Steven Universe

Started by Daikun, May 22, 2013, 02:05:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Insomniac

Got bored and decided to revisit this show for the first time in a while. I remember telling a friend that I dropped the show around the time White Diamond debuted, and his reaction was "So you dropped the show literally right before the finale?", which demonstrated how burned out I was when the show was ongoing. Then I remembered that conversation and though I should at least wrap up the show and watch enough of Future to see how everything resolved.

For what it's worth, SU's a show I can respect for at least pushing the boundaries of what you can do in children's television, and telling the audience that it's okay not to be okay and how to seek help when they feel lost. That some people, no matter their age or background, need to forgive themselves, apologize to others, and find space to heal if they want to grow.

But what I don't like is the execution, where uneven direction and voice direction (no disrespect to Callison, but I think he gets worse at figuring out how to play Steven as a sympathetic character, even worse in Future because the show needs him to do dramatic angst which he really struggles at) squeeze the life out of the concepts. And that takes me back to why I quit in the first place. Even without hiatuses getting in the way, I'm still firmly in the "Townie episodes bad" crowd. Because whenever the show tries to be about the humans, I notice how much the show flounders to write humans. They often come off as blobs with a social media profile bio defining their personality instead of people. One-dimensional characters in a show that demanded more three-dimensional thinking. And I'm not one to talk since I'm pretty socially inept, but this show where figuring out how to improve one's social skills and increase your emotional intelligence often appeared stunted at both fronts.

And all that might explain why the show's always received complicated discourse even from people who discuss the show in good faith. It's like an aspiring psychologist who wants to analyze the mind while simultaneously having a massive blind spot at how people tick. And I know you get people saying "Well, people in real life often don't make sense and often make bizarre life choices", and that's true, but real life people don't have a cinematographer or a director to illuminate why they do what they do. An asshole in real life isn't like an asshole in a story because the latter requires rhythm and nuance to make them intriguingly a cunt and not just some guy who gets on your nerves.