DC Live Action

Started by Spark Of Spirit, October 08, 2014, 07:22:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spark Of Spirit

It definitely can be stretched too far if they just haphazardly throw shows out there. I was kind of hoping for Vixen to be a full length animated series since we currently have none in the Arrowverse but it is different enough to fit in.

But yes, we don't need any new shows right now. There's enough to keep up with that any more would be overwhelming to keep up with.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

It's always possible for one's resources to be stretched too thin, but keep two things in mind:

-Berlanti isn't dividing all of these projects up among just a single team. New writers, producers, directors, and staff are hired for each project, with each show's production team occasionally communicating with each other to stay on the same page.

-Berlanti's production company has been pacing itself in regard to releases. Arrow came out in 2012, The Flash in 2014, Supergirl in 2015, and Legends of Tomorrow just this year (which has a shorter season length than the other shows). One new show a year seems pretty manageable, especially when you consider that Marvel released three new shows last year alone and still had them all turn out fine.

As for Vixen, they are only discussing the possibility of a show right now (which I hope stays animated if they decide to go through with it). Nothing has been confirmed yet, so even if it does come out, it certainly won't be for a while.

Spark Of Spirit

"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Spark Of Spirit

So that was awesome. Of all the DC shows so far LoT has had the best premiere by far. It has a big cast, but they all mesh together really well and all have something different to contribute. I really can't wait to see where this goes next, the possibilities are endless for a premise like this.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

This feels like DC meets Dr. Who, which is a surprisingly awesome combination.

Really great premiere. The best that I've seen from any comic book show, Marvel, DC, or otherwise, for that matter.

Peanutbutter

I'll check out the premiere later, I really wish I could get caught up to Flash though. I'm only five epeisodes behind but Comcast has to be screwy with how long they allow reruns in their system. :(

Dr. Insomniac

I thought it was pretty fun. Heatwave and Cold remind me of Jayne from Firefly, which will be further driven thanks to actors from that show appearing in the future. I haven't watched much of Arrow yet, so White Canary was the only one I had no prior knowledge of, but she seems interesting. What was more interesting was hearing Ray Palmer's lines about insignificance and interpreting that as a meta-commentary on Brandon Routh's prior performance as a superhero being dwarfed by others. His dialogue wouldn't have felt as powerful if it came from another actor. Also, they really need to get Rip Hunter to meet Dinah and Malcolm Merlyn just to take advantage of all the Who allusions.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Since you brought it up, I do find it a bit odd that they didn't bring up White Canary's (Sara Lance) bloodlust in this premiere. She had to retire from fighting on Arrow because she couldn't control her urges to kill, and that plot point was never resolved on that show, so it's a bit odd that it wasn't addressed here, but maybe it'll come up in a future episode.

Dr. Insomniac

What amazes the most about Flash is how they made Captain Cold so fun to watch. If you told me over a year ago that Captain Cold would become a great villain, I'd laugh in your face.

Spark Of Spirit

Heatwave is really growing on me. He was pretty one note in The Flash, but he's quickly coming into his own here. He hasn't gone off about fire once.

Second part of the pilot was just as great as the first. This show is pretty much exactly what I've wanted to see done in a superhero show for as long as I can remember. I'm really digging the whole cast and the vibe of the show.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Heat Wave is easily the character that I cared the least about going into this show. I always just found him to be disposable fodder that served as an occasional sidekick to Captain Cold during his appearances on The Flash. This show has done a lot to change my opinion about the character in just two episodes. In fact, here's how I rank the roster thus far (I fully expect this to change by the end of the season):

1. Leonard Snart (Captain Cold)
2. Martin Stein (1/2 of Firestorm)
3. Rip Hunter
4. Mick Rory (Heat Wave)
5. Sara Lance (White Canary)
6. Ray Palmer (Atom)
7. Kendra Saunders (Hawkgirl)
8. Jefferson Jackson (the other 1/2 of Firestorm)
9. Carter Hall (Hawkman)

What amazes me about this show so far is that, despite a large ensemble cast, not a single regular comes off to me as incredibly boring or annoying. I don't outright dislike any characters. Generally, though, I'm rather indifferent to the bottom three on my list, or I'm lukewarm to them at best. I like Palmer and Lance just fine. However, I'm especially fond of my top four favorite characters at this point.

Like I said, though, this is just an early list. I won't be surprised to see different characters grow on me throughout the course of this series, and it'll be fun to compare my initial list from now to what I come up with by the end of the season.

Spark Of Spirit

Given that the 16 episode season will focus on all 9
Spoiler
8, now
[close]
characters with no room for distractions, we've already gotten more from most of them than they got on Arrow and Flash simply because there wasn't time on those shows. Heatwave's gotten to the point that I eagerly await each time he speaks just as I await to see what Captain Cold will do in a scene. I'm also liking how Atom is seemingly growing as a hero and less of a fledgling wannabe with every episode.

Mine would be like this:

1. Leonard Snart (Captain Cold)
2. Martin Stein (Firestorm)
3. Rip Hunter
4. Mick Rory (Heatwave)
5. Ray Palmer (Atom)
6. Sara Lance (White Canary)
7. Jefferson Jackson (Firestorm)
8. Kendra Saunders (Hawkgirl)
9. Carter Hall (Hawkman)

The hawks have the disadvantage of only really having a handful of episodes for development (which will probably change given that time travel plays such a role here) and Jefferson simply hasn't gotten the experience or the time to be fleshed out yet though he is very likable and has good chemistry with everyone else. White Canary I'm simply waiting for them to deal with her problem and see where she goes from here, but she has been very funny so far. Everyone else has been great and a step up from their previous exposure in the Arrowverse.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

It's nice to know that we have the same top four. :thumbup:

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on January 29, 2016, 03:15:21 PM
Spoiler
8, now
[close]

Spoiler
Being that this is a time-traveling show, I haven't yet ruled out the possibility of a future reincarnation of Hawkman joining the team in place of the fallen one.
[close]

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Dr. Ensatsu-ken on January 29, 2016, 03:28:39 PM
It's nice to know that we have the same top four. :thumbup:

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on January 29, 2016, 03:15:21 PM
Spoiler
8, now
[close]

Spoiler
Being that this is a time-traveling show, I haven't yet ruled out the possibility of a future reincarnation of Hawkman joining the team in place of the fallen one.
[close]
Good point, I never considered that. This show really could go anywhere from here.

Dr. Insomniac

Spoiler
So Hawkman died in 1975 instead of in his own time, meaning his soul will probably reincarnate in 1975 and not 2016. And if we assume that Carter was born around the same time as his actor (1985), that would mean there's still a possibly active or in-training Hawkman in the 70s who could be affected by an extra soul in the reincarnation stream. Intriguing.
[close]