Donkey Kong series

Started by Spark Of Spirit, July 02, 2013, 04:47:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Foggle

So I take it you never got to the other two instances of Beaver Bother, then? :sly:

Am I the only person here who has 101%ed the game?

talonmalon333

Quote from: Foggle on April 16, 2015, 09:05:18 PM
It really isn't that bad.

I'll be buying it on the VC once I have the money.

I agree it's not as bad as some people make it out to be, but I honestly don't think it's a good game. It almost seems more to me like an experiment in "quantity over quality" than a real video game.

Foggle

It's not a particularly good game, but aside from some of the mini-games and parts of the final boss fight, I would hardly call it a bad one. It's just extremely tedious if you want to collect everything.

Spark Of Spirit

If it's put on sale I'll buy it for the arcade version of Donkey Kong. Until then, I'm not touching it.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Foggle

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on April 16, 2015, 09:28:23 PM
If it's put on sale I'll buy it for the arcade version of Donkey Kong. Until then, I'm not touching it.
Which is oddly still the best home console port of the game...

Kiddington

Quote from: Foggle on April 16, 2015, 09:13:44 PM
So I take it you never got to the other two instances of Beaver Bother, then? :sly:

Am I the only person here who has 101%ed the game?

I made it farther when I was a kid; on the very first playthrough I believe made it all the way to Hideout Helm (or somewhere up to that point). Might've been around 60-70% complete, maybe more. So yeah, I've played the later stages of Beaver Bother.

I was pretty fed up with it at that point (this is when I was TEN by the way, when I would waste my time with pretty much any game), so I put it down for several years and forgot about it, then picked it back up and started a new file around 2008-ish in my attempt to give it another shot. That was as far as I got.

Sorry, but it sucks. Just my humble hot take.

talonmalon333

Quote from: Foggle on April 16, 2015, 09:29:33 PM
Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on April 16, 2015, 09:28:23 PM
Which is oddly still the best home console port of the game...

I wouldn't say "oddly". I mean, console ports of ancient arcade games tend to be watered down versions.

I forget how many Golden Bananas I had when I beat the game. Pretty sure it was over 100, but I know for a fact I didn't get all of them.

Foggle

Quote from: talonmalon333 on April 16, 2015, 09:33:48 PM
I wouldn't say "oddly". I mean, console ports of ancient arcade games tend to be watered down versions.
Yeah, but there are newer ports and they aren't as good.

talonmalon333

Quote from: Foggle on April 16, 2015, 09:36:04 PM
Yeah, but there are newer ports and they aren't as good.

But aren't they just ports of old ports? :P

Foggle

That's true; I think they're ports of the gimped NES version rather than the original arcade game.

talonmalon333

The best home console port of an arcade game is probably Pac-Man. The Atari port is so pleasant to look at.

gunswordfist

Can someone explain to me why Ms. Pac-Man is one player only one XBLA?
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Foggle

Quote from: talonmalon333 on April 16, 2015, 09:54:40 PM
The best home console port of an arcade game is probably Pac-Man. The Atari port is so pleasant to look at.
The 2600 version of Donkey Kong is almost as good, though.

Quote from: gunswordfist on April 16, 2015, 09:58:20 PM
God is dead.

talonmalon333

I especially like how Donkey Kong looks in that port. I feel like I could recreate that in Paint in 5 minutes.

What's funny about Atari Pac-Man is that Pac-Man Jr. also got an Atari port, one that wasn't rushed out the door. The difference between these two ports is like night and day.

Quote from: gunswordfist on April 16, 2015, 09:58:20 PM

To encourage people to not play it and instead play the best port of any arcade game:

Quote from: talonmalon333 on April 16, 2015, 09:54:40 PM

talonmalon333

What's the best Pac-Man game, by the way?