Donkey Kong series

Started by Spark Of Spirit, July 02, 2013, 04:47:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

talonmalon333

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I've always found DKC1 better than DKC3.

There, how's that for my counter-argument?

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on July 09, 2013, 05:43:45 PM
I've always found DKC1 better than DKC3.

There, how's that for my counter-argument?
No movie analogy? I can't accept it.  ;)
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on July 09, 2013, 05:45:29 PM
No movie analogy? I can't accept it.  ;)

I was going to say its like comparing Alien to Alien 3, but I figured that would piss some people off. :>

talonmalon333

Wouldn't my Star Wars analogy still stand? :D

Kiddington

Another one of my favorite DKC3 tracks.

Guys, can we just take a minute to give Eveline Fischer some love here? She's not Dave Wise, but I really feel like the original DKC3 soundtrack is massively underrated around these parts.

talonmalon333

Quote from: Kiddington on July 25, 2013, 05:15:59 AM

Guys, can we just take a minute to give Eveline Fischer some love here? She's not Dave Wise, but I really feel like the original DKC3 soundtrack is massively underrated around these parts.

I posted the songs I like earlier. I'm a bit indifferent to many of it's songs. :humhumhum:

Kiddington

Quote from: talonmalon333 on July 25, 2013, 11:49:30 AM

I posted the songs I like earlier. I'm a bit indifferent to many of it's songs. :humhumhum:

Well, see, your indifference is just bad taste.  :>

I dunno, I just like this soundtrack about as much as the other two. A lot of people don't seem to though, so... *shrugs*

talonmalon333

Quote from: Kiddington on July 25, 2013, 12:02:10 PM
Quote from: talonmalon333 on July 25, 2013, 11:49:30 AM

Well, see, your indifference is just bad taste.  :>

I dunno, I just like this soundtrack about as much as the other two. A lot of people don't seem to though, so... *shrugs*

Bad taste would be saying it's on the same level as the soundtracks in DKC1 and 2. >_<

But I actually like DKC3's soundtrack, more than my above post implied. I just don't love it like how I do for the first two games.

Spark Of Spirit

It's good, but it's not really my style. I enjoy atmospheric music, but not when playing games. The reason David Wise's atmospheric tracks work so well is because he still makes them really catchy and involving.

Like, this is his version of Waterfall and it's just so much better to me than Eveline Fischer's track. It still has the atmosphere, but there's just more going on.

Then again, David Wise is one of my favorite game composers with Koji Kondo, Yuzo Koshiro, and Masato Nakamura, in that they just do everything so well.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Kiddington

I dunno, I think his soundtrack in the remake is fine, but nothing as memorable as what he did in the first two games. And I still like Eveline Fischer's score better. To me, DKC3 is a really atmospheric game; the levels have a certain ambiance to them that fit this soundtrack so perfectly IMO. I mean, this is a great track, for sure, but totally unfitting for a level like Ripsaw Rage. The original, on the other hand, nails it. This is a gloomy level, and it's only natural that it be accompanied by gloomy music.

But hey, that's just me.

talonmalon333

I still think DKC3, purely by default, is the least atmospheric of the trilogy.

Kiddington

Of course you would say that.

It's less so than 2, but 2 is pretty hard to top in every way imaginable. Still though, I think it's moreso than 1. I dunno, for some reason I just don't have as high of an opinion of 1 anymore. It kinda soured on me the last time I played through it (which wasn't that long ago), because a lot of the bonus rooms are so fucked up and stupidly placed that it's nigh impossible to fully complete the game. And there are some really awful levels too; the less said about Blackout Basement, the better.

Still a great game, but... I really think it is the weakest link of the three. Semi-unpopular opinion, but I'm sticking with it.

Spark Of Spirit

I always give up on any 101% run of DKC1 once I hit the first barrel canyon level. Getting all the bonuses on the level is a real pain and it doesn't get less frustrating after that point. There's also the fact that there isn't really much incentive to find the bonus levels unlike the sequels. If you just play it to beat the levels it's much better.

talonmalon333

Quote from: Kiddington on July 29, 2013, 12:52:51 AM
Of course you would say that.

It's less so than 2, but 2 is pretty hard to top in every way imaginable. Still though, I think it's moreso than 1. I dunno, for some reason I just don't have as high of an opinion of 1 anymore. It kinda soured on me the last time I played through it (which wasn't that long ago), because a lot of the bonus rooms are so fucked up and stupidly placed that it's nigh impossible to fully complete the game. And there are some really awful levels too; the less said about Blackout Basement, the better.

Still a great game, but... I really think it is the weakest link of the three. Semi-unpopular opinion, but I'm sticking with it.

All three games are really atmospheric to me. I just like DKC3's atmosphere less. DKC1 had a nice, tropical feel to it. DKC3 has more of a summer camp woodland feel to it. And that's fine, it's just not as DK-like to me.