Favorite Anime

Started by Avaitor, December 27, 2010, 04:35:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spark Of Spirit

Because it's somebody's favorite: Funimation has licensed the second half of D.Gray-Man.

It probably goes well with the new series coming up.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

LumRanmaYasha

Better late than never, I suppose.

gunswordfist

10. Lupin The Third Part 1 and 2
Erased
Fist Of The Northstar
One Punch Man
My Hero Academia
Jojo's Bizarre Adventure
Trigun
Ushio & Tora
Hunter X Hunter 2011
1. Hunter X Hunter 1999

In order. I didn't feel like numbering them because I am about to get ready for the 4th. I might one day give Trigun and Ushio quick rewatches to see who deserves the 3rd spot. MHA and One Punch Man are kind of interchangeable on my list so I might rewatch them too. And the Hunters to see if they still hold up for me.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Avaitor

U&T is REALLY starting to hit a nerve for me, to the point that I can easily see it crack my top 10 when I'm done with it.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

:joy: :thumbup:

Which part are you up to, BTW?

Once I got to a certain flashback portion of the series around the halfway point, and saw just how well all the individual pieces fit together (which makes me wonder if this whole story was planned out in advance), I was pretty sure that it would crack my top ten. Then in the last cour of the series, it managed to work its way up to my top five, and the excellent conclusion finally put it into my top three. To me, this is the battle shonen genre at its absolute best, and it says a lot about my tastes considering that all of my top three favorite anime are battle shonen. :sweat:

Spark Of Spirit

It really is a great anime. It starts off like a well done monster of the week show that turns out to have much more to it than originally thought. Here's a fun tidbit: The original OVA only covered episodes 1, 2, 4, 5, 6, and 9. Just think how many OVA-only watchers missed out on everything else.

This is why I hope it gets a Toonami run more than anything. It really deserves the exposure.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Avaitor

I'm about to watch episode 20. Holy shit, the last few episodes have been tight.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Spark Of Spirit

I think episode 20 might surprise you.

Dreamer2

All of this praise for Ushio & Tora is making me think I should give it a shot. But, I just decided to do Rurouni Kenshin now that I've finished HxH. What to do. ???

Avaitor

My advice would be to give the RK manga a go, and to watch Ushio and Tora instead.

If you still have a thirst for Kenshin after you read the manga, then give the pre-filler anime and Samurai X a go. :thumbup:

New blog!

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: Avaitor on July 04, 2016, 11:11:53 PMMy advice would be to give the RK manga a go, and to watch Ushio and Tora instead.

If you still have a thirst for Kenshin after you read the manga, then give the pre-filler anime and Samurai X a go. :thumbup:

Pretty much this. The anime does a good job of adapting the Kyoto arc, which I think is excellent, but the Tokyo arc has too much filler and may feel like a slog to get through in order to get to the good stuff, and the entire last third of the anime is pure filler. It never actually adapts the Revenge arc.

As for the OVAs, Trust and Betrayal adapts the Remembrance storyline, and it's one of my favorite pieces of animation in general. However, avoid Reflection like the plague. It's pretty atrocious. The same goes for the Shin Kyoto-Hen OVAs, which are arguably the worst things to have the RK label slapped onto them.

The manga is your best bet for a work of consistent quality, and is currently the only actual way to experience the Revenge arc which was never animated outside of a few scenes in Reflection (which, as I said, is garbage).

Ushio and Tora is a great watch, and at only 39 episodes I highly recommend it. You get a full story that ties up all of its plot threads and fully develops all of its characters, and it's not a super long commitment, yet it has a bigger pay-off than most long-running shonen series, including Hunter X Hunter (and I say that as a huge fan of HXH, as you know).

Dreamer2

Thanks for the suggestions!

I haven't fully decided what I'm doing yet. But, I really don't want to add a long running manga to my reading list right now, because it's already pretty long and there's some stuff that I've been wanting to read for a while that I've already pushed back enough. I might get to it eventually though.

One of the reasons I wanted to try RK, is because I've been wanting to watch a 90s anime for a while now. Especially since I haven't seen all that much from the 90s. Plus, the story seems interesting enough. If the filler becomes too annoying I could always stop. That's what I was planning to do with Naruto, but I never actually got that far in the first show.

I'll probably end up just doing one right after the other, since U&T has been on my radar for a little while as well. The lower episode count does sound appealing as well. I'm really not good at choosing the next show(s) that I should watch. :sweat:

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: Dreamer2 on July 05, 2016, 12:35:37 AMThanks for the suggestions!

I haven't fully decided what I'm doing yet. But, I really don't want to add a long running manga to my reading list right now, because it's already pretty long and there's some stuff that I've been wanting to read for a while that I've already pushed back enough. I might get to it eventually though.

Well, if you are going to watch the anime, make sure to stop at episode 62, which wraps up the Kyoto arc. Everything after that is filler.

QuoteOne of the reasons I wanted to try RK, is because I've been wanting to watch a 90s anime for a while now. Especially since I haven't seen all that much from the 90s. Plus, the story seems interesting enough.

It is an interesting story, and the canon material is adapted well in the anime. While I have always liked it from the beginning, I've noticed other people say that they felt the beginning was too slow and boring. I disagree with this personally, but knowing how you felt about the earlier portions of Hunter X Hunter, just expect that RK's first arc may have that same affect on you, but most people always agree that it gets pretty great by the Kyoto arc.

That said, as far as 90's shonen go, while the anime is modern, Ushio and Tora is actually based off of a 90's manga, so it's really more like a 90's anime that just happens to have modern animation. ;)

Also, I'm not sure if you've already given Yu Yu Hakusho a shot or not, but considering that it's a 90's anime with no filler and by the creator of Hunter X Hunter, it's definitely worth watching if you haven't tried it yet. Personally, I think that it's more consistent in quality than HXH, and I believe that the show is available for streaming on FUNimation's website.

Dreamer2

Quote from: Dr. Ensatsu-ken on July 05, 2016, 12:52:27 AM
That said, as far as 90's shonen go, while the anime is modern, Ushio and Tora is actually based off of a 90's manga, so it's really more like a 90's anime that just happens to have modern animation. ;)

That just makes my decision evern harder now. ;D

QuoteAlso, I'm not sure if you've already given Yu Yu Hakusho a shot or not, but considering that it's a 90's anime with no filler and by the creator of Hunter X Hunter, it's definitely worth watching if you haven't tried it yet. Personally, I think that it's more consistent in quality than HXH, and I believe that the show is available for streaming on FUNimation's website.

I was actually planning to do that next if it was on CR or Netflix, but it's not and I was a little disappointed by that. I don't have a subscription to Funimation, so I don't think I can watch it like on CR you can watch the stuff with commercials even if you don't have a subscription. I watched a little bit of it as a kid, and I'm pretty sure I'd like it now. Maybe one day.

VLordGTZ

Yu Yu Hakusho is available to watch on Funimation's site without a subscription as long as you're willing to watch ads.  Unfortunately, you won't be able to watch it in HD, but the footage is still from the blu-ray remaster so it looks really nice.  If you enjoyed HxH, then I'd definitely recommend checking it out.