Gargoyles

Started by Dr. Ensatsu-ken, January 09, 2011, 12:01:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peanutbutter

Unfortunately, from that article it doesn't sound like Disney is interested.

Dr. Insomniac

No, I'm sure someone at Disney is considering his proposal. The company's not stupid enough to turn down the guy who made a $250 million profit from a $4.5 million movie. Peele has pull, and to let him pass by and get in the hands of another studio would be foolish.

Peanutbutter

I wish I could say you have a point, but this is Hollywood we're talking about. And even Disney has made the wrong call in the past.

Avaitor

Even if he doesn't get the Gargoyles movie he wants, Disney might find something for Peele to do.

I do worry about him spreading himself thin and biting off more than he can chew like del Toro, and/or Get Out being a fluke, but for now I want to give him the benefit of the doubt.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Dr. Insomniac

QuoteGet Out being a fluke,
Yeah, it will suck if he turns out to be another Blomkamp.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: Avaitor on June 15, 2018, 02:56:46 PMEven if he doesn't get the Gargoyles movie he wants, Disney might find something for Peele to do.

I do worry about him spreading himself thin and biting off more than he can chew like del Toro, and/or Get Out being a fluke, but for now I want to give him the benefit of the doubt.

I understand if you're not a fan of the guy, and his quality definitely varies, but the diversity of the things that he tries is what I find to be most endearing about Guillermo del Toro, even if it results in a lot of cancelled projects. He's made more than one good movie, critically speaking. I personally love Pan's Labyrinth, Blade II, both Hellboy movies, and Pacific Rim myself. The Shape of Water is a tad overrated in my book, but even that at least proves that he can still endear film critics when he wants to. I kind if like his variety in being able to do smaller but more ambitious and artistic films while bringing the same level of care and passion to his Blockbusters. And let's not forget that his brief foray into trying to develop a game concept with Kojima brought us the incredibky memorable PT. Without him, Kojima gives us something as boring-looking as Death Stranding instead, at least conceptually speaking.

In general it's refreshing to see a director who always tries different things and doesn't smugly discriminate against any kind of popular genres in the industry. I mean, compare that with his friend and colleague Innaritu. He's talented on a technical level but is also so ridiculously narrow-minded and self-indulgent in his filmmaking and attitude towards certain kinds of cinema (you all know what I'm talking about) that it's a real turn-off for me. And for every film of his that I can at least appreciate like Birdman, he has something as mind-numbingly boring to match it like The Revnant (I literally struggled to stay awake through that movie).

As for Blomkamp, he seems to be a pretty textbook example of a director who made one successful film (whether it's even any good or not is questionable), and let it go to his head. Definitely a style over substance director in that regard.

As for Peele, it's too early to tell whether he'll have any staying power or not.

Dr. Insomniac

While Peele's staying power hasn't been cemented yet, I still think it would be odd for Disney to ignore him. They did recruit Lin-Manuel Miranda, Ava DuVernay, and Ryan Coogler after they all made their big hits, so I can't imagine them breaking that trend for Peele.

Avaitor

Well, when I was talking about del Toro running himself thin, I meant more of his tendency to attach himself to twenty different things and for only like, three of them to be made, rather than my own personal opinions on his filmmaking.

Right now Peele has at least one movie committed for next year, and it sounds like he has ideas for a couple more, plus his Lovecraft-inspired series, and he's also attached to a new Twilight Zone and possibly also the Akira film. Not to mention reuniting with Key for Henry Selick's new movie. I think it would be fair to worry that his plate is getting too full.

tbh, I feel like Disney is keeping the Gargoyles movie on the backburner for now so they can try to convince Peele to do a Marvel, Star Wars, or live-action remake. If they can't find anything else for him to agree to, then it might happen. I'd be very surprised if they don't want to work with him, but I can understand Disney's ambivalence to reviving Gargoyles. Or actually maybe not, if DuckTales' cross-generational appeal is any indication.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

GregX

Quote from: Dr. Insomniac on December 28, 2018, 04:27:49 AM
Here's an article where I talk out of my ass about an episode of Gargoyles.

Not a favorite. Good article, though. Good discussion topics...

My friend, Jennifer, and I are launching a new Gargoyles podcast in a couple of months: Voices From the Eyrie. We have two episodes recorded but I want a buffer of four before we go. It's a combination of a fan discussion podcast and an insider podcast. Greg Weisman is going to be a very regular feature on the show... we've also had on character designer, Greg Guler, and co-producer Frank Paur and I'm sure we'll have them back... plus others. The current plan is go through the show episode by episode, with some detours here and there for shows centered on specific discussion topics.

Your article is something I may cite when we get to "Bushido"... but we're a long way away from there. Years, actually.

LumRanmaYasha

Your new podcast sounds awesome! Really looking forward to it, especially since I've been meaning to rewatch Gargoyles for a while and your pod sounds like it'll be a great deep-dive into it.

GregX

Quote from: LumRanmaYasha on August 13, 2021, 10:44:13 PM
Your new podcast sounds awesome! Really looking forward to it, especially since I've been meaning to rewatch Gargoyles for a while and your pod sounds like it'll be a great deep-dive into it.

I think it's going to be cool; I'm really happy with how the first two shows turned out.

Episode One: Developing the Show w/Greg Weisman and Greg Guler
Episode Two: Making the Show w/Greg Weisman and Frank Paur.

I have a guest wishlist a mile long; Zehra Fazal loaned us her voice for the podcast intro.

I'm just giddy.

LumRanmaYasha

That's so exciting! Can't wait to listen!  :e_hail:

Peanutbutter

'Sup, GregX. Good to see you finally back. Looking forward to the podcast, hopefully sometime you can do an onscreen video with some of the crew in the future!

GregX

Quote from: Peanutbutter on August 16, 2021, 07:19:17 PM
'Sup, GregX. Good to see you finally back. Looking forward to the podcast, hopefully sometime you can do an onscreen video with some of the crew in the future!

Just audio for the time being... but who knows. Maybe down the line we'll upgrade to video.