THIS BETTER BE A RUMOR

Started by Spark Of Spirit, March 30, 2012, 08:02:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spark Of Spirit

I'm not kidding

Normally I would post this in the other thread, but a world of video games without Sega (even if its just part of it) is not something I want to be a part of. This is something that better not be true.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Eddy

Whoa, what? I had heard Sega had a bunch of layoffs but I didn't hear anything about them closing up completely.

I hope this isn't true.

Commode

Yeah, I heard about the layoffs and the cancelling of games(hopefully not JSR, please not JSR), but for them to close their doors would simply be shocking.
It doesn't matter what you say, soon you'll be dead anyway.

Foggle

From what I've heard, Sega of America and Sega of Europe will be "streamlining" into one entity. This basically means that a ton of people will lose their jobs, but Sega will still continue to operate in the west.

Rynnec

QuoteMan, this all feels like The Great Videogame Crash of 2012.

Which is obviously isn't, but still.

I just don't know what to say right now. Other than that, if this is true, I'm one step closer to shunning modern gaming.

Foggle

Added more to my previous post, which will hopefully shed light on this matter.

Spark Of Spirit

Apparently SoA manages to live

But I have to say this is easily the worst gaming rumor I have ever heard. I'm seriously considering stopping with the Wii-U then moving into retro gaming. If Sega or Nintendo leave gaming, I'm done.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Foggle

It would take a lot for me to give up on modern gaming. Now, if Insomniac, Croteam, CD Projekt RED, Eidos Montreal, Sega, Nintendo, Platinum, Grasshopper, Valve, Gearbox, Rockstar, Atlus, Remedy, and Flying Wild Hog all shut down, then yeah, I'd stop caring. ;)

Spark Of Spirit

It's different for me. Without Sega or Nintendo my interest just wouldn't be there anymore. They basically made gaming what it is when it was almost gone.

They're a whole other level of important that represent a time in gaming where everything wasn't run by tremendously dumb budgets, throwaway branding, disc locked content, and didn't look down on creative ideas. Them leaving is the equivalent of the industry saying that the mentality behind that has no room in the industry that they basically built.

No sir, I don't like it.

Spark Of Spirit

Sega finally makes a statement to end this mess

QuoteDue to the challenging economic climate and significant changes within the interactive gaming industry, SEGA has made the decision to consolidate its publishing business in order to focus on developing digital content and driving its existing IP such as Sonic the Hedgehog, Total War, Football Manager and the Aliens franchise. This realignment of the business around existing and digital IP is a necessity to ensure that SEGA continues to invest and enhance its digital business offering, whilst reducing its reliance on traditional packaged goods.

As a result of the SEGA Sammy Board decision to consolidate the business, many of our internal functions will be re-structured and this could result in a number of redundancies within the publishing business across the Western organisation. The company will be entering into a re-structure phase to reflect the unprecedented change in our industry and to move the company forward appropriately.

The changes will position SEGA as a content led organisation, maximising sales with a strong and balanced IP portfolio across both packaged and digital distribution
. The management team are confident that the proposed restructure will benefit the company and make it fit for purpose within the changing nature of the industry over the coming years.
So they're focusing on downloadable games and those four franchises mainly from now on.

I'm sure Anarchy Reigns and Rhythm Thief are still coming, but after that... Who knows?

Foggle

I imagine they'll focus on more franchises than just those (in Japan, at least). That statement was in the GameInformer article I linked earlier btw.

Spark Of Spirit

I wonder what this means for PSO2? The Vita version is most certainly dead after this news, but I wonder if the main PC version is still on its way?

Really anything after Anarchy Reigns and Rhythm Thief is like a complete mystery.

Foggle

PSO2 is going to be F2P on both PC and Vita. They just announced that a couple days ago, I think.

Hopefully microtransactions out the ass will help get Sega back on track.

GaryPotter

I guess the Yakuza franchise is dead. Too bad.

Foggle