Donkey Kong series

Started by Spark Of Spirit, July 02, 2013, 04:47:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

talonmalon333

Really, DKC2 should go into video game textbooks, in the chapter dedicated to "How to Make a Follow-up".

Spark Of Spirit

I just realized, this year is the 20th anniversary of DKC2.

Hard to imagine this game is that old. It still feels brand new to me even so many years later.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I still think that DKC 1 is a great game, and has a nice sense of simplicity to its level design that gives the game a nice flow. That said, I just find that DKC2 is a more interesting game, overall. It has a couple of levels that I hate, like Slime Climb, Castle Crush, and Animal Antics, but tge majority of levels are excellent and more varried than in the original.

That said, I don't agree with the notion that the second game makes the first one obsolete or irrelevant, just like how I still love games such as the original Star Fox, Streets of Rage, Super Mario Bros., and Sonic 2, despite their sequels being clearly better. Those didn't just stop being great all of a sudden, but it's popular to claim otherwise.

Spark Of Spirit

I've been going back to DKL2 in between spurts of DKC2 and it's not all that great.

Also for some reason Lockjaw's Saga plays on like the nine of the first twelves stages. Why? I have no idea.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Dr. Ensatsu-ken on March 03, 2015, 05:16:30 PMThat said, I don't agree with the notion that the second game makes the first one obsolete or irrelevant, just like how I still love games such as the original Star Fox, Streets of Rage, Super Mario Bros., and Sonic 2, despite their sequels being clearly better. Those didn't just stop bring great all of a sudden, but it's popular to claim otherwise.
Platformers aren't puzzle games, sport sims, or fighters. It's not really possible for a new game to completely render an older game irrelevant unless it's a remake. The games are all about level design and control which cannot really be replicated in sequels.

For instance of another genre, DOOM II does everything better than the original, but it has different level design so I don't have any reason to not go back and play the original if I want to play more DOOM.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

The only DKL game that I've ever played is the first one, and that was over 15 years ago.

Foggle

Donkey Kong Country is "obsolete" in the same way that Super Mario Bros., Sonic the Hedgehog, and Ratchet & Clank are. Are they as good as their sequels? Not really. Are they kind of clunky by comparison? Yes. Are they still great games? Definitely.

talonmalon333

Just so you know, E-K, we weren't implying that DKC is obsolete. It's still a very playable game. Just not as good as 2.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I know. I wasn't referring to you guys, but just gamers in general. I've heard other people say such things about the original DKC, and while I agree that 2 is better, it's not enough to stop me from going back to the original.

Spark Of Spirit

The last world really has a strangely balanced difficulty. Arctic Abyss and Windy Well are pretty hard but Castle Crush and Clapper's Cavern aren't really very hard and are pretty easy to get 100% in.

On the other hand, I know Toxic Tower and Screech's Sprint are still up, and I still have to go through the final boss and *SHUDDER* Animal Antics. So maybe I shouldn't be going on about this yet.

Kiddington

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on March 03, 2015, 05:54:28 PM
I've been going back to DKL2 in between spurts of DKC2 and it's not all that great.

Also for some reason Lockjaw's Saga plays on like the nine of the first twelves stages. Why? I have no idea.

The music in L2 is kind of a sour spot for me; a lot of the ports translated very nicely to 8-bit, but no Mining Melancholy or Forest Interlude at all? Like, why?

They also had this just sitting there and didn't even use it either. Man.....

Spark Of Spirit

I just beat K. Rool in the main game. Man, this game is still great. I also didn't have as hard time with Toxic Tower or Screech's Sprint as I thought I would.

Still, I've got Animal Antics left to do and then the real final boss and I've 102%'d the game. It's still the only classic DKC game where I bother to do that.

As for DKL2, I still haven't gone back to it since that post. The constant reusing of like 3 songs gets on my nerves. At least DKL1 had original tunes. This whole game is just a not as good version of DKC2.

Foggle

Spark Of Spirit

Never played it before.

I bought it on the VC, so I'll be going through it next.

Spark Of Spirit

And beaten. 102% and the final world clear. Such a brilliant game.

Next I guess I'll finish off DKL2 then move on to DKC3 and DKL3 to finish off my trilogy replay.