"Superman II" Talkback (Spoilers)

Started by Lord Dalek, June 12, 2013, 12:13:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lord Dalek

THE ADVENTURE CONTINUES...
The three outlaws from Krypton descend to Earth to confront the Man of Steel, in a cosmic battle for world supremacy.

"Son of Jor-el! KNEEL BEFORE ZOD!" - General Zod

Release Date: June 18, 1981
Studio: Warner Bros./Salkind International
Director: Richard Donner (Uncredited in original/Donner Cut); Richard Lester
Aspect Ratio: 2.40:1 (Panavision)
Starring: Gene Hackman, Christopher Reeve, Marlon Brando (Donner Cut Only), Ned Beatty, Jackie Cooper, Sarah Douglas, Margot Kidder, Jack O'Halloran, Valerie Perrine, Susannah York (Lester Cut Only), Clifton James, E.G. Marshall, Mark McClure, and Terrence Stamp

Plot Summary: Picking up where "Superman: The Movie" left off, three criminals from the planet Krypton are released from the Phantom Zone by a nuclear explosion in space. They descend upon Earth where they could finally rule. Superman, meanwhile, is in love with Lois Lane, who finds out who he really is. Lex Luthor escapes from prison and is determined to destroy Superman by joining forces with the three criminals.

LD Talback #217

Just for the record... Donner >>> Lester

Spark Of Spirit

I still haven't seen the Donner cut. Does it put it on par with the original?
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Lord Dalek

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on June 12, 2013, 05:47:07 PM
I still haven't seen the Donner cut. Does it put it on par with the original?
Not quite. The fact that they never shot a proper ending for it in '77 kinda knocks it down a peg.

talonmalon333

I disliked the ending of the Donner Cut.

talonmalon333

So I got around to rewatching this one tonight (the Donner Cut, which I think is easily the superior version). It's still great, but I think it's a shame because this movie has a lot of great ideas. But overall, the first movie is just clearly better. It also showed its age less. But to be fair, this movie is barely even complete.

Still, wonderful movie. But man, that ending... The time rewinding was great in the first movie and it made sense, and it was basically the last resort, the big rule be could not break but did so for Lois... In this one, it still makes sense. But come on, how many times are ya gonna do this, Superman?