"Superman Returns" Talkback (Spoilers)

Started by Lord Dalek, June 14, 2013, 01:00:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lord Dalek

"Gods are selfish beings who fly around in little red capes and don't share their power with mankind. No, I don't want to be a *god*. I just want to bring fire to the people. And... I want my cut." - Lex Luthor

Release Date: June 28, 2006
Studio: Warner Bros./Legendary/Bad Hat Harry
Director: Bryan Singer
Aspect Ratio: 2.40:1 (HDTV)
Starring: Brandon Routh, Kate Bosworth, James Marsden, Frank Langella, Eva Marie Saint, Parker Posey, Kal Penn, Sam Huntington, and Kevin Spacey

Plot Summary: After eliminating General Zod & the other Kryptonian arch-villains, Ursa & Non, Superman leaves Earth to try to find his former home world of Krypton after astronomers have supposedly found it. When he finds nothing but remnants, he returns home to Earth - to find out that Lois Lane is engaged to a relative of his boss, and that Lex Luthor is at it again - after swindling an elderly, terminally ill woman. The psychopathic Luthor, whose plans to destroy California failed because of Superman's heroics, vows vengeance against the Man of Steel and contrives a new sinister plot - using the crystals of Krypton to build a continent that will wipe out most of North America! Embedded in the continent's structure is Kryptonite - the lethal substance that is Superman's only weakness. Upon learning of Luthor's sinister scheme, Superman must again race against time to stop the psychopathic Luthor before millions - possibly billions - are killed.

COMMENTS?

LD Talkback #220

An misunderstood, woefully underrated film that got destroyed by unrealistic expectations, an incredibly cranky fanbase, and a media who had their knives out for it since day one. Its a lot better than people make it out to be but still it may have done in both Bryan Singer and Brandon Routh's careers single-handedly.

talonmalon333

This is a sequel to Superman 1 and 2, ignoring 3 onward, right?

Lord Dalek

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

At first I didn't like the film, but upon re-watches I found that it had stuff that I liked about it, and while I'd never call it a great film, it really grew on me over time. I disagree with most of the negative opinions on it as well. Sure, it has some stupid moments and stuff that could have been done much better, but the overall package was honestly better than what most people make it out to be, IMO.

Spark Of Spirit

It's alright.

I kinda wish it did better because at this rate we'll never get a non-origin Superman movie ever again.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Peanutbutter

I'm surprised people here liked Superman Returns. I too also liked it. I saw it with my little brother when it was barely still in theaters, and even he liked it despite not being a fan of Superman. I still don't completely get why this gets so much hate, heck the critics were lenient with it! Yet, the fans hate it.  :??:

Superman a stalker? He was checking on Lois, not stalking her. And I also don't get why people dump over him with the baby. He only found out he MIGHT be the father, I don't think it was 100% stated that it could only be his. And if even then, Lois seemed to have a decent relationship with James Marsden's character. He was letting her live her life. If she was sure he was the father and wanted him to in the baby's life he would have.

Honestly, aside from that I think a large part of the hate also comes from Superman fans who were also mutual fans of X-Men bitter that Bryan Singer left the third movie behind. But personally, I thought it was a pretty decent Superman story.