DC Live Action

Started by Spark Of Spirit, October 08, 2014, 07:22:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Avaitor

I actually wasn't that into the first part of the pilot, but the second half is a lot better. I don't have character rankings yet, but I'm excited to see how the show turns out as it goes along.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I liked the whole thing, personally. Both parts make up my favorite premiere to a comic book show yet. Most don't have me hooked from the beginning like this.

Dr. Insomniac

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Also, this show is a good example of why I don't take TV critics seriously.

Peanutbutter

Quote from: Dr. Ensatsu-ken on January 31, 2016, 09:12:27 PM

Yeah, I noticed they didn't have a good score at Tomatoes. The consensus basically said there were too many characters.

Which is really stupid, because they have to know the reason why is because its a crossover spinoff of two different shows.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

It's also stupid because they are each clearly getting their own character arcs set-up, and these will obviously progress naturally throughout the course of the series. And despite all that's going on, both pilot episodes still managed to keep a consistent pace and tell a focused story without many distractions or convoluted tie-ins. Most criticisms that I've read seem rather superficial. Like, just criticizing it for the mere fact that it has a lot of characters, rather than really analyzing whether that element is actually handled poorly or not (and it's definitely not, in my book).

Also, all three seasons of Agents of SHIELD have high ratings on RT (season 1 is even "Certified Fresh"). If that's what constitutes good television and something like DCLOT is considered shit, then it's a sure sign that TV show reviews are a joke.

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Dr. Ensatsu-ken on January 31, 2016, 09:12:27 PM
My issue is that outside of criticisms I don't agree with (goofy, not dark enough, too cheesy) that can go either way, it's like a lot of people just seem to dislike it for being a fun adventure show and having a blast with being one. Nobody's going to convince me that AoS is a better show.

Also, having 9 characters isn't really a lot when you factor in that there basically aren't going to be any side-characters or recurring characters (outside villains) during the run which means they need more characters to fill the gaps. Not everyone is going to get perfect focus every episode, but that's fine with a cast as varied as this one.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Peanutbutter

Quote from: Dr. Ensatsu-ken on February 01, 2016, 01:31:36 AM
It's also stupid because they are each clearly getting their own character arcs set-up, and these will obviously progress naturally throughout the course of the series. And despite all that's going on, both pilot episodes still managed to keep a consistent pace and tell a focused story without many distractions or convoluted tie-ins. Most criticisms that I've read seem rather superficial. Like, just criticizing it for the mere fact that it has a lot of characters, rather than really analyzing whether that element is actually handled poorly or not (and it's definitely not, in my book).

Also, all three seasons of Agents of SHIELD have high ratings on RT (season 1 is even "Certified Fresh"). If that's what constitutes good television and something like DCLOT is considered shit, then it's a sure sign that TV show reviews are a joke.

They constantly give pretentious tripe like Lena Dunham's Girls a glowing review, despite the show having poor ratings. Its finally in its final season, but if it weren't for it being on HBO it would have been gone a lot sooner.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

So, I just found out that Kevin Smith is going to be directing an episode of The Flash. I also saw a video of him tearing up at the season one finale. It was kind of awkward, but at least he's passionate about the show.

Spark Of Spirit

In regards to the recent Supergirl, I liked the way they handled Bizarro. It feels like the way they set it up could lead to events the comic version wouldn't. Especially if their "brain dead" subjects were suddenly not brain dead any longer for whatever reason.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I'm so glad that Wells came out about working with Zoom, and in the same episode Barry could understand his point of view and go back to working as a team with renewed trust. It's a great way to avoid dragging out an obvious cliche, and the prospect of them going to Earth Two has me really excited for future episodes.

Dr. Insomniac

Spark Of Spirit

So there's the official linking with the Arrowverse. Glad to see it happening.

With all the hinting I'm expecting Green Lantern to be the next hero to show up. If he doesn't, I'll just pretend the animated series is the official canon version.

Spark Of Spirit

And now we know why Sara doesn't have the bloodlust.

Great episode of Arrow with a lot of reveals and good action. But it does highlight how much I've missed having Roy on the team. Oh well, maybe Legends of Tomorrow some day.

Avaitor

Yeah, this almost was a hollow victory, since despite being a good episode, I'm going to miss Roy again.

Ah well.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/