"Serenity" Talkback (Spoilers)

Started by Dr. Ensatsu-ken, June 14, 2012, 08:06:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Yeah, sorry, I'm far too lazy to make my talkback threads as organized and official looking as the rest of you guys, so if anyone wants to edit this post of mine to make it fit in with the others, feel free to do so.

Anyways, this is of course a talkback thread for Joss Whedon's best feature-length film before The Avengers (and the only one besides that which I even know of, if he has done more than just 2 theatrical movies):

I first watched this film back in theaters with a friend, without ever having seen Firefly, and I loved it. Today I re-watched it for the first time in about 7 years, and have now actually seen the TV series it picks up from, so it has naturally escalated my appreciation for the movie to new heights, and I'd say its probably one of my top 10 favorite Sci-fi movies of all time. It works excellently as a stand-alone film, but even better as a finale to a series that was sadly cut way too short.

Much like with Avengers, I really love how Joss Whedon was able to give every single main character their moments to shine and get some development. Yeah, just like with that film some characters get more focus than others which is a necessary sacrifice for a film, but its still amazing to have a movie balance out such a large cast while still remaining focused on the plot and making sure that the pace never falters along the way.

Another notable thing about this movie is that its the first time we actually get to see real Reavers (that one guy who was starting to become a Reaver in that one episode of the TV series doesn't count), and they do not disappoint. They did a really good job with their make-up and they look absolutely hideous and scary, as they should.

I suppose if I had one real issue with the film, it was how Sheppard Book got pushed aside and had such a minor role in the movie. It especially sucks because he is one of the character who gets killed off and we STILL never got to learn of his true back story. Seriously, did Whedon ever elaborate on that outside of the series just for fans who were really curious, or will it forever remain a mystery of just what connection he has with The Alliance?

Well, anyways, enough of my rambling on about the movie. What are your thoughts on it?

Foggle

Avaitor

I added a poll for you.

It's funny, while looking for a bad movie tonight, I found this in the $5 bin and nearly considered buying it to show tonight in lieu of a bad flick. Decided against it.

I might just have to go back though. I've been craving more Firefly ever since rewatching the show, and it's been just as long.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I would've hit a deal like that up anyways. Even if I wouldn't watch it that night, I'd still like to own it and watch it whenever. Also, I'm really interested in seeing the special features on it, now.

gunswordfist

Oh yeah, that's right. Joss Whedon directed Avengers. Now they just got to get him to do an X-Men reboot...
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Avaitor

I think he'd rather just do a solo Kitty Pryde movie.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

They already have a good X-Men reboot film to work off of. Its called First Class. :sly:

Avaitor

Well if GSF means that he'd like for Marvel Studios to buy back the rights to the X-Men movies so they can use them to their own will, I wouldn't be against that.

Especially if it means that they can add Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver into the Avengers without writing out their history. Especially if it means that there's a possibility that we can see Ian McKellen play Magneto at least one more time.

New blog!

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I'd actually be fine with them keeping the X-Men out of the Avengers movie-verse, myself, if only because for a series of films having that many characters added on in such a short time would just add up to disaster, IMO.

Anyways, Serenity....so, what was everyone's reaction to 2 of the major characters from the TV series dying? Even going into the movie the first time I had at least an idea of what the main characters were like since my friend described it to me, and he said that he expected at least 1 major character to die (which he rightfully guessed would be Sheppard, in that regard). However, he was taken by surprise when they killed off Wash at the end as well. I guess its not too surprising that it happened, though, if this was really meant to be the grande finale to the series.

Avaitor

The X-Men themselves don't need to be added in, but Wanda and Pietro are such a big part of the Avengers canon that it'd be a travesty to leave them out. Beast would be okay to add in too, since he was also an Avenger for a rather long period of time, and a fun one, at that.

And it's a Whedon thing for characters to die. He likes to remind you that no one lives forever and take them away when you least expect it. He even lived up to that in Avengers with Coulson.

New blog!

gunswordfist

Quote from: Brak's Dad on June 15, 2012, 09:42:29 AM
I think he'd rather just do a solo Kitty Pryde movie.
:whuh: Anybody but Kitty. I'd pick Cyclops since his version of him was my favorite.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody