"Thor" Talkback (Spoilers)

Started by Lord Dalek, March 02, 2012, 09:54:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daxdiv

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on March 03, 2012, 10:08:28 PM
I thought all 3 were great for different reasons. DC could learn a lot from what Marvel did.

Yep, poor little Green Lantern, why were you mediocre? In fact, why is it that the only successful DC movies are Batman?  I'll admit that I did like Watchmen movie and it's pretty much the closet thing we'll ever get to having a faithful adaptation of that. I still need to rewatch that to see how it holds up.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Oh yeah, well in that regard they certainly dropped the ball in that department as well. :sly:

Avaitor

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on March 03, 2012, 10:08:01 PM
Quote from: Avaitor on March 03, 2012, 09:45:47 PM
First Class was actually my least favorite of the Marvel movies from last year. I still quite enjoyed it, but it was kind of a "been there, done that" thing for me, while on the flip side, I loved seeing great interpretations of Thor and Cap on the big screen. On top of that, I didn't care for most of the underclassmen mutants as opposed to Xavier and Magneto.

The "been there done that" kind of feeling is exactly how I felt about Thor. I mean, it was entertaining, but I felt that nothing about it was necessarily great. Its kind of a standard super hero movie at its core with not much depth to it, but it was executed really well so that's why I still like it. As for First Class, I felt that it had the whole relationship between Xavier and Magneto going on and Magneto's character was especially interesting. Interesting characters was something I felt that Thor really lacked, to be honest. Captain America was pretty close to First Class in terms of quality, for me, but I gave First Class the edge simply because I'm more familiar with X-Men than I man with Captain America (which is to say that I haven't actually read any comics for either, but I've at least seen all of the X-Men movies).
That's true about Thor, the familiarity at least. When you get down to it, Thor was really little more than a fish out of water story with a heavy background in Norse mythology. Captain America deserves the most credit for originality, since it feels like a modern attempt at a propaganda flick from WWII and also works as a grade A popcorn flick.

And I really liked Thor and Loki's character arcs myself. Thor's with him adapting to the human world and coming to the realization that he isn't all that just yet, and Loki betraying Asgard and accepting his fate as one of Marvel's top villains were both strong and melded well together IMO.

But yeah, I see what you mean otherwise. The human characters weren't so great, give or take Jane. In fact, Kat Dennings character was fucking atrocious. Plus Anthony Hopkins seemed kind of lost as Odin and the Warriors Three were underdeveloped.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Oh yeah, in regards to Loki, he was a really interesting and well-developed villain, to the movie's credit. In comparison, I felt that the villains in Captain America and First Class were considerably weaker. They weren't bad or anything, but to me they felt like they were sort of just there to enhance the roles of the main characters. That is to say, with Captain America I felt that Red Skull was OK as a villain but more so he was just there to give Captain America a threat to fight against. With First Class the main villain was honestly completely forgettable aside from the fact that he was the main fuel behind Magneto's anger and resentment.

Overall, though, each of the 3 movies had their strengths and weaknesses, but each came out with their strengths outweighing their weaknesses, and those were just 3 movies in one summer season. On the other hand, DC couldn't even get 1 film fight with Green Lantern. That's a shame, too, because I thought that GL would be one of the easier heroes of their's to adapt to the big screen for a mainstream audience.

Spark Of Spirit

Captain America was just a perfect popcorn flick, like Avaitor said. Of all three it's the one I can just pop in for some great action. The characters are all great, too.

First Class was a great spy movie with a superhero bent (or is it the other way around?) with a few great characters and a few weak ones and some that were merely okay.

Thor was a great superhero movie. Some great characters (like Thor and Loki) and some really bad ones (Juno... I mean, Kat) to mix it up. It was probably the weakest of the three, but its still a high quality effort in the genre.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Avaitor

Quote from: Daxdiv on March 03, 2012, 10:16:48 PM
Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on March 03, 2012, 10:08:28 PM
I thought all 3 were great for different reasons. DC could learn a lot from what Marvel did.

Yep, poor little Green Lantern, why were you mediocre? In fact, why is it that the only successful DC movies are Batman?  I'll admit that I did like Watchmen movie and it's pretty much the closet thing we'll ever get to having a faithful adaptation of that. I still need to rewatch that to see how it holds up.
It's hard to say with DC, because you can't blame just one person or thing for the failures of all their recent movies.

Bryan Singer jumped the gun by trying to make a sequel to Donner's Superman movies and modernize them to the point that he forgot how cheesy those were and made Superman Returns such a mess. And just because your Superman and Lois look like Christopher Reeve and Margot Kidder doesn't mean that they are actually going to be good as Supes and Lois.

Watchmen was as good of an adaptation for the graphic novel as you could expect. Really, trying to make a movie out of Watchmen is kind of pointless, since it in many ways is a movie in comic book form. And that's why we'll probably never see a MGS movie either, or if we do, it'll be an underdeveloped, dreadful turd.

But as for Watchmen, it did as well as an extremely graphic, nearly 3-hour-long adaptation of a graphic novel that's barely known in the public's eye possibly could.

Jonah Hex was just a misstep through in through. Hex is a fun character, but not someone that is easy to adapt. You need a director with a great visual flair, a keen appreciation for westerns, and a casting director that wouldn't hire Megan fucking Fox for their film.

As for Green Lantern, I think Warner just needed more time, to fill out another draft or two of the script, get a better budget for their special effects, and train Ryan Reynolds and Blake Lively to be more prepared for their roles. It could've been a good movie, but I think they rushed it up in since Warner didn't want GL to pale in comparison to The Dark Knight Rises, and were expecting at least one of Marvel's movies to suck and tank so it'd look better. And as you can tell, it just didn't happen that way

Will Snyder's Superman Begins be the movie that brings DC up to par with Marvel's film department? Beats me.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

gunswordfist

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on March 03, 2012, 10:08:01 PM
Quote from: Avaitor on March 03, 2012, 09:45:47 PM
First Class was actually my least favorite of the Marvel movies from last year. I still quite enjoyed it, but it was kind of a "been there, done that" thing for me, while on the flip side, I loved seeing great interpretations of Thor and Cap on the big screen. On top of that, I didn't care for most of the underclassmen mutants as opposed to Xavier and Magneto.

The "been there done that" kind of feeling is exactly how I felt about Thor. I mean, it was entertaining, but I felt that nothing about it was necessarily great. Its kind of a standard super hero movie at its core with not much depth to it, but it was executed really well so that's why I still like it. As for First Class, I felt that it had the whole relationship between Xavier and Magneto going on and Magneto's character was especially interesting. Interesting characters was something I felt that Thor really lacked, to be honest. Captain America was pretty close to First Class in terms of quality, for me, but I gave First Class the edge simply because I'm more familiar with X-Men than I man with Captain America (which is to say that I haven't actually read any comics for either, but I've at least seen all of the X-Men movies).
what the hell Marvel movie is like Thor? You have got to be kidding me.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Its the standard fish out of water story. I didn't say its like every other Marvel movie, but it goes through the regular routines that I've seen in other super hero movies (i.e. hero starts out kicking-ass, gets cocky, comes through some full-circle realization of the greater purpose of his powers/abilities and the like). Its pretty standard stuff. Its executed pretty well, though.

Angus

Seeing the main guy from Luther (BBC TV series) was cool. He needs to be in more movies.
Loki's turn was right there from the start but that's okay for a standard superhero movie.
That guardian kicks ass too.
Still tired of the "hanging by an arm" action cliche.
"You don't have to eat the entire turd to know that it's not a crab cake." - Bean, Shadow of the Hegemon

Avaitor

New blog!