If you were a lead game designer...

Started by gunswordfist, April 16, 2012, 03:15:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gunswordfist

"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Well, anyways, here's what I posted on the other thread about this:

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on April 16, 2012, 03:09:55 PMPersonally, I can admit that I have neither the knowledge or the talent to make a great game, but I have my own ideas and if I WERE talented enough at computer programming and design in regards to writing, coding, and scripting video games, I would be all over a platformer/action game hybrid. However it would be done in such a way in which the two elements would be completely intermixed, rather than just being some basic platforming segments followed by some basic hack n' slash or beat-em-up or shoot-em-up segments. If that was the case, I might as well just pick one over the other, since combining the 2 into a hybrid game means combining elements of their respective formulas into one seamless experience.

Anyways, the game I'd make would probably be a 2D side-scroller with NES Ninja Gaiden II's platforming sensibilities combined with the combat depth of the XBOX360 Ninja Gaiden II, and I'd throw in some creative design inspired by other platformers ranging from Mario and Sonic to Donkey Kong Country and Rocket Knight Adventures for good measure.

Another game I'd love to make would be a "New Ninja Gaiden" of sorts, in the same vein of NSMBW, but in this case applied to the 2D NG formula. Except I'd of course balance out the game to support 4 players and have a heavy emphasis on team-work when playing on co-op while also appropriately adjusting the difficulty and mechanics for a great single-player experience as well.

Yeah, I know that pretty much every idea I have involves Ninja Gaiden in some way, but you shouldn't be surprised by now considering that its my favorite video game series of all time. :awesome:

Spark Of Spirit

Okay, you take the basics from Double Dragon II NES, yea?

You got a punch button, a kick button, and a jump button. Jumping is a bit more floaty closer to the TMNT games for more control. Punching and kicking lead to different combos, landing from a jump plus punch initiates a rising uppercut, and the same with a kick gives you the super knee. Combat system perfected.

Next you enter into sidescrolling areas where you can also wall jump. These are like the trap rooms in DDII NES where you have to platform to survive. Only with a better jump.

Expand the levels so that they have branching paths like SoR Remake, where you get different endings for whichever path you choose.

There we go, a Platformer/Beat 'Em Up hybrid that if you play it a certain way you can even make it a pure platformer with fighting elements, or a pure beat em up with platforming elements.

The game I've been waiting for since the NES.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

gunswordfist

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on April 16, 2012, 03:16:45 PM
You stole my idea....:whuh:
I said "Here you go." I was referring to doing you a favor.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Its called being sarcastic Mr. Smart-Ass. :>

gunswordfist

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on April 16, 2012, 03:40:43 PM
Okay, you take the basics from Double Dragon II NES, yea?

You got a punch button, a kick button, and a jump button. Jumping is a bit more floaty closer to the TMNT games for more control. Punching and kicking lead to different combos, landing from a jump plus punch initiates a rising uppercut, and the same with a kick gives you the super knee. Combat system perfected.

Next you enter into sidescrolling areas where you can also wall jump. These are like the trap rooms in DDII NES where you have to platform to survive. Only with a better jump.

Expand the levels so that they have branching paths like SoR Remake, where you get different endings for whichever path you choose.

There we go, a Platformer/Beat 'Em Up hybrid that if you play it a certain way you can even make it a pure platformer with fighting elements, or a pure beat em up with platforming elements.

The game I've been waiting for since the NES.
Sounds damn good, Desen.

Rynnec

I'd make a 3D hack'n slash that plays like a hybrid of Ninja Gaiden and Devil May Cry (combining the formers ruthlessness of enemies, with the latters over-the-top action and style), with finishing moves similar to Bayonetta's torture attacks added in. All with Ultimate Ninja Storm-style cel-shaded graphics.

I'd also make a 2D fighter set in the same universe as said hack'n slash with a primarily female cast. It'd have similar mechanics to Arc System Works fighters with a plot just as intricate. It's graphics would be on par with the upcoming Under Night In-Birth.

For games based on existing franchises: A Bomberman game in the style of the N64 trilogy, with the same characters from said games making a return. And a Persona 4-styled Digimon RPG.

talonmalon333

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on April 16, 2012, 03:48:14 PM
Its called being sarcastic Mr. Smart-Ass. :>

Just ignore him, Ensatsu-ken. He just wants people to think he has good thread ideas.

gunswordfist

Quote from: Rynnec on April 16, 2012, 04:11:40 PM
I'd make a 3D hack'n slash that plays like a hybrid of Ninja Gaiden and Devil May Cry (combining the formers ruthlessness of enemies, with the latters over-the-top action and style), with finishing moves similar to Bayonetta's torture attacks added in. All with Ultimate Ninja Storm-style cel-shaded graphics.

I'd also make a 2D fighter set in the same universe as said hack'n slash with a primarily female cast. It'd have similar mechanics to Arc System Works fighters with a plot just as intricate. It's graphics would be on par with the upcoming Under Night In-Birth.

For games based on existing franchises: A Bomberman game in the style of the N64 trilogy, with the same characters from said games making a return. And a Persona 4-styled Digimon RPG.
Wait, there's 3 Bomberman 64 games?

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: gunswordfist on April 16, 2012, 06:07:25 PM
Quote from: Rynnec on April 16, 2012, 04:11:40 PM

Wait, there's 3 Bomberman 64 games?
Bomberman 64
Second Attack
Bomberman Hero

I would love a single player like Hero and a multiplayer like Hi-Ten Bomberman would be insane.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Foggle

I've thought about this shit way too much (no, seriously). I'd love to be a creative director for a video game studio some day. My dream game:

A hybrid between a 3D platformer and a 3D beat 'em up. The camera auto-adjusts itself so it can always be in the most comfortable position for precision-based jumping and fighting and also to leave the right control stick free for on the fly dodging. The camera will sometimes pull back for a 2.5D side-scrolling segment.

Default controls for the PS3 or 4 or 5 or whatever:
X - Jump
Square - Light punch
Triangle - Heavy punch
O - Kick
L1 - Modifies right stick to allow for direct camera control
R1 - Modifies face buttons (except X) to use projectile weapons (a different one set to each button), activates strafing and lock-on mode
L2 - Block
R2 - Use item
D-Pad Left/Right - Swap items
D-Pad Up - Enter Blood Lust Mode*
D-Pad Down - Use healing item

*As you kill enemies, your Ultraviolence Meter fills up, and eventually you can unleash that shit. This turns the game's graphics black and red and lets you do weird shit to your enemies like eat their heads or tear their hearts out (rated E for Everyone).

Lots of platforming between combat areas. Occasional mini-games to break up the monotony. Boss battles inspired by all the best fights from beat 'em up/hack 'n slash history. Major humor focus for the story. Extremely groovy soundtrack. You know the drill.

That was way too long. Sorry guys. :( And yeah, this is basically Ratchet & Clank + God Hand + Devil May Cry. I'm shameless. :P

gunswordfist

Seriously, why aren't they making 3D platformer beat em ups?

Spark Of Spirit

EK's Ninja Gaiden 2D/3D mash up reminds me of the combat in those Griptonite sidescrollers (Spyro Eternal Night, Spider-man Web Of Shadows and Shattered Dimensions, Shinobi 3DS). They were sort of DMC-ish and combo heavy, and involved sometimes even jumping on enemies for attacks (which could lead to cool platforming moments), though they were different depending on the character used.

If I were to do a 2D Ninja Gaiden, I would make it a lot like Project Vice with all the different set pieces (I'd take out the racing, though), have co-op (permanent ninja clones makes this easy) and add in a blocking maneuver to take off 3/4 damage. That would make it accessible and appealing to most tastes.

gunswordfist

A game that's like a semi-long shounen (about YYH length). Basically an action game that's the length of an RPG that has multiple sagas. I'd want it to feel like each new saga is almost like a sequel in of itself and new powers and whatnot would keep the game fresh.