the guard fries to death. That, and Lupin still shows some psychological scars after his escape from being locked up for so long. Dark, but good stuff, all in all.
[close]

I'm on episode 5 now, which has Goemon's first appearance. So far, he's a pretty cool addition, although I don't think that I've seen too much of him in the handful of episodes that I've seen of the franchise. Already, they seem to have some sort of friendly rivalry going on, or at least I think that's the direction they're going to head in.

Not bad. Maybe if I have a little more time before I do this week's YYH talkback, I can cheat and watch the next episode today.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Foggle

Episode 4 is one of the best Lupin episodes ever. Dark, hilarious, and surprisingly well-written. My favorite of the pre-Miyazaki era. :)

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I remember trying to get you into Lupin III almost 8 years ago back on TV.com and you just weren't into it then. It's funny how someone's perception of and enthusiasm for something can drastically change with time.

I've had similar experiences, like how I used to be bored by Rurouni Kenshin and NGE, but came to really appreciate both series later on. I also had a period of time where I liked a lot of crappy shonen series like HSDK and D. Gray-Man, but grew a distaste for them later on, and vice versa with good ones like One Piece and almost any sports manga, which I used to be unfairly biased against.

That's why I eventually plan to give the Gundam franchise another shot.

gunswordfist

Quote from: Dr. Ensatsu-ken on January 05, 2016, 07:53:40 PM
I remember trying to get you into Lupin III almost 8 years ago back on TV.com and you just weren't into it then. It's funny how someone's perception of and enthusiasm for something can drastically change with time.

I've had similar experiences, like how I used to be bored by Rurouni Kenshin
and NGE, but came to really appreciate both series later on. I also had a period of time where I liked a lot of crappy shonen series like HSDK and D. Gray-Man, but grew a distaste for them later on, and vice versa with good ones like One Piece and almost any sports manga, which I used to be unfairly biased against.

That's why I eventually plan to give the Gundam franchise another shot.
Mines has never changed. :>

You used to be Avaitor and I didn't even know it? :SHOCK:
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Avaitor

Yeah, I remember not really being into Lupin when I was younger. I gave the second series a fair shot on [as], but I didn't really get it then, and the episodes you recommended me a few years later still didn't wow me. But the older I get, and the more I learn about the franchise's impact and its unique style of humor and nods to its influences, and I really do think that there's something special here.

I've always thought that Castle of Cagliostro was a great movie, though. I'm excited to see that again when I reach it.

New blog!

VLordGTZ

I still need to finish the Red Jacket series and watch a bunch of the specials.   :sweat:

I had a lot of trouble getting into Gundam when I was younger, but I watched the movie trilogy for the original series last year and loved it.  :)

Spark Of Spirit

I've been watching some Yowamushi Pedal. It's a pretty good sports anime from what I've seen so far. Reminds me a bit of Baby Steps.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I've been watching that as well. What a coincidence. :D

Though, I do feel that Sakamichi maybe grows a bit too fast. One thing I really have to give Baby Steps credit for is how it really sells its theme of "Baby steps to giant strides," since Maruo really has to work hard for the slightest of improvements, but they pay off big time after 200+ chapters.

gunswordfist

Gundam is still on my backlog. Funny, I used to hate Gundam and One Piece but now love one.

Avaitor

You might like 08th MS Team, GSF. It's a bit more action-based than a lot of other Gundam series.

0080 is usually the go-to for non-mehca fans, but I'll throw that in for you, as well.

New blog!

Spark Of Spirit

I'm not sure if 0080 would be his thing. But then I never know what Gundam series to recommend to people. Almost everyone has their own favorites and ones they hate with a burning passion.

I still want to see Turn A and 00, for instance, and I've heard all kinds of conflicting info about them.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I actually loved 0080 (and really disliked the franchise back then) since it was short, had an easy-to-follow story, and was stand-alone so you could watch it without knowing anything about the Gundam franchise at all. It's probably the best entry-point for newcomers to the franchise.

gunswordfist

Quote from: Avaitor on January 06, 2016, 09:44:03 AM
You might like 08th MS Team, GSF. It's a bit more action-based than a lot of other Gundam series.

0080 is usually the go-to for non-mehca fans, but I'll throw that in for you, as well.
I'll give both a shot. :) Thank you.