Ninja Gaiden Series

Started by Dr. Ensatsu-ken, December 27, 2010, 11:09:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

talonmalon333

Is it worth owning Ninja Gaiden III on Virtual Console, limited continues and all?

Spark Of Spirit

Only on the 3DS or Wii U for save states. I use them between levels to deal with the stupid continue limit.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

talonmalon333

It's funny how Castlevania III and Ninja Gaiden III were made harder for the USA, but they thought that Lost Levels was too much for us. :P

Spark Of Spirit

I dislike the US difficulty increase for the same reason I dislike most of Lost Levels' difficulty. It's all artificial. Taking less hits before death or making the player use pixel perfect jumps with loose controls and physics is just unfair to the player.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Foggle

NG3 is only on the Wii and 3DS eShop afaik.

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on February 19, 2015, 03:46:30 PM
I dislike the US difficulty increase for the same reason I dislike most of Lost Levels' difficulty. It's all artificial. Taking less hits before death or making the player use pixel perfect jumps with loose controls and physics is just unfair to the player.
Yep. US Castlevania 3 doesn't especially bother me, though.

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Foggle on February 19, 2015, 03:50:21 PM
NG3 is only on the Wii and 3DS eShop afaik.

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on February 19, 2015, 03:46:30 PM
Yep. US Castlevania 3 doesn't especially bother me, though.
Castlevania 3 is just tough no matter what. NG3's changes were utterly needless and only negatively affect the game.

talonmalon333

Castlevania III might take it a little too far, mainly by forcing you to redo the final level when you die against Dracula. However, that doesn't stop it from being great.

Foggle

Lord forgive me for what I have done.

I was low on money but still wanted to reach platinum Club Nintendo status before the end of the month. I noticed that NG3 Razor's Edge was only $10 and gives 60 coins... so I bought it. I'm sorry E-K... I have failed you...

talonmalon333

Just so you guys know, this is the same Foggle who is choosing not to play Twilight Princess.

Foggle

Quote from: talonmalon333 on March 08, 2015, 10:00:50 PM
Just so you guys know, this is the same Foggle who is choosing not to play Twilight Princess.
Twilight Princess is $30+ and won't give me many coins. >:(

Rynnec

Quote from: Foggle on March 08, 2015, 09:57:47 PM
Lord forgive me for what I have done.

I was low on money but still wanted to reach platinum Club Nintendo status before the end of the month. I noticed that NG3 Razor's Edge was only $10 and gives 60 coins... so I bought it. I'm sorry E-K... I have failed you...

:anthony:

gunswordfist

First you worked for Gamestop, now this? :oo:
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Well, I can't rightfully blame you since I bought the game as well, but as punishment you should force yourself to play through the first 3 levels. :sly:

I mention the first 3 levels because, while the game is shit, it's deceptive at first. The beginning makes you believe that it'll at least be an acceptably mediocre experience. At some point in the third level, there will come a segment where the game completely jumps the shark, and no amount of added content can possibly make it any better. I want you to experience that part where you realize that you are playing utter shit, and just how shitty it really is. Then you will have a burning sensation to find either NGB or NG2 (whichever is more readily accessible to your position), and pop it in to make sure that you aren't going crazy; that the first two games were legitimately good the whole time. A deep sensation of relief will then hit you when you confirm that, yes, Hayashidiot did fuck up NG3, and yes, the first two games are still awesome no matter how bad the later ones are.

Do not, under any circumstances, though, ever try this with Yaiba. I'm afraid that you won't survive the encounter.

Foggle

To be honest, the only reason I even contemplated buying the game was because it gives you the most value for money on coins, and I'm sure the final platinum reward will be something awesome that more than makes up for the $10. Of course, once my copy arrives, I won't want to just leave it lying around, so I'll be sure to at least beat the first three levels. :whuh:

Quote from: Dr. Ensatsu-ken on March 08, 2015, 10:35:49 PM
Do not, under any circumstances, though, ever try this with Yaiba. I'm afraid that you won't survive the encounter.
I watched some videos of Yaiba and it didn't look that bad (story aside - yeesh that was rancid). However, this is probably a case where actually playing the game is a lot worse than just watching it.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I regularly watch a YouTube channel from user TS17, who does walkthroughs of all sorts of games on their hardest difficulties (like NGS on Master Ninja mode, RE4 on Professional with no damage taken, and TEW on Akumu with no upgrades or keys, just to name a few). He has a series called Balls Deep where he plays bits of games that he never plans to do an actual walkthrough for. As someone who hates NG3 himself, he notes that it at least felt competent enough to properly complete. With NGZ, he noted how hard the game was (and this from a guy who can no damage games on their hardest difficulty settings), but for the wrong reasons. The controls are bad, the enemies are ridiculously cheap, and on harder difficulties you are forced to rely on luck because the people at Spark Unlimited have no idea how to properly balance an action game.

Yes, it really is THAT bad. Other NG fans have confirmed it as well. I absolutely refuse to play it, even out of curiosity.

On another note, I read a recent interview where NG3 writer Masato Kato claimed that Hayashi/Team Ninja had most of his original story for the game cut and changed/altered a lot of stuff that he had written. Among the few things left in tact were references to the NES game, one in the form of a woman shooting Ryu in the back, and another being a brief cameo by Robert T. Sturgeon from NGII (NES). Still, he was credited for writing the story. For those who don't know, Kato wrote the stories for the NES NG trilogy, as well as receiving story credits for RPGs like Chrono Trigger and Final Fantasy VII. If that's true....then all of a sudden that cringe-worthy "Will you be my daddy?" scene, among others, makes a lot more sense if Hayashidiot wrote it.