Lupin the Third vs. Detective Conan

Started by LumRanmaYasha, July 14, 2013, 11:57:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LumRanmaYasha

This movie was announced in April, and after seeing the latest trailer, the fanboy in me is very excited about it.  ;)

Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=XgV35w2_3Co

Don't know what the movie will be about yet, but hopefully it will legitimately be Lupin versus Conan in a battle of wits. While I haven't gotten around to checking it out yet, apparently the television special 4 years ago barely featured Lupin and crew, and it wasn't really "Lupin vs. Conan" and was instead basically "Lupin helps Conan solve a case for his own purposes." Either way, I love the Lupin franchise and Detective Conan has been a favorite of mine for many years, so I'm excited at the chance of seeing two great tastes together.   :)

gunswordfist

Oh man, when both shows had a block at the end of Adult Swim (I think their commercial called it Old School Anime) I think as was probably at its best.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Daikun

Hopefully, this will be better than their first attempt, which was pretty damn pathetic.

LumRanmaYasha

Yeah, I just saw it two days ago, and for a special titled Lupin the Third vs. Detective Conan, i was expecting, you know, Lupin vs. Conan, not Conan solves mystery murder in cliche anime movie plot #1368, with special guest Lupin the Third as...comic relief! Bah.... :oo:

LumRanmaYasha

So, the news of Detective Conan getting legal streaming via Crunchyroll AND the news of the new Lupin the Third anime reminded me that I STILL hadn't seen this movie, so I finally decided to watch it.

It was actually really entertaining. Leagues better than the previous special. I loved the character interactions (especially between Conan and Jigen and Conan and Lupin), and just how many of the DC characters they were able to incorporate into the story. Unlike the first special, where the special-only characters took up most of the focus, the movie was very focused on both Lupin and Conan throughout with the movie-only characters only being as important as they needed to be, and not getting in the way of the real action. It was really well-made on the whole. Definitely one of the best anime crossovers I've seen (probably the best, honestly). They could have gone further with the Lupin v. Conan angle, since they inevitably ended up teaming up again, but they made such a good frenemy team that I could really dig it. My only complaint is that the focus felt like it was too much on the Conan characters for a lot of the movie, but the Lupin cast still had a lot of great moments and spotlight overall, so I'm not bothered too much about it. Overall, I was very pleased with the movie. It's nothing spectacular, but it didn't need to be, and it hit all the right notes to please me as a fan of both franchises. It's definitely worth checking out if you're a fan of both series.

Now, when's Lupin v. Magic Kaito going to come out?  :sly:

LumRanmaYasha

I just found out about this. The Lupin the Third vs. Detective Conan movie is now legally streaming on Hulu!

If you're a fan of both shows, I'd recommend giving it a watch. It's a lot of fun and one of the better crossover anythings I've seen in a good while.

LumRanmaYasha

Wow, I didn't think it would ever happen, but Discotek has licensed the movie! Man, it'd be amazing if they somehow are able to dub it with the original english VA's for both series as well, but I'm just happy to see this fun flick get a physical release stateside.