"Star Trek Into Darkness" Talkback (Spoilers)

Started by Dr. Ensatsu-ken, May 15, 2013, 11:44:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I'm stuck in my college dorm room until Friday. All of my classes and exams are done and stuff, but I couldn't really get the opportunity or means to go home until the end of the week, and pretty much all of my friends will be gone by tomorrow, so I may just catch an afternoon showing of this movie, then, since I'll pretty much have nothing else to do (I don't even have my TV and XBOX360, here).

Also, I'm aware that the listed release date is for this Friday, however the theater close to my college is screening it a day early just like they did with Iron Man 3 when I saw it on Thursday.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I just got back from seeing the movie. Overall, I liked it as much as the first film, which is to say that it was a good, solid flick, but something that shies away from being truly great. Now, the ending could have been great, if it weren't for the total cop-out (IMO), but either way this movie did a great job of REALLY making me want to re-watch Wrath of Khan. As I've mentioned before, I saw that movie way too long ago to remember much of it, and its the only classic Star Trek movie that I've seen, but now its about time that I finally go back and watch it again, now that I can appreciate it more. While I'm at it, I'll probably seek out and watch the rest of the "good" classic Star Trek movies.

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on May 16, 2013, 04:10:47 PM
I just got back from seeing the movie. Overall, I liked it as much as the first film, which is to say that it was a good, solid flick, but something that shies away from being truly great. Now, the ending could have been great, if it weren't for the total cop-out (IMO), but either way this movie did a great job of REALLY making me want to re-watch Wrath of Khan. As I've mentioned before, I saw that movie way too long ago to remember much of it, and its the only classic Star Trek movie that I've seen, but now its about time that I finally go back and watch it again, now that I can appreciate it more. While I'm at it, I'll probably seek out and watch the rest of the "good" classic Star Trek movies.
A decent action movie? That's about all I was expecting. I'll wait for the DVD/Netflix.

Wrath Of Khan was just so surprisingly good and even it's sequel (Search For Spock) doesn't come close.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Yeah, I think its decent enough to certainly be worth seeing. Keep in mind, though, this is from the perspective of someone who's a complete newbie to the Star Trek franchise on the whole. I have no idea what long-time fans would think of it.

Lord Dalek

BEYOND THE DARKNESS LIES GREATNESS

"You think you world is safe? It is an illusion. A comforting lie told to protect you." - John Harrison

Release Date: 5/16/2013
Studio: Paramount/Skydance/Bad Robot
Director: J.J. Abrams
Aspect Ratio: 2.40:1 (Panavison/IMAX)
Starring: John Cho, Benedict Cumberbatch, Alice Eve, Bruce Greenwood, Simon Pegg, Chris Pine, Zachary Quinto, Zoe Saldana, Karl Urban, Peter Weller, Anton Yelchin

Plot Summary: When the crew of the Enterprise is called back home, they find an unstoppable force of terror from within their own organization has detonated the fleet and everything it stands for, leaving our world in a state of crisis. With a personal score to settle, Captain Kirk leads a manhunt to a war-zone world to capture a one man weapon of mass destruction. As our heroes are propelled into an epic chess game of life and death, love will be challenged, friendships will be torn apart, and sacrifices must be made for the only family Kirk has left: his crew.

COMMENTS?

LD TALKBACK #215