The Demis: Wayyyy Better Than the Oscars

Started by Avaitor, December 16, 2012, 12:52:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Avaitor

Well, we'll just see what the next winner's trophy looks like, won't we?
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Avaitor

I'd post my next batch of these awards, but I'm too lazy to write a set of entries in.

Anyway, final Oscar predictions? Here's how I see the likelihood of any of this year's candidates going home with the gold is:

Amour- Ha! It'll win the Best Foreign Film award, and maybe one or two more (Screenplay's not too unlikely), but that's good enough for the Academy.
Argo- When the nominees were announced and Affleck's name wasn't up for Best Director, I thought that was it for the film. But if this award season's wins are any indication, history might be made. Dennis from 30 Rock is right- Affleck is going for the Oscar.
Beasts of the Southern Wild- The film has seemed to achieve a lot of praise from the industry, but I don't think it's earned enough from the older members of the Academy. Looks likes a wild horse to me.
Django Unchained- As much as I'd love to see the film win, this is not Tarantino's year. The year his next film comes out won't be his, either.
Les Miserables- In another year, maybe this would win. But this might be the least well-received film of the bunch if critics are any indication, and it's no one's favorite version of the musical, so I'm calling that it won't win out. But Hathaway is not going home empty-handed.
Life of Pi- Maybe, maybe not. Visual effects are a sure lock, though.
Lincoln- This was the go-to prediction when the nominations first came out, but as the year went by and the film itself won nothing, it's becoming less likely that Spielberg is going to have another BP winner in his hands. It might have an upset possibility, if only for how conservative the Academy can be and how a film like Lincoln should appeal to them, but I think Affleck will be avenged after all. But there's no way Daniel Day Lewis is not winning.
Silver Linings Playbook- Underdog choice. Actors love it, awards have been kind, and it's due time for a rom-com to win again. Plus people just really like seeing J Law on screen, especially when she's not in character. If she doesn't win Best Actress (but she probably will), this might take the big one just to show her on screen.
Zero Dark Thirty- I can't think of a film that has been so disliked by both liberals and conservatives like this in ages. Critics love it, but I think voters are scared.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Spark Of Spirit

"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

No-Personality

I think I've finally decided: I will never watch The Artist. And, that now goes for almost every single film nominated for this year's Oscars.
Well, I got so burned out on the road
Too many fags, too much blow
And then Mick and I split up and I said,
"Kid, it's time to take a little bit of a hiatus."
So I got myself a gig at the coffee shop
and I love it.
Why don't you take that corner booth,
I'll take your order in a minute...

Foggle

Quote from: No-Personality on March 01, 2013, 06:02:19 PM
I think I've finally decided: I will never watch The Artist. And, that now goes for almost every single film nominated for this year's Oscars.
Why not?

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

So, I didn't watch the Oscars, but I just found out that Argo won best picture. I can't really say whether it deserved it over any of the other films or not since I haven't seen most of the other movies, but I did like the movie itself and found it to be surprisingly better suited to my tastes than I had expected. That said, I don't really get how the film can win Best Picture yet not even make the nomination for Best Director. The Academy Awards always seem kind of screwed up like that.

Avaitor

This isn't the first time that's happened before, but it's been a long-ass time since the Best Picture winner didn't have its director nominated (the most recent time this happened was for Driving Miss Daisy).

But we're never going to get a Grand Hotel deal again, where the winner isn't nominated for any other award.

New blog!

Spark Of Spirit

To be honest, I thought Gone Baby Gone was criminally overlooked when it came out. I haven't yet seen Argo but I have a hard time imagining him topping it.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on March 06, 2013, 11:58:00 PM
To be honest, I thought Gone Baby Gone was criminally overlooked when it came out. I haven't yet seen Argo but I have a hard time imagining him topping it.

I....really didn't like Gone, Baby, Gone. To be honest, I just found it to be too slow and fairly boring, aside from some terrific acting. It actually kind of turned me off from any movies directed by Ben Affleck (though, to be fair, it was his first one, if I'm not mistaken). Then I saw The Town and thought it was OK, and then I saw Argo and thought it was great, which really caught me by surprise. So, I'd say that its worth giving a chance.

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on March 07, 2013, 12:00:04 AM
Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on March 06, 2013, 11:58:00 PM

I....really didn't like Gone, Baby, Gone. To be honest, I just found it to be too slow and fairly boring, aside from some terrific acting. It actually kind of turned me off from any movies directed by Ben Affleck (though, to be fair, it was his first one, if I'm not mistaken). Then I saw The Town and thought it was OK, and then I saw Argo and thought it was great, which really caught me by surprise. So, I'd say that its worth giving a chance.
Oh, really? Well, that sounds interesting. I'm not sure if I've yet seen The Town though, so I should probably get around to that first.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on March 07, 2013, 12:01:53 AM
Oh, really? Well, that sounds interesting. I'm not sure if I've yet seen The Town though, so I should probably get around to that first.

The Town I think was decent, but I'd say that if you liked Gone, Baby, Bone, you might enjoy that one as well. Like I said, my main problem with the former movie was that it just moved too slow for my taste, but this one I feel probably did a better job with its pacing (its still a fairly slow movie, though). That said, I can't completely vouch for whether you'd like that movie, or not.

However I would definitely recommend Argo. I thought it was great, and believe me when I say I wasn't expecting it to be. That one really caught me by surprise.

Avaitor

You guys ready to see another one of these?

Too bad. I'm working on it anyway.

New blog!