Co-Op

Started by Spark Of Spirit, July 03, 2011, 02:11:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spark Of Spirit

A thread to share your co-op experiences whether it be old school games like Turtles In Time or Contra, or new school favorites like Left 4 Dead or Borderlands. Maybe even discuss the general concept.

Co-Op is sweet, and my favorite multiplayer mode by far.

While I was looking into the new Earth Defense Force game (I like mindless arcade shooters that emphasize 80s action movie cliches, okay? Don't judge me) and it suddenly came back to me why I enjoy co-op mode more than any other multiplayer. It forces you to not be an asshole, and that my friends, is the hardest temptation of all when you're gaming.

But seriously, high-fiving a friend or screaming "FUCK YEAH!" after working together after achieving an impossible goal... I just don't get the same buzz out of versus.

So what do you guys think?
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

gunswordfist

Co-op....  ;D

I loved co-op modes were you have to work with the other player to advance like in Splinter Cell Chaos Theory and the extremely underrated James Bond Everything Or Nothing.

My favorite co-op game is Contra Hard Corps. My oldest little brother (who by the way is a much better gamer than me) and me used to get slaughter in that game. It took us like a month to get down the first street. Yeah...Even worse it took us like a year to beat the whole game. My brother ended playing by himself with Brownie and then I would jump in. Apparently I was taking most of the lives by dying and coming back so much. Then we got the 4 endings sometime after that. Hard Corps is brutally hard but it's so damn addictive. I want a real sequel with 4 player co-op. Are there even any 4 player shoot em ups?

I also loved House Of The Dead 2. Played that with the same brother. We didn't get past the first game's final boss but we still had a lot of fun.

We also played Gears Of War. He sent me his copy of the game last month so I am actually going to get around to playing online co-op on it.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Foggle

Co-op is always awesome! Except in Resident Evil 5. Fuck.

After seeing the co-op modes in Crackdown and Saints Row 2, it makes me wonder why those are the only open-world sandbox games with co-op. So much fun! Hopefully Just Cause 3 will have it; that'd be sweet.

I hate how local co-op seems to be dying recently. Recent games with co-op modes tend to only support online play, and that's not nearly as fun.

Eddy

Really? I felt co-op in Resident Evil 5 is the only way to play that game. Playing with the AI is so dull after doing co-op.

Anyway, I love co-op games! My friends and I have had tons of fun playing Borderlands and Resident Evil 5.

Foggle

Quote from: Eddy on July 03, 2011, 12:18:55 PM
Really? I felt co-op in Resident Evil 5 is the only way to play that game. Playing with the AI is so dull after doing co-op.
You are mistakenly under the impression that I enjoyed it in single-player. ;)

It's better in co-op, for sure. Good for one run, MAYBE. It has horrid replay value, though, and is creatively bankrupt until the last few sections which play out like a completely different game. The DLC was actually good, though.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I played about half-way through the game with my older brother on co-op. I thought it was pretty fun, honestly (though I can't imagine playing it on single-player during some segments, because those would just be way too frustrating if your partner was controlled by an AI), but I never got to finish playing it since my brother had to leave for about a month after that.

I really enjoyed what I played of L4D2 on co-op. I kind of wish it could be played off-line, though, since it would be so much more fun for me to play it with my friends in the room with me so we could crack jokes and trash-talk and do all of that fun stuff that just doesn't feel the same at all online.

The Gears of War games are always fun on co-op, and I look forward to playing GoW3 with one of my friends back at college when that comes out, but overall its not really the type of game that I would typically play more than one time through.

It would be nice if Ninja Gaiden 3 actually implemented a sensible co-op mode that was balanced, creative, and fun to play through, but seeing how Hayashi made such a bland and mediocre co-op mode for Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2, I'm not holding my breath for it to be any better in NG3.

Now, having a co-op mode in a classic 2D style NG game would be killer. In fact I'm not quite sure why Tecmo didn't do that 20 years ago when the NES games were in their height of popularity. That seems like such a wasted opportunity to me, personally.

Spark Of Spirit

Well, L4D1 and 2 and Borderlands have two player split screen, but I understand the complaint. There's nothing quite like 4 people in the same room having a blast.

I still remember last gen playing Crystal Chronicles and PSO on my Gamecube with four people on the same system. It doesn't get more awesome than that.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Angus

Crystal Chronicles 4P? How does that work? Sorry, only have experience with Crystal Bearers and the 2P option is really weak.
"You don't have to eat the entire turd to know that it's not a crab cake." - Bean, Shadow of the Hegemon

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Angus on July 03, 2011, 04:58:13 PM
Crystal Chronicles 4P? How does that work? Sorry, only have experience with Crystal Bearers and the 2P option is really weak.
Each person connects their GBA as a controller via link cable and manages their inventory and equipment there while the main screen is reserved for the action. The game is brilliant at multiplayer, and I really hope Square ports it to the 3DS as online and dual screens would make this an even better experience.

Rynnec

Ah yes, Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles. Me and my cousin played that game almost all the time, of course, it took us 7(RL) years to actually beat the game. :lol:

I was quite dissapointed that the other Crystal Chronicles games seemed to focus more on story and single player stuff, hopefully they'll make another multiplayer focused one.

ToonFaithful

Red Dead Redemption co-op is relaxing. If you have the right players though, sometimes I get stuck with idiots who can't play the game and keep on using explosives. :burn:

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Now that I have XBL for a little while and L4D2 must have come down a bit in price, I was considering trying to get a used copy of that for the XBOX360, but if I did would anyone who has that version of the game be willing to play it on co-op with me? As usual, I can't get it for the PC since my laptop is shit and can't even run older games very well, so really the XBOX360 is unfortunately my only option.

Spark Of Spirit

I'm always up for some L4D co-op. I have also yet to play L4D2 with a full party. The max I've gotten has been three.  :'(

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Ah, Getting 4 buddies (even if they are only online pals), would be pretty awesome. I played a fair amount of the game myself on a friend's PC, but only one of us could play at a time offline, and online I always had to play with random people and I couldn't really coordinate well with them since everyone was just doing their own thing....and that's not how L4D's co-op works. People NEED to help each other out to get through it (unless you're playing on the easiest difficulty or something). I swear every-time I got got downed by a Witch or Hunter or Jockey or whatnot, I was basically screwed from that point on....:(

Spark Of Spirit

You can also ask in the gamertag thread at TZ, but other than me, Eddy, Vyse, and Dax, I don't think anyone else plays L4D on the 360 there.