Kingdom Hearts series

Started by GaryPotter, July 03, 2013, 11:32:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GaryPotter

So, does anyone actually like this series?

I played the first game way back when it first came out. It was quirky and sort of stupid, but it had a charm that really worked. CoM was okay. I liked the idea of human enemies, but the gameplay wasn't that great. Kingdom Heart II was a weird, tedious, drawn-out bullshit fest. Ugh.

At which point I totally lost track of the series. However, I am planning on getting 1.5 Remix.

Nel_Annette

First game is charming and light-hearted for the majority of the game, and I've always loved it for that. CoM I still enjoyed, because I figured it was just a set-up for KH2. Cue KH2 coming out and fucking everything up. Stupid plot-points, focus shifted from the Disney worlds and characters to the Org. XIII plot. And all the side games since have done is introduce more bullshit rules to their bullshit world, with pointless characters and... ugh. I had a list of my grievances once, but I don't feel like getting that out right now. The series is a god damn mess, and I'm really only holding onto it out of obligation to see how KH3 ends. Plus, the combat is still fun.

Spark Of Spirit

I only played the first game.

The story keeps me from coming back. It's too loopy.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Nel_Annette

Keep it that way, Spark! Keep your innocence!

Avaitor

To some Disney fans, it's sacrilege if you don't love these games to bits and pieces. But I just have no interest whatsoever in them.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Grave

I actually didn't mind the gameplay in KH2 since the series itself just comes off as a watered down hack n slasher.

I don't mind the idea of combining Disney with Final Fantasy characters. I think Square just executed it wrong. That being said, I don't care for the series itself. Sora comes off as your typical shonen idiot (Donald and Goofy are idiots as well, at least in the game), and that really irked me, and then everything else was just ho-hum. However, considering that KH3 is finally coming out I am considering getting it just because it's long overdue.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I tried playing the first game a long time ago. I didn't hate it, but I didn't like it either. I found the gameplay to be dull and the story to be stupid. None of the Disney characters felt like themselves, and I didn't get any real sort of Disney-vibe from this game at all. It was a Square game, through-and-through, and I'm just not into that stuff, so I concluded that this series just wasn't for me, and have happily left it that way.

Nel_Annette

Despite you all seeming to hate the series, I would encourage people to at least check out the soundtracks. Yoko Shimomura did an amazing job with each game, and the way she brings back certain character leitmotifs in later games is just awesome.

Spark Of Spirit

You don't have to convince me of her talent. All her soundtracks are top notch. The Live A Live soundtrack is particularly impressive for being 16-bit yet having such an immense scope.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Avaitor

Yeah, I've heard bits of the first game's soundtrack a while ago, and really dug it. Shimomura's great.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/