WayForward

Started by Spark Of Spirit, August 04, 2011, 12:20:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spark Of Spirit

What the hell, why not?

In my opinion, probably the most underrated developer out there right now and I'm going to give you several reasons why:

Shantae

The original Game Boy Color game and the DSi-ware sequel are both fantastic Metroidvania platformers cut from the Wonderboy (another great series) cloth that ooze charm and style. Probably my vote for most criminally underused franchise.

Sigma Star Saga

A unique game, part classic style shmup and part overhead action adventure game, this was probably released a bit ahead of its time. If made for the DS instead of the GBA, the two styles might have been easier to merge and WayForward might have been able to bring out its full potential, but as it is, it is a great little game.

Contra 4

This is when WayForward hit its groove, IMO. They knew instinctively what people loved about classic run and gun games like Contra and what people hated, and made the best game since the originals. If you own a DS and don't own this game, then fuck off.  ;)

A Boy & His Blob

Again, fully aware of what worked and didn't work in the original NES game, WayForward went ahead and made the game that it should have been. Unfortunately, few seemed to care and it bombed. You can pick it up cheap now, though, so give it a go.

Batman: The Brave & The Bold The Videogame!

This is a weird case to me. The Wii game is a single plane beat em up where you can co-op with a buddy through 4 "episodes" of the show each featuring their own cold opener like the show (before the shows opening plays!) before the title card, full voiceovers featuring the cast and great set pieces and a few animated cutscenes lead this to feel like you're playing the show. The only flaw being that the levels feel really long, so I wouldn't recommend playing a full episode at a time. The DS version is more of a platformer with some action elements, with the only flaw being that it's really short. Still, fantastic licensed games that show what licensed games should aspire to be.

Upcoming:

Mighty Switch Force

An action platformer by the Contra 4 team for 3DSware. That's all I need to say.

BloodRayne: Betrayal

A Metroidvania style action game with tons of style.

Honestly, one of my favorite devs. If they could make a full on remake/sequel to Clash At Demonhead, I think my life would be complete.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Foggle

Hey now, don't forget Aliens: Infestation!

I've only played Contra 4, but DAMN WAS IT GOOD. I need to pick up some more of their games. :thumbup:

Spark Of Spirit

I knew I was forgetting something! That game looks tight. Part Metroid, part survival horror (it's REALLY easy to die and death is permanent), and part Contra... WayForward has come a long way since Shantae GBC hit the shelves and that glimpse of greatness finally took form over the company. Now if it says "developed by WayForward" it's pretty much a day one buy for me.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Spark Of Spirit

Oh, looks like I was wrong about BloodRayne, it seems it's inspired by Ninja Gaiden and "the game is very much about flashy combat and big combos"... So, yeah, it's actually an action platformer.

Should be nice!

Kiddington

Shantae is TOO FUCKING EXPENSIVE. Srsly; cheapest copy I could find on Amazon is $178. Used, of course.  :wth:

Awesome game, though. Played it on mah computer a while back (yeah yeah yeah... it was a ROM, sue me). Criminally underused indeed; how in the world did this only get ONE sequel, eight years down the line? It's a shame, really.

Commode

I've been looking at buying a copy of Clash at Demonhead for a little while now, but if they made a remake or even a sequel, preferably on a portable like the 3DS, I'd be all over that.
It doesn't matter what you say, soon you'll be dead anyway.

Spark Of Spirit

If the GBC Shantae isn't released on the 3DS shop, I'll eat my hat. WayForward are probably pushing hard to get that on there.

But yeah, Clash At Demonhead needs a remake like no one's business, and the rights are probably all tied up in limbo, but I hope they can do it one day.

Spark Of Spirit

Bloodrayne in motion

So yeah, it's more of a classic Castlevania feel with a more modern fighting system like Devil May Cry. It's also out tomorrow, so give the demo a go if you've got the system, guys.

Rynnec

Just played the Bloodrayne: Betrayal demo. Fucking solid gameplay. The combat really does feel like a 2D Devil May Cry.

Not sure if I'll download the full game just yet, since we're kinda low on money, but I'll definately get it when I have the chance.