Online Gaming/Game-Related Shows

Started by Dr. Ensatsu-ken, December 03, 2014, 01:24:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

This thread is basically for any online web series that basically cover anything about gaming, ranging from reviews (either comedic or serious) to retrospectives, to just fun facts. Here are some of the ones that I follow (or that I have watched and have thus ended their runs).

The Angry Video Game Nerd- A pretty obvious one, and I'm not a huge fan, but I do like James Rolfe and a lot of his other content, and these particular videos are sort of what got me into the whole comedic Internet reviewer Shtick in the first place.

James & Mike Mondays- I'm also not a fan of Mike Matei, but in this case I do like to see James give his input on a lot of these classic games, many of which he's trying for the first time.

Happy Video Game Nerd- I'm pretty sure that Darek has long since retired from making these, but I love how he has brought so many underrated classics to my attention. Some people don't like this show because they think it's supposed to be purely comedic like AVGN, and sure it started out as a parody of that, but over time it developed into its own thing and it really is a good show for highlighting lots of great gems from the past.

Game Theory- This is a really fun and amusing "facts of gaming" sort of show that some people take way too seriously. While a lot of clear effort is put into backing the theories presented here, it's all done in the spirit of good fun, and the show doesn't take itself too seriously on the whole. It's mostly just fun to see Mat Par get into such elaborate detail on some of the most ludicrous theories out there, and actually help make them somewhat more plausible.

Culture Shock- A sort of companion series to Game Theory and hosted on the same channel by Gaijin Goomba. I haven't watched as much of this one, but I do like what I've seen, so far.

The Completionist- This is a show that should be greater than it is, but is held back by its pretty lame attempts at humor. I like Greg as a person, but as a character he's insufferable. However, if you look past that, Jirard's input on these games is fantastic, and it's what makes the series worthwhile for me. Basically, the gimmick here is that Jirard has to 100% complete any game that he reviews, with absolutely no exceptions whatsoever, and then he must summarize the struggle it took to complete the game and whether he thinks it's worth it to complete or not. It's a fun show, Greg aside.

The Gaming Historian- Also long since retired, from what I can tell, but he has done some great mini-retrospectives on a lot of important aspects of what lead games to being as big as they are today. Definitely a great watch for someone who only wants to view their content in short bursts.

16-Bit Gems- another excellent show, which goes into good detail on a lot of classic games (mostly SNES titles), and really highlights some underrated classics from that era.

There are other good or great online gaming shows that I watch, but these are the ones that I'm recommending for now, to anyone who's interested.

gunswordfist

i sub game theory and did you know gaming?
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

talonmalon333

I meant to post here sooner.

Mega64 has to be my overall favorite internet series, with very little contest. In fact, as far as comedy goes, I'd say many of the previous internet comedy shows I watch took a backseat once I got into these guys.

Anyway, they have a lot of material under their belt. Skits of various kinds, from videos about games, to videos of them basically being in games, and more. They also did a three season series, about five episodes each, that was supposed to air on public television, but that fell through and the series instead went to DVD. It's arguably their best material, and it's interesting seeing these three guys building from dirt and progressively getting better and better as the series goes on. The first few episodes haven't aged well (these guys started in 2003, and they didn't have great mic and camera technology back then), but that fact makes it all the more inspiring when you look at the later episodes, specifically the last few episodes of season 3, and see how much better they have gotten, in terms of acting, directing, and technology.