Songs You Don't Like by Artists You Love

Started by Avaitor, March 17, 2011, 02:45:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Avaitor

The reverse of Chalmer's thread, but let's stick mostly to songs from era of said artists that you like. I don't mean like entire albums or stuff like that, but any particular songs you don't like?

For one, I love Sonic Youth to death. As far as I'm concerned, they're the best thing to ever happen to alternative. But I hate their Carpenters cover so fucking much. Mostly due to Juno, but even then, it pales in comparison to the original, and Thurston's vocals don't work at all on it. It just pisses me off as a diehard fan of the band. Every little thing.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Foggle

Any slow song by Extreme, honestly. More Than Words was the first song I ever heard by them and without Avaitor's recommendation I probably wouldn't have ever listened to any of their others.

All I can think of right now, really.

Spark Of Spirit

Most post-Reality Fishbone. They worked best as band that did everything, not as band that did weird shit because they could.

Barring bands that should have quite while they were ahead (AKA lost their minds and went into the scrap heap), Get On Top by RHCP on Calfiornication sticks out like a sore thumb. In the middle of this new sound from the band comes this random song that goes back to their old style except nowhere near as good, breaks the album's flow, and is totally boring.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Foggle

Get On Top was one of three songs on that entire album I actually liked more than a little bit. I'm not really a fan of post-Blood Sugar RHCP, though Stadium Arcadium was cool despite being so different. I absolutely hate both One Hot Minute and By The Way, but there are still a couple of winners on each. EDIT: And I now love One Hot Minute as of a year later! Funny how that works.

Personally, I feel like Give A Monkey A Brain was the only Fishbone album that was just being weird for the sake of it. Chim Chim was truly lacking all around (in both musicianship and weirdness) and there were some pretty fun tracks on Still Stuck In Your Throat.

Spark Of Spirit

Chim Chim sounded to me like the definition of trying too hard.

But with those two albums they lost almost all the original members, so it's no wonder they haven't been the same since.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Foggle

Quote from: Desensitized on March 17, 2011, 09:28:12 PM
Speaking of which, I hate it when they try to do metal. Swim... ugh...

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Foggle on March 17, 2011, 09:36:01 PM
Quote from: Desensitized on March 17, 2011, 09:28:12 PM
Speaking of which, I hate it when they try to do metal. Swim... ugh...
It's sort of embarrassing to me that the band who wrote lyrics like Change or Sunless Saturday managed to write stuff like In The Cube (or anything on Chim Chim) as well.

They weren't too good at metal, but their hard rock was tops. Freddie's Dead? Fight The Youth? Behavior Control Technician? Awesome stuff. Not to mention their rock, funk, ska, punk, and how they mixed them together.

Oh, as for awesome-era Fishbone, Babyhead shits up an otherwise brilliant album. Literally the only awful thing from between Truth & Soul and The Reality Of My Surroundings. Everything else on those two albums is top shelf.

Lord Dalek

Springsteen "Human Touch" - frankly the whole album pisses me off but its especially hard to believe that this is the same guy who wrote "Born To Run", "Badlands", and "Hungry Heart" when listening to this shite.

Foggle

Fucking Babyhead... It pains me that people could actually find that song good.

Katie Holt

"Red Light", a song on U2's otherwise awesome album War, is one of the worst pieces of crap I've had the displeasure of listening to.

And I love U2. Easily my favorite band of all time, but I'll still criticize them when I feel it's warranted.
twitter.com/autistic_pidge

tweet me if you wish

now back after a long absence with a different display name. yeah

Geezer

Basically anything on My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy.  Ye sold out, and he made that abundantly clear on that wretched, ego-driven, overdone turd of a record.

Geezer

Another sell-out album full of songs I hate: Universal Mind Control.  Can't believe the same guy that made Resurrection and Electric Circus made that mainstream crap.

Kiddington

Our Lady Peace: basically everything post-"Spiritual Machines".

Their first four albums were excellent, and stood as a great alt. rock act of the 90's. Then they decided to go all "mainstream" and shit, whereby their last three albums have been absolutely and utterly terrible. "Gravity" was just fucking awful, while the other two which followed that were formulaic and mediocre, at best.

From what I understand, they're supposed to be working on a new album this year. I'm basically going to give them one last chance; if this one sucks, I'm done with these guys. Three duds in a row is usually more than I'm willing to give anyway.

Katie Holt

Quote from: Geezer on July 16, 2011, 10:31:57 PM
Basically anything on My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy.  Ye sold out, and he made that abundantly clear on that wretched, ego-driven, overdone turd of a record.
It's a hell of a lot better than anything on Graduation, or 808s & Heartbreak.
twitter.com/autistic_pidge

tweet me if you wish

now back after a long absence with a different display name. yeah

Avaitor

Quote from: Geezer on July 16, 2011, 10:31:57 PM
That's how you can describe every other Kanye album.

The guy's a hack with little good to his name. Always has been, always will be.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/