Shmups

Started by Lord Dalek, April 21, 2013, 01:49:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lord Dalek

Apparently these are a niche market that only hipsters play. Do you agree?

Also Konami stopped making them like after Gradius V... or something.

Rynnec

They should just be relegated to smartphone and tablet games.  :sly:

I really liked Hard Corps. Uprising, and what I've played of Metal Slug 3. I also want to try some of the Bullet Hell stuff like Ikaruga or one of the Touhou's.

Lord Dalek

Quote from: Rynnec on April 21, 2013, 02:54:04 PM
I really liked Hard Corps. Uprising, and what I've played of Metal Slug 3. I also want to try some of the Bullet Hell stuff like Ikaruga or one of the Touhou's.
Ikaruga ain't technically bullet hell due to the polarity thing. DoDonPachi and Espgaluda of the other hand...

Foggle

Quote from: Rynnec on April 21, 2013, 02:54:04 PM
They should just be relegated to smartphone and tablet games.  :sly:
Agreed, there is simply no room in today's console market for games that aren't multi-billion dollar cover shooters. :thinkin:

Sunset Riders is amazing, probably one of my all time favorite games. I also have a thing for bullet hells, even though I am utter shit at them.

gunswordfist

XBLA needs more 4 player shoot em ups.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Spark Of Spirit

I enjoy the sidescrollers like run n guns for usually throwing in some fun platforming. Contra (NES), Sunset Riders, Ranger-X, and such.

As for traditional, I dig Blazing Lazers, Gun NAC, and the first R-Type the most. For 'gimmicky' ones I enjoy Radiant Silvergun, Boogie Wings, and Axelay (the 3D stuff). I still have yet to try the Thunderforce games.

I have no patience for bullet-hell or most modern moe shooters.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Lord Dalek

So guys how about Konami's shooters?...which are completely not niche because they so do not belong to series that didn't come out in America?

gunswordfist

The more I think about it, the more I consider Gunstar Heroes' Golden Silver to be the best shoot em up boss ever. The first half, anyway. The part where he's on the ground and actually fights you himself. Throwing GS and vice versa and body slamming him is so much fun. The only thing that could make it better is if you could melee attack him a la Metal Slug. Unfortunately most of MS' bosses kill you via touch so that's not even possible in that game either. Anyway, me talking about Golden Silver also reminds me how much fun fighting Orange, Green himself and I think the last part of the Colonel Red is. Man, I might get my little brother and finally get around to playing Gunstar Heroes on Hard mode today.

Lord Dalek

Bringing this back because lately I've been playing the hell out of:

Terra Diver - WAAAAY underrated quasi Rayforce clone
Raystorm - Controversially enough I might actually like this a little more than its prequel.
Cotton 2 - Way better than the first one, graphics are fucking gorgeous.
Mushihimesama - Quickly becoming one of my favorite Cave danmakus. Better than Futari IMHO.

...damn I really need to redo that list I made.

Spark Of Spirit

I remember really digging Raystorm the last time I played it.

I'm so bad at the genre, but a good shmup never gets old no matter how short it is.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

gunswordfist

I thought about making a Metal Slug thread but I doubt it when gain much mileage (unless Foggle can convince me otherwise). I am wondering where I should rank Metal Slug XX on my favorite shmups lists. I think I'd have it right below Gunstar Heroes, even though I don't think a lot of GH's bosses are fun to fight. I'll beat Gunstar Heroes at least once more to get a better opinion on it.

Spark Of Spirit

How would you rate the Metal Slug series as a whole?

gunswordfist

Uh..I love the series but I've been recently playing games that are good but clearly could be better (3 and XX, of course) and haven't played 1 and 2 in years. Plus there's also 4 (I believe that's the one I played years ago. Maybe over 5) which was clearly lackluster. I do think I'd really love 1 and 2 if I got to play them on something that's not a slow computer (not this one, which means I probably should try that) I guess it would be like a mixed bag but I'll have to get back to you on this question.

Spark Of Spirit

If you have a 3DS, I highly recommend Steel Empire on the e-shop. It's a remake of the Genesis game with some great production values. It's also currently on sale for 15 bucks from 30. It's worth the price.

Classic shmups are awesome, and so far I think this one stacks up with them.

gunswordfist

I am playing the demo to Super Cyborg now. Complete and total Contra ripoff and I love it. I hear it has all of Contra 1's weapon's and online co-op. Looks like I might be buying this and not just about any Contra game since dumbass Konami literally has NONE OF THEM ON STEAM