"Vertigo" Talkback (Spoilers)

Started by Lord Dalek, July 16, 2011, 03:17:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lord Dalek

NOTE: The following talkback was originally posted on TZ on September 21, 2007. It is reprinted here verbatum...

Alfred Hitchcock engulfs you in a whirlpool of terror and tension!

"Do you believe that someone out of the past... someone dead... can enter and take possession of a living being?" - Gavin Elster

Release Date: May 8, 1958
Studio: Paramount/Alfred Hitchcock Productions (distributed by Universal as of 1983)
Director: Alfred Hitchcock
Aspect Ratio: 1.85:1 (VistaVision)
Starring: James Stewart, Kim Novak, Barbara Bel Geddes, Tom Helmore, Henry Jones

Plot Summary: John "Scottie" Ferguson is a retired San Francisco police detective who suffers from acrophobia and Madeleine is the lady who leads him to high places. A wealthy shipbuilder who is an acquaintance from college days approaches Scottie and asks him to follow his beautiful wife, Madeleine. He fears she is going insane, maybe even contemplating suicide, because she believes she is possessed by a dead ancestor. Scottie is skeptical, but agrees after he sees the beautiful Madeleine.

COMMENTS?

Stunned by the fact that we only have one Hitchcock film listed in the talkback database I figured it was about time that I should do some for my favorites.

Avaitor

Not my favorite Hitch flick, but it's beautiful nonetheless. AMAZING cinematography, one of Herrmann's best scores, and easily the best performance Stewart ever pulled out.

Repeat viewings are kind to it, as well. Every time I watch this movie, I find something new to grasp on, even if it's just one frame. I'd love to watch it a shot at a time, like Ebert has done numerous times before.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Spark Of Spirit

This is a real visual treat. I mean, what more can I say other than that even today the shots and angles are still impressive to most of what actually comes out.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Avaitor

Seriously, that score. It tells so much just by composition. By far one of the best ever recorded.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

talonmalon333

I'd say, his best film ever for sure. 8)

One of my top 3 favorite movies ever.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Its a great film, but unlike most people I highly disagree that its his best. Its the popular choice alongside Pyscho, but to me Hitchcock's true masterpiece is Dial M for Murder (which he adapted from a play), and Rear Window is probably my 2nd favorite film of his.

Avaitor

I'm working on a list of what I'd consider Hitch's best films, and you'll see where I rank Vertigo on it.

I'll also post a list of my personal favorites on top of that, since both lists aren't exactly the same, although a lot of titles obviously show up in both.

New blog!

Lord Dalek

Pharass

Quote from: Lord Dalek on August 01, 2012, 01:37:45 PM
Well well well...

It's well deserved, Vertigo is an amazing movie. Perhaps my favorite Hitchock out of the ones I've seen.

Nice to see The Passion of Joan of Arc on that list. The performance of the actress who played Joan in that movie (can't recall her name) was truly one of the most powerful that I can think of in cinematic history.
In every age
In every place
The deeds of men
Remain the same.