Ninja Gaiden Series

Started by Dr. Ensatsu-ken, December 27, 2010, 11:09:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rynnec

Rachel really is unwieldly to use. She isn't anywhere near as polished as Ryu. Her boss battle with Gamov was also kinda cheap to (those guns do way too much damage). At least her levels are short.

gunswordfist

God damn spirit fish! Ghost fish are extremely easy to beat on land but above and below water is a real problem. After I while, I just went to sleep early this morning after it took too long to find the way out with all those damn fish following me.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

The fish are actually extremely easy to kill underwater. Just get out your bow gun (yes, it actually DOES serve a purpose in this game), and keep tapping B repeatedly. You don't even have to aim it. It'll automatically kill a bunch of them instantly once they get near you.

Of course, if you're like me, I would suggest not even confronting the fish. Just run straight to the boss fight and after defeating it you'll complete the chapter, then you'll start up the next chapter in the same area where you defeated the boss and will be free to explore the ruins and look underwater for hidden treasure without any ghost fish to get in your way since they disappear after you kill the boss. ;)

Quote from: Rynnec on March 30, 2012, 12:56:01 AM
Rachel really is unwieldly to use. She isn't anywhere near as polished as Ryu. Her boss battle with Gamov was also kinda cheap to (those guns do way too much damage). At least her levels are short.

Also, keep in mind that this is one of the only noticeable additions that Yosuke Hayashi made to the game that was clearly not in Black (that is to say that he and the part of the team working under him made this from scratch, without just building off of Itagaki's material). Compare that to the rest of the game and it just feels out of place and boring, and Rachel's animations aren't even as well-designed as Ryu's (seriously, she walks like she's got a pole up her ass). Now, the guy who was behind this addition to the game was also the guy in-charge of creating Ninja Gaiden 3 from scratch. All of a sudden it becomes clear why that game turned out to be as big of a disaster as it did. ;)

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

If nothing else, I believe Ninja Gaiden 3 can at least match Resident Evil for having some of the most hilarious bad dialogue in gaming, and it achieved it with only 1 game alone! Take a look at some of this brilliant writing that Team Ninja was up to when coming up with the story which they were clearly focusing on more than the actual gameplay:

"I keep forgetting you're a Ninja" (seriously, this line in any context in a game with freaking NINJA in the title automatically qualifies as bad dialogue)

A scene from the 2nd level of the game:

Mizuki: "It's alright Kana, you don't have to be afraid of him. He may look kinda scary, but he's a good man."
Ryu: "I'm not....scary...."

(OK, Were this actually intentional it would be legitimately funny given Ryu's priceless reaction in this scene, but Hayashi clearly took this game very seriously, so it makes this scene even more ridiculous and hilarious :D ).

Another scene:

Regent: "Ah! Fast as ever! You ninja are nothing if not punctual."
Ryu: "You again. Now I know LoA is up to something. Tell me about the dinosaurs!"
Regent: Ah! Clones, from fossil cells."
Ryu: "Why?"
Regent: "Hahahaha! Why? Business, of course! How many children would want a dinosaur as a pet? We could sell millions of the things!"

Actually, to be fair I do believe that last line was supposed to be intentionally sarcastic, but if you watch the scene its still funny in a way that they clearly didn't intend. Whoever voice acts as the Regent knows how absurd and badly written the dialogue is and plays him WAY over the top, which is actually sadly one of the most entertaining things about the game. :P

Foggle

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on April 02, 2012, 01:16:32 AM
Regent: "Hahahaha! Why? Business, of course! How many children would want a dinosaur as a pet? We could sell millions of the things!"
lmfao, are you kidding me? How was someone even capable of writing this without instantly bursting into flames?

gunswordfist

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on April 02, 2012, 01:16:32 AM
If nothing else, I believe Ninja Gaiden 3 can at least match Resident Evil for having some of the most hilarious bad dialogue in gaming, and it achieved it with only 1 game alone! Take a look at some of this brilliant writing that Team Ninja was up to when coming up with the story which they were clearly focusing on more than the actual gameplay:

"I keep forgetting you're a Ninja" (seriously, this line in any context in a game with freaking NINJA in the title automatically qualifies as bad dialogue)

A scene from the 2nd level of the game:

Mizuki: "It's alright Kana, you don't have to be afraid of him. He may look kinda scary, but he's a good man."
Ryu: "I'm not....scary...."

(OK, Were this actually intentional it would be legitimately funny given Ryu's priceless reaction in this scene, but Hayashi clearly took this game very seriously, so it makes this scene even more ridiculous and hilarious :D ).

Another scene:

Regent: "Ah! Fast as ever! You ninja are nothing if not punctual."
Ryu: "You again. Now I know LoA is up to something. Tell me about the dinosaurs!"
Regent: Ah! Clones, from fossil cells."
Ryu: "Why?"

Actually, to be fair I do believe that last line was supposed to be intentionally sarcastic, but if you watch the scene its still funny in a way that they clearly didn't intend. Whoever voice acts as the Regent knows how absurd and badly written the dialogue is and plays him WAY over the top, which is actually sadly one of the most entertaining things about the game. :P
AHHHHHHH-HAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAA!!!

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

EXCELLENT Fan video review of Ninja Gaiden 3. This is a well-made fan review of Ninja Gaiden 3 by a sensible fan of the series intended for other sensible fans of the series. It basically directly compares Ninja Gaiden 3 to its predecessors and points out just why its such a big step down for the series, as well as why its just not a good game even in its own right. I really wish there was some way to get every single member of Team Ninja involved with this game to watch this review. THEY really need to see shit like this to realize just how badly they fucked up with this game.

Foggle

Lol, I love this guy's description of Ninja Gaiden 2's plot. The video is completely spot on, especially his opinion of Steel On Bone. As someone who enjoys films like I Saw The Devil and loves the level of blood/gore in MadWorld, I find the concept of SOB to be sick and disgusting. Hayashi is clearly a sociopath. :P
Ryu: I've just... never thought about being a father. I'm touched. :whuh:

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: Foggle on April 02, 2012, 10:01:07 PM
Lol, I love this guy's description of Ninja Gaiden 2's plot.

"In Ninja Gaiden II, Ryu gets something stolen from his house and he wants that shit back. So, he kills all the dudes who stole his shit and saves the world in the process." LOL :D

QuoteThe video is completely spot on, especially his opinion of Steel On Bone. As someone who enjoys films like I Saw The Devil and loves the level of blood/gore in MadWorld, I find the concept of SOB to be sick and disgusting. Hayashi is clearly a sociopath. :P

Yeah, I love how he calls NG2 senseless violence yet replaces its cartoony and over-the-top dismemberment with a downright sadistic bone cutting mechanic that isn't even actually any fun to pull off. Its just gross.

QuoteRyu: I've just... never thought of being a father. I'm touched. :whuh:

A part of me died when I heard him utter that line. :'(

gunswordfist

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on March 30, 2012, 12:53:01 PM
The fish are actually extremely easy to kill underwater. Just get out your bow gun (yes, it actually DOES serve a purpose in this game), and keep tapping B repeatedly. You don't even have to aim it. It'll automatically kill a bunch of them instantly once they get near you.

Of course, if you're like me, I would suggest not even confronting the fish. Just run straight to the boss fight and after defeating it you'll complete the chapter, then you'll start up the next chapter in the same area where you defeated the boss and will be free to explore the ruins and look underwater for hidden treasure without any ghost fish to get in your way since they disappear after you kill the boss. ;)

I avoided this on purpose due to me hating anything being spoiled/love of discovery for myself but either way, it still didn't tell me where the hell the way out was. I searched for problem over two hours until I found that damn key on that seemingly random pillar.

Anyway, I love the hell out of the music in Volf's level. That was one hell of a level. I was really impressed. That would have been like half of a game for one of today's shitty games. (Even though I think I may have forgotten where one level began and another level ended because they ran together)

gunswordfist

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on April 02, 2012, 10:07:28 PM
Quote from: Foggle on April 02, 2012, 10:01:07 PM
Lol, I love this guy's description of Ninja Gaiden 2's plot.

"In Ninja Gaiden II, Ryu gets something stolen from his house and he wants that shit back. So, he kills all the dudes who stole his shit and saves the world in the process." LOL :D

Quote:D

Rynnec

At the end game of Sigma right now (chapter 18). Outside a few really frustrating moments (the Fireworms, and the Spirit Fish, which I'll go into more detail later) the games been a blast.  Alma (both forms) was suprisingly easy once you get the hang of dodging her attacks, Same deal with Doku (at least his first form). The other bosses I don't really remember any being particularly hard or easy. And out of all enemies, only the Red Dino Fiends have been giving me any noteworthy trouble. Of course, this brings me to my most hated enemy...

Those damned spirit fish. Seriously, they're such a goddamn cheap-ass bunch. You can't block them (at least from what I can tell), they only have one attack, they always come in swarms, and worst of all, they're challenging in an annoying way. I'd honestly rather fight an army of Red Dinos then deal with those damn fish again, at least they require actual skill and strategy to beat, with the fish the only way to deal with them is to equip the flails and mindlessly mash the attack button until all 5 dozen of them are dead.

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on April 02, 2012, 09:34:16 PM
EXCELLENT Fan video review of Ninja Gaiden 3. This is a well-made fan review of Ninja Gaiden 3 by a sensible fan of the series intended for other sensible fans of the series. It basically directly compares Ninja Gaiden 3 to its predecessors and points out just why its such a big step down for the series, as well as why its just not a good game even in its own right. I really wish there was some way to get every single member of Team Ninja involved with this game to watch this review. THEY really need to see shit like this to realize just how badly they fucked up with this game.

Have you watched his playthrough of the game? It's a great way of experiencing the game without having to waste time actually playing it.

Foggle

Quote from: Rynnec on April 04, 2012, 07:45:23 PM
Have you watched his playthrough of the game? It's a great way of experiencing the game without having to waste time actually playing it.
Watching it now. NG 3 really reminds me of those awful Painkiller sequels where you'd end up sitting in one area for 10+ minutes fighting the exact same enemies over and over as they constantly respawned. Boring as hell.

Foggle

This first battle with the red-robed guy actually looks really fun. Very reminiscent of the boss fights in the Yakuza series.

Literally the only thing that's appealed to me so far.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: Rynnec on April 04, 2012, 07:45:23 PM
At the end game of Sigma right now (chapter 18). Outside a few really frustrating moments (the Fireworms, and the Spirit Fish, which I'll go into more detail later) the games been a blast.  Alma (both forms) was suprisingly easy once you get the hang of dodging her attacks, Same deal with Doku (at least his first form). The other bosses I don't really remember any being particularly hard or easy. And out of all enemies, only the Red Dino Fiends have been giving me any noteworthy trouble. Of course, this brings me to my most hated enemy...

Glad to see you're enjoying it. Sigma did tone down some of the difficulty from NGB on the XBOX, but overall its still mostly the same mechanics. That said, I think you can see by now that many people have overrated the difficulty of the 3D NG games (mostly casual gamers who couldn't get past the 1st level of course ;) ). This is unfortunate, because so many people were steered away from the game thinking it was impossible, when really it just had a bit of a steeper learning curve than most other action games. This is the same thing that kept DMC games from being as popular as it really deserved (its certainly popular among hardcore gamers, but its another series that casual gamers have strayed away from just because they here its really hard, when its more of a game with a longer learning curve and one that punishes button mashing).

QuoteThose damned spirit fish. Seriously, they're such a goddamn cheap-ass bunch. You can't block them (at least from what I can tell), they only have one attack, they always come in swarms, and worst of all, they're challenging in an annoying way. I'd honestly rather fight an army of Red Dinos then deal with those damn fish again, at least they require actual skill and strategy to beat, with the fish the only way to deal with them is to equip the flails and mindlessly mash the attack button until all 5 dozen of them are dead.

Hahaha, I was waiting for your reaction to this enemy. Those things were a nightmare for me on my first time playing through the game as well. I also noticed that mashing the flails is the most common strategy that newcomers use to deal with them (myself included, the first time I played through the game). It'll really infuriate you when you realize it, though, but there is a REALLY simple way to defeat them without taking any damage and making a ton of essence off them in the process. Since you're already past them there's no point in explaining the method, but if you chained UTs with the Dabilahro, they would become a piece of cake. Its the fact that they have only one attack that makes them so exploitable in the end. That said, they ARE a pretty stupid enemy. I'm not sure what Itagaki was smoking when he decided to put ghost fish as an enemy in the game. I mean, think about it, they are flying ghost forms of fish....WTF kind of enemy is that? :D

QuoteHave you watched his playthrough of the game? It's a great way of experiencing the game without having to waste time actually playing it.

I watched his first video, but then couldn't bare to watch anymore because the monotony of the game just drove me insane. With Ninja Gaiden Black/Sigma and NG2, I could watch pros play those games for hours and see what kind of sick combos they come up with or how they effectively and efficiently deal with a tough group of enemies in a record time with skill, proficiency, and good strategy. Ninja Gaiden 3 is the first NG game that's just flat-out boring me for me to even watch being played, and is probably even more boring to play.