Super Meat Boy

Started by Eddy, July 03, 2011, 12:55:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddy

I felt the need to make a thread for this game as I think it's one of the best platformers I've played in years.

Super Meat Boy is a 2D platformer created by Team Meat, which consists of just two guys. It was released on Xbox Live Arcade late last year and as since been released for the PC, Steam, and has a Mac version on the way as well. There was also a Wii version planned but, due to WiiWare's file size limit, they weren't able to get a working version of the game that they were satisfied with on the Wii.

SMB puts you in the shoes (well, he doesn't really wear shoes) of Meat Boy, a cube with no skin giving him a very meaty appearance. Meat Boy is in love with Bandage Girl, a girl made of bandages, and their lives are going pretty well. That is until bandage girl is kidnapped by the evil Dr. Fetus, a fetus in a jar in a robot suit wearing a tux, top hat, and monocle. To save Bandage Girl, Meat Boy will have to traverse five treacherous worlds, avoiding the traps laid by the diabolical doctor, to be reunited with his lady love.

I'll cut right to the chase: Super Meat Boy is HARD. Really hard. You should expect to die. A lot. But don't let that scare you away. Super Meat Boy is difficult but it's never impossible, even when it may seem like it is. There will be plenty of levels that, at first glance, you're going to be saying to yourself "I can't do that!" but that just makes the satisfactory feeling of beating the level all the sweeter. The game is tough, but always fair. When you die you'll only be able to blame yourself and not the game. This is because the controls are so fluid and perfect. Really, I haven't seen controls in a platformer this tight in a long time. The difficulty doesn't rush at you all at once either. It's a gradual process that builds you up for the more and more challenging stages. The game starts off easy with each level getting just a bit more difficult. It truly is the perfect flow.

And though you will die quite often, it doesn't mess up the flow of the game. When Meat Boy is killed his is instantly spawned back at the start of the level. No load times, no waiting around. You die, back to the start you go. You'll want to keep at it again and again until you finally show that stage who's boss! And when you finally do clear the level you'll be treated to replay featuring your success as well as all your failed attempts all happening at once. This can make for some very amusing moments.

There are over 300 levels in Super Meat Boy. Each stage has a "par time" which, upon clearing, allows you access to the Dark World. The Dark World features remixed versions of the levels in the Normal World, but in the Dark World the challenge is cranked up ten fold. Clearing these levels is optional but you'll want to do it if you want to see the "real" ending. Throughout each world there are also Warp Zones, hidden areas that transport Meat Boy to the world of gaming from yesteryear. These warp zone are a collection of three retro-themed levels sporting graphical styles of everything from Atari to the Game Boy.

Speaking of retro gaming, Super Meat Boy is full of references to classic video games that any fan is sure to get a kick out of. There are references to Super Mario Bros., Bubble Bobble, Pokemon, Ninja Gaiden, and even some obscure games like Adventures of Lolo.

The game also features a number of unlockable characters from various indie games. Some are in each version of the game, such as Commander Video from Bit.Trip. and some are exclusive to a certain version of the game, such as Tim from Braid being exclusive to the 360 version of the game. Each character plays differently and offers new ways to tackle challenges and complete levels.

Basically, if you love platformers, there's no reason you shouldn't love Super Meat Boy. Even if "perfection or die" type games aren't really your thing (because they aren't mine either), Super Meat Boy is basically what I would call "perfection or die done right". The game gets frustrating, it may have you cursing, but you'll feel the drive to keep going because it's just that satisfying to beat. There's a reason why it's my favorite Xbox Live Arcade game.

Oh yeah, and the soundtrack is fucking fantastic.

Spark Of Spirit

I don't really want to rain on anyone's parade (because I hate being that guy), but I just want to say one thing and you guys can go on talking about it.

Quote from: Eddy on July 03, 2011, 12:55:44 AMBasically, if you love platformers, there's no reason you shouldn't love Super Meat Boy. Even if "perfection or die" type games aren't really your thing (because they aren't mine either), Super Meat Boy is basically what I would call "perfection or die done right". The game gets frustrating, it may have you cursing, but you'll feel the drive to keep going because it's just that satisfying to beat. There's a reason why it's my favorite Xbox Live Arcade game.
I don't dislike these types of games because they're hard. I dislike them because they're the equivalent of a corridor shooter for platformers to me. You do things the way the game wants you to, you can't explore or experiment beyond tight spaces and lines, and you're very limited to what you are allowed to do. I'm sure there's a thrill in beating the levels, but it's not the kind of platformer for me.

I'm not going to say it's overrated as fuck like Braid, because I'm sure it deserves its praise, but this game isn't really for me.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Foggle

I love this game! The level editor is awesome and easy to use; every game should have one! I just wish I was good enough to collect all the bandages so I could unlock Mr. Minecraft. Oh well...

Eddy

Quote from: Desensitized on July 03, 2011, 01:01:42 AM
I don't really want to rain on anyone's parade (because I hate being that guy), but I just want to say one thing and you guys can go on talking about it.

I don't dislike these types of games because they're hard. I dislike them because they're the equivalent of a corridor shooter for platformers to me. You do things the way the game wants you to, you can't explore or experiment beyond tight spaces and lines, and you're very limited to what you are allowed to do. I'm sure there's a thrill in beating the levels, but it's not the kind of platformer for me.

I'm not going to say it's overrated as fuck like Braid, because I'm sure it deserves its praise, but this game isn't really for me.
I see where you're coming from and I respect your opinion. But I feel I should say things aren't always done one way in Super Meat Boy. When you're on the clock and trying to beat the levels quickly you'll find new ways to get through a level faster than you did before. I've seen some replays online where people have managed to pull off things and beat levels in ways I wouldn't have even dreamed was possible. Playing as the other characters also allows you to mix things up as they play completely different from each other. For example, after clearing one level with Meat Boy, I later went back with the character Ogmo (from the game Jumper) and discovered a completely new way to tackle the level.

But, again, I see what you mean. If it's not for you, it's not for you, and I can respect that.  :thumbup:

Quote from: Foggle on July 03, 2011, 01:03:14 AM
I love this game! The level editor is awesome and easy to use; every game should have one! I just wish I was good enough to collect all the bandages so I could unlock Mr. Minecraft. Oh well...
Oh god, those bandages are a pain in the ass. I went and managed to collect every one in the game, man... my thumbs will never be the same.  :shit: