"To Kill a Mockingbird" Talkback (Spoilers)

Started by Avaitor, February 06, 2012, 12:20:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Avaitor

"If you just learn a single trick, Scout, you'll get along a lot better with all kinds of folks. You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view... Until you climb inside of his skin and walk around in it."

Release Date: December 25, 1962
Studio: Universal
Director: Robert Mulligan
Aspect Ratio: 1.85 : 1
Starring: Gregory Peck, John Megna, Frank Overton

Plot Summary: Based on Harper Lee's Pulitzer Prize winning book of 1960. Atticus Finch is a lawyer in a racially divided Alabama town in the 1930s. He agrees to defend a young black man who is accused of raping a white woman. Many of the townspeople try to get Atticus to pull out of the trial, but he decides to go ahead. How will the trial turn out - and will it change any of the racial tension in the town?

COMMENTS?

So I think we should do a talkback for each of the films Universal is pulling all the stops out for their 100th anniversary celebration. Probably should've done this sooner, but here you go.

Also, I went with the Italian poster because I prefer it to the US one.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

The novel is excellent, and probably one of the few books that I read in high school which I actually felt to be truly worth reading and a very important novel at that.

As for the film, I saw it at first when I was in middle-school and hadn't read the novel, and back then I was in my testosterone-fueled love of all things action phase and I wasn't really down with slower movies like this, especially if they were older. As I grew more mature I gained a lot of respect for this film over multiple re-watches, and overall I think that its a genuinely good adaptation of Harper's novel, even if its not exactly 100% faithful to the source material (which is something that I got over since the changes made enough sense for the film adaptation).

Gregory Peck is terrific as usual, and while child actors of any time are always a tough-sell, the ones in this film do carry the presence of innocent children and you do buy their roles well enough, so it all works out well, IMO.

Daxdiv

Last time I saw this flick was in High School after we read the book. Good movie adaptation. The one thing my teacher pointed out was that there were some musical elements that were also in the Lord of the Flies movie as well. I think the class even noticed that since I remember To Kill a Mockingbird was my Senior Year book, while I think Lord of the Flies was either Sophomore or Junior.