Upcoming Movie Discussion

Started by Spark Of Spirit, December 25, 2011, 12:35:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spark Of Spirit

To start this off right, has everyone seen the preview for The Hobbit yet? Unlike LOTR, I actually read this book (Tolkien's writing is hard for me to get through, though I really like his stories) so I'm really looking forward to how Peter Jackson does it justice.

Any other films you guys are looking forward to?
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

talonmalon333

I saw that. Loved the trailer, especially seeing Gandalf and Gollum again.

Also looking forward to The Dark Knight Rises.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

The Hobbit looks great. I have read both The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings (which I count as one long book instead of 3, since Tolkien originally intended it to be just one large story, anyways), and while I love TLOTR, I think that The Hobbit was just flat-out a better book. Its a more confined and contained story but I think that works to its benefit, and although its not nearly as epic in scale, I just like a good adventure book and that's what its all about, a series of interconnected adventures of Bilbo Baggins and and a company of dwarfs as they quest to take down the dragon Smaug and retrieve their treasure. Oh, and BTW, I really hope that Jackson lets Smaug talk in this like he does in the book. For some reason I'm a little worried that in the movie adaptation he'll just make creatures like Trolls and Smaug into more animal-like beings that don't talk and just behave, well....like animals. At any rate, while I'm not really a fan of Peter Jackson's other works, the guy does know how to adapt Tolkien's material and make it translate well into film for the most part, so I'm definitely looking forward to this movie next year.

To be honest The Dark Knight Rises trailer didn't impress me in the least. That said, to be fair, the trailers for The Dark Knight and Inception didn't impress me in the least, either, and I ended up liking both of those movies a lot more than I expected, so I'm still fully confident that Christopher Nolan will pull out another great film, or at least a really good one. I just feel that the trailers for his movies are pretty damn boring.

Lord Dalek

Smaug is going to be voiced by Benedict Cumberbatch apparently.

Dr. Insomniac

Quote from: Lord Dalek on December 26, 2011, 09:24:48 AM
Smaug is going to be voiced by Benedict Cumberbatch apparently.
A giant dragon played by Sherlock Holmes. I like.

gunswordfist

Seems like only the Dark Knight Rises and Ong-Bak 4 are on my list. Oh and the next Spider-Man, (maybe) The Avengers and The Expendables 2.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Being that I enjoyed Iron Man (only the first one), Captain America, The Incredible Hulk, and Thor to varying degrees, I'm pretty excited about the Avengers movie, myself. I do see a potential problem of having too much going on at once, though, what with the movie having to handle multiple superheroes rather than just one, but hopefully it can pull it off without having things seem too cluttered, and without making any of the characters feel too shallow due to a lack of personal development time.

gunswordfist

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on December 28, 2011, 05:38:52 PM
Being that I enjoyed Iron Man (only the first one), Captain America, The Incredible Hulk, and Thor to varying degrees, I'm pretty excited about the Avengers movie, myself. I do see a potential problem of having too much going on at once, though, what with the movie having to handle multiple superheroes rather than just one, but hopefully it can pull it off without having things seem too cluttered, and without making any of the characters feel too shallow due to a lack of personal development time.
Oh yeah,that's the reason why I'm not too hot on live action superhero team up movies. They rarely flesh out all the characters since live action superhero movies love to waste time being cool or whatever.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody