Pixar! Their Films, Your Favorites, and More

Started by Avaitor, December 27, 2010, 09:34:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Avaitor

Cars is just not memorable or funny in any way IMO. I can't say anything about the sequel, but I don't see how the first can have appeal for anyone who is in double digits.

There won't be a Cars 3, BTW. At least, not in theaters and as a part of the Pixar canon. The poor reception and considerably weaker box office killed any chances of that, but you can expect to see the toys all over for years to come.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Commode

I like Cars, but I also really like cars(I grew up around cars, my dad had dozens of old cars, from Mustangs and Chevelles to Gran Torinos[know that Clint Eastwood movie Gran Torino?  My dad had two of those cars when I was a kid], and of course his beloved Galaxie).  I love going to car shows and watching car related movies.  My first car was a 1970 Ford Maverick that I paid $600 for at the age of 15. That's it's appeal to me, all the automotive history that is in the movie.  The fucking Richard Petty voiced legend race car is a blue 1970 Plymouth Superbird, something that Richard Petty himself is famous for. The bugs that fly around in the movie are Volkswagen Beetles, and Lightning McQueen's two Japanese groupies are Mazda Miatas.  One of the Andretti's shows up and is a 1967 Ford Fairlane.  And in Cars 2 it makes fun of all the notoriously crappy AMC Gremlins and Pacers for being "lemons".  It's stuff like that, America's car culture and Route 66 and all that.  I understand that Cars and Cars 2 are probably Pixar's weakest films story wise, because they are really formulaic, but I don't understand when someone says that it doesn't have any appeal or heart, because it does.  Just not to you guys who have no interest in cars or their history except for the fact that they get you from point A to point B.
It doesn't matter what you say, soon you'll be dead anyway.

Spark Of Spirit

That's a good point. I'm not much of a vehicle fan in general, but there is an appeal there for people. Sort of like how the Scottish influence in Brave really interests me due to having a lot of interest in Scottish history beyond dumb kilt jokes.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Avaitor

Welp Brave did well this weekend. It did a little better than Cars 2's opening weekend and cracked Pixar's personal top 5 for openers. Maybe there is a market for it.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Daxdiv

Well I came back from Brave. I found it generic, a tad predictable in some places (Part thanks to trailers, some parts due to seeing this before) yet I still enjoyed myself at most of the story. I felt like I saw this movie before. Though I do love who voiced the Witch's crow.

Still La Luna made it for me, such a cute little short about a family of janitors cleaning up the moon. That little kid was so adorable by Pixar standards.

Spark Of Spirit

I saw Brave yesterday, and really dug it. No, it wasn't particularly original, but it was really well written with a lot of really good moments. It definitely ranks higher for me than the lesser Pixar films like Ratatouille and A Bug's Life, and probably above the Car movies and Finding Nemo.

La Luna was pretty cute, though. It was nice to see a more straightforward Pixar short not based on high-speed antics.

All in all, it was a great movie. It won't blow you away like Toy Story 3, Up, or WALL*E, but it's definitely not a letdown.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Avaitor

New blog!

Kiddington

So much for Pixar being above all this.

I just don't get why Finding Nemo is the next to get the nod. Is this really a story that needs continuation? So, what exactly; Nemo grows up, and stuff happens? Marlin continues to be neurotic and overbearing? Dory is still as crazy as ever? Bruce the Shark decides that fish are indeed food, and not friends after all? And I mean, I love the first film, as you know, but this news is just so meh.

Oh yeah, AND WHERE IS MY INCREDIBILES 2 DAMMIT. If we're going sequel happy, at least go with the franchise that, you know, FITS PERFECTLY FOR A SEQUEL.

Avaitor

Wanna know why Finding Nemo is next? The Toy Story franchise aside, it's their biggest hit. I think the so-so reception Brave has had caused Pixar to be more sequel hungry, and John Carter's awful lifespan (seriously. it did so poorly that Disney kicked their boss out) forced Andrew Stanton to do it.

This, along with Cars 2 and the possible Toy Story 4, will exist for one reason and one reason alone- to earn money.

New blog!

talonmalon333

Spark Of Spirit

Finding Nemo has absolutely no potential for a sequel. Other than the Monster's Inc prequel, the only one with sequel potential is the Incredibles.

I really don't want Pixar to devolve into a cheapquel factory. The majority of their movies do not lend themselves to sequels.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I'm against the barrage of sequels, myself (The Monsters Inc. prequel is an exception, because I love Monsters Inc. and it DOES actually lend itself well to a prequel), but for the love of God they better as hell not make another Toy Story movie. I think most people can agree that Toy Story 3 was the perfect ending for the series. It tied the knot on the story and brought everything to a close. Making a sequel would just miss the point of that TS3 accomplished for the series, and I doubt it'd be any good even on its own as we've already seen all of the interesting plots that the potential of the idea/concept behind Toy Story could bring us, anyways.

Spark Of Spirit

A Toy Story 4 would be horrendous. Seriously.

That simply can't happen.

Avaitor

When the cast signed onto Toy Story 3, they also signed into a TS4, which was supposed to equate to just a couple of shorts and 2 TV specials.

Of course, they could have changed that contract since, and honestly, would you be surprised if they did?

New blog!

talonmalon333

I will willingly go homeless if Toy Story 4 ever comes out.