Donkey Kong series

Started by Spark Of Spirit, July 02, 2013, 04:47:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

talonmalon333

Any news on whether or not they'll put those DKC games back onto Wii Virtual Console? Or are they off for good?

Spark Of Spirit

I'm pretty sure Nintendo is done with the Wii Virtual Console now.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Foggle

Great news! Hopefully they'll still be there in a couple months. :P My video game funds until the middle of April have already been allocated!

Spark Of Spirit

Powered my way through World 8. Yep, still not fun. Hot Rocket, Rickety Rails and the final boss are probably some of the worst levels in the game. That said, one or two of the levels were not bad, but Retro put too many obstacles in the way which made the pace slow down.

I'd rank the worlds as such:

World 7
World 6
World 5
World 3
World 2
World 1
World 8
World 4

Now for the Secret World, then on to DKC1!
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Foggle

Which was the level where you have to climb the fucking lava waterfalls? I almost threw my controller on that one.

Spark Of Spirit

Red Red Rising which is 8-7 the level right before the final boss. That's the one where you have to wait for the platforms to fly out of the lava to jump on them, too.

Not a fan of that one.

On the other hand, World 9 has been pretty great so far. You can tell how much Retro learned about platformers when comparing it to the earlier levels in the game.

Spark Of Spirit

Okay, that's Donkey Kong Country Returns. That last level in World 9 (the only bonus level in the Wii version) is fairly annoying. Too many small platforms and considering the lack of momentum you have in this game it makes it even more annoying. Otherwise the other levels are great.

All in all, Returns is a great platformer, especially considering it is the first one Retro ever made. It still holds up great.

Now to go back to the far past and replay some Donkey Kong Country for the SNES.

talonmalon333

I'd still call it the best Wii 2D platformer.

Spark Of Spirit

Personally, I'd put it behind Klonoa, Kirby's Return to Dreamland, and New Super Mario Bros. Wii, but it is top 5 with Wario Land Shake It.

Spark Of Spirit

I think Donkey Kong Country 1 has officially fallen into SMW and Sonic 2 territory for me. A game I have played so much I now have muscle memory dedicated to its whole. I finally stopped playing by the time I beat World 3 and I've been playing far less than an hour.

Commode

I'd only put it behind Kirby, personally.
It doesn't matter what you say, soon you'll be dead anyway.

Spark Of Spirit

The DKC trilogy is back on the Wii Virtual Console, too. So if you haven't gotten them yet, you might as well grab them. Who knows how long it'll take until they're removed again?

I beat both DKC1 and DKL1. Awkward physics aside, the level design in DKL1 is pretty good. Not sure why people prefer DKL2 which is just a lesser version of DKC2.

Anyway, DKC1 is still great. Up next, one of the best games ever.

Spark Of Spirit

I've been really enjoying my time through DKC2. I always forget how hard some of these stages are. On the other hand, it rarely ever gets overly frustrating, even with the small difficulty spikes throughout.

On the other hand, this is the only classic DKC game where I actually enjoy going for 100%. There sure is a lot to find.

talonmalon333

Are there many who prefer DKC to DKC2? I honestly can't think of any category where 2 doesn't beat the original. Any category I can think of is, at worst, slightly better in 2. And at best, massively better.

Spark Of Spirit

A lot of it is nostalgia or people who never played DKC2. I never really see anyone saying they prefer DKC1 over it otherwise.

It's a lot like Mega Man 2 to the original. It just does everything better.