Ninja Gaiden Series

Started by Dr. Ensatsu-ken, December 27, 2010, 11:09:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spark Of Spirit

Check out what's coming to the 3DS (hopefully as 3D classics):

Though I think the arcade game is mislabeled and is actually the first NES game.  They wouldn't skip 1 for 2 and 3 when 1 is the most popular.

Heck, I'd actually rebuy them all for portability. Specifically 2.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Foggle

Very nice. I'd happily buy them all!

Back to NG 3; is Ryu fucking quick-scoping with his bow? This game just gets worse and worse...

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: Foggle on April 04, 2012, 08:51:25 PM
This first battle with the red-robed guy actually looks really fun. Very reminiscent of the boss fights in the Yakuza series.

Literally the only thing that's appealed to me so far.

That battle is pretty much one of the only highlights of this game, but the sad thing is that EVEN THAT has been done better in previous NG games. I mean, compare that battle to THIS one from NGB, and tell me which one seems more intense and requires more skill.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on April 04, 2012, 08:58:13 PM
Check out what's coming to the 3DS (hopefully as 3D classics):

Though I think the arcade game is mislabeled and is actually the first NES game.  They wouldn't skip 1 for 2 and 3 when 1 is the most popular.

Heck, I'd actually rebuy them all for portability. Specifically 2.

The description for the Arcade NG game does indeed sound more like the arcade NG game than the NES one. It'd be strange to exclude the first game from the package and replace it with the arcade game, though. That said, I'd happily buy a collection like that if I owned a 3DS.

I must admit, for a second I got excited by your post because for some reason I thought it was showing some announcement of a new 2D side-scroller NG game for the 3DS, but then reality hit me when I realized that the hacks at Tecmo and Team Ninja would never actually think to do something awesome like that for fans of the series who have bee dying for a new 2D game for ages. :(

Foggle

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on April 04, 2012, 09:05:26 PM
Quote from: Foggle on April 04, 2012, 08:51:25 PM
This first battle with the red-robed guy actually looks really fun. Very reminiscent of the boss fights in the Yakuza series.

Literally the only thing that's appealed to me so far.

That battle is pretty much one of the only highlights of this game, but the sad thing is that EVEN THAT has been done better in previous NG games. I mean, compare that battle to THIS one from NGB, and tell me which one seems more intense and requires more skill.
Awesome. Bonus points for the Doppelgangers not having any cheap-ass grab moves.

ARK just hit Steel On Bone five times in a row. My god Hayashi... what have you done to this series...

Foggle

Everyone... watch this video from 1:15-3:10 and tell me this isn't the worst hack 'n slash game of the past three years.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mSMM_dTRyY&feature=related

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on April 04, 2012, 09:09:27 PMI must admit, for a second I got excited by your post because for some reason I thought it was showing some announcement of a new 2D side-scroller NG game for the 3DS, but then reality hit me when I realized that the hacks at Tecmo and Team Ninja would never actually think to do something awesome like that for fans of the series who have bee dying for a new 2D game for ages. :(
Sakamoto and Ninja Team can "make up" for Other M (though it wasn't that bad gameplay-wise) and NG3 HD by getting together to make a Metroid V and Ninja Gaiden 4 (they even have the writer now!) for the 3DS.

Then we can forget this whole thing ever happened.  :D

(When I first saw the listing that's what I was hoping for, too)
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Sakamoto can make up for Metroid: Other M. I seriously doubt that Team Ninja can make up for anything, though, unless they have a good leader to direct them, and Yosuke Hayashi is NOT a good leader. That said, they still have DOA5 coming out in a few months, and while I'm not a fan of the series, I'll be really interested to see how it turns out. The way I see it, its basically their last chance to prove that they can competently make a decent game without Itagaki being there to tell them what they need to do to properly make a game. The way I see it, the release of DOA5 could potentially make or break the new Team Ninja.

At any rate, I do NOT want to see them tackle another 3D NG game after NG3, and I'm not even sure I'd like a 2D NG game by them with their current gameplay design sensibilities, but I still must admit that my desire to play some classic style NG also makes me want to give them a chance to try out something like that on the off chance that it'll work and I can play a brand new great 2D NG game. At any rate, I'd rather see them try to tackle something new (to them) like that rather than make another 3D NG game and butcher the series even further with it.

Rynnec

Just beat Ninja Gaiden Sigma. The Final Boss was somewhat anticlimactic, but still fun. I have to say that I had to chuckle at the reveal of Murai being the main Villain. I had already known that before hand, but the way it was done and with no buildup whatsoever made it come across as a parody. :D And did Ryu turn into a rainbow at the end when he left Rachel?

Gonna try and beat Hard Mode now, mainly to unlock the Dark Dragon Blade (which I'm dissapointed you never properly used) and the Dark Dragon Costume.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Well, Ninja Gaiden games were never exactly known for remarkable story-telling, so the fact that you could see the so-called plot twist of the ending coming miles away was really no surprise....literally.

The final boss battle gave me a bit of trouble in Ninja Gaiden Black, but I haven't tired it in Sigma. Still, compared to previous boss battles, it definitely wasn't very difficult.

Anyways, Normal is a decent enough challenge without really being too hard on the player. Enjoy playing the game through hard mode. Its not that much harder, honestly, but you may appreciate that the game throws some brand new enemies at you that you haven't encountered before, and now you'll finally get to fight the Evil Fiend Ryu bosses which are among my favorite fights in the game, since they have all of the abilities that you have an have the proficiency of efficient machines since they are computer controlled AI. ;)

Also, be a bit more weary of opening treasure chests this time. Some of them have different items in them (sometimes worse or occasionally better than the items that you found in those same respective chests on the Normal difficulty setting), and you may find some different weapons in different areas than before, but sometimes you may find a not so pleasant surprise in chests. For example, remember those fish that you hate so much? Yeah, don't say I didn't warn you when they suddenly spring out of a chest and start chomping on your flesh without warning. Those things'll drain your life WAY faster on Hard mode. :P

Also, some of the bosses you found pretty easy the first time around may not seem so simple on Hard mode, but its still pretty manageable. Now, if you ever feel like playing the game a 3rd time through and want the REAL Ninja Gaiden challenge that the series is associated with, you'll want to play through Very Hard mode. The jump from Hard to Very Hard is pretty substantial, and enemies will really start to kick your ass at every little slip-up that you make. Also upgrading weapons and buying items costs A LOT more on harder difficulties, so spend your essence wisely. :thumbup:

Foggle

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on April 05, 2012, 12:46:13 AM
For example, remember those fish that you hate so much? Yeah, don't say I didn't warn you when they suddenly spring out of a chest and start chomping on your flesh without warning.
FUCK THAT SHIT ARGGHGHGH :unimpressed:

Evil Fiend Ryu is awesome. One of the best bosses in any game, easily.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: Rynnec on April 05, 2012, 12:27:35 AM
Gonna try and beat Hard Mode now, mainly to unlock the Dark Dragon Blade (which I'm dissapointed you never properly used) and the Dark Dragon Costume.

Well, I'm not really sure how if it works the same way in Sigma, but in NGB you unlocked the DDB on Normal by collecting all 50 Golden Scarabs and giving them to Murai. Usually you could collect all 13 scarabs by Chapter 13 of the game, if I'm not mistaken. Also, if you play through Mission Mode, some missions allow you to use the DDB among the preset weapon selections.

Just as a fun fact, in NG1 the reward Murai gave you for collecting all 50 Golden Scarabs was an SNES cartridge of the original Ninja Gaiden trilogy. If you took it over to the Arcade Machine in Han's Bar, you could insert it in there and unlock an emulated version of the SNES version of the original NG games and play through any of them. It was a pretty neat addition that was sadly removed from NGB/S because Nintendo got pissed at Tecmo for making a port like that since it conflicted with some legal terms with Nintendo, or some shit like that, based on what I've heard.

Rynnec

In Sigma, getting all the Golden Scarabs and taking them to Muramasa gives you the Plasma Saber, which is basically just a reskinned True Dragon Sword, but it's still pretty cool.

Quoteremember those fish that you hate so much? Yeah, don't say I didn't warn you when they suddenly spring out of a chest and start chomping on your flesh without warning. Those things'll drain your life WAY faster on Hard mode.

:frown:

gunswordfist

Early yesterday morning I beat stage 7. During the easiest time I had with the bosses....I got blown up because I forgot to block because the level was so long so I didn't remember. When the screen turned yellow I went "Oh, that's right." Luckily it starts back at that boss. Nice design touch.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

gunswordfist

Quote from: Rynnec on April 04, 2012, 07:45:23 PM
At the end game of Sigma right now (chapter 18). Outside a few really frustrating moments (the Fireworms, and the Spirit Fish, which I'll go into more detail later)
The Spirit Fish are extremely easy to defeat. I hinted at that in an earlier post. Just get the Dragon Sword and jump back and forth. It's basically just from orbs or whatever the hell they are called from there on.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody