Daria

Started by Avaitor, July 20, 2011, 01:12:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Insomniac

One thing I realized about Daria that a new show would have to address, Daria's upper middle class. Her mom's a lawyer and her dad runs his own consultant firm. And she isn't that much of an outcast when she has a best friend, a boyfriend, and half a dozen acquaintances that she talks to on a semi-regular basis. Take that episode where she's in the hospital, and the school president, the captain of the football team, the quarterback, and the head cheerleader visit her simply because they wanted to. For all her complaints about society, she lived a relatively comfortable life. So how can a modern version of the show keep her character without making her seem whiny or smugly unappreciative of her life? How do you make her a relatable underdog when to teenagers these days of lower class backgrounds or who are far more introverted, Daria seems pretty privileged and stretches for things to complain about?

Daikun

Daikun

Dr. Insomniac

Until they show footage, I'll bet it'll turn into something else by next year. It's taken 4 years, and we haven't seen even a frame.

Commode

It's been really weird watching all these corporations green light nostalgia based content the last several years, only for them to lose faith in nearly all of them at some point in the production.  Maybe like don't even bother with all these reboots and revivals then?
It doesn't matter what you say, soon you'll be dead anyway.

Dr. Insomniac

I assume the guys making Jodie give at least half a shit about making something worthwhile so all the time's been spent thinking how this thing will even work, and MTV Networks' somehow fine with that, otherwise they'd just fire the crew and find some guys to churn it out in under a year or cancel the project entirely by now.

Peanutbutter

I have no idea how Jodie will turn out, hopefully its good and Daria has a cameo. What I don't get is that Velma spin-off that's actually not supposed to have anything to do with Scooby.....why insinuate it in the previous marketing then????  :butbut:

Dr. Insomniac

Maybe Mindy Kaling wanted her own cartoon, but WB decided to smear Scooby-Doo flavored paint on it because they some way or other thought "Did enough people watch The Mindy Project or remember Kelly from The Office? We've gotta staple another IP on this so people might watch!" Or it's like the same situation with Jason Segel making a Muppet movie, where once you have enough star power to do what you want, you can just go to a studio and convince them to make official self-insert fic.

Avaitor

The impression I get with Velma is that Mindy Kaling is a fan of the Harley Quinn show and wanted to do something similar.

That teaser image was gross and a shitty way to promote your series, but at least Kaling's voice should be a good fit for Velma.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Daxdiv

Quote from: Dr. Insomniac on May 16, 2022, 09:02:45 PM
Until they show footage, I'll bet it'll turn into something else by next year. It's taken 4 years, and we haven't seen even a frame.
I'm curious, have we even seen concept art for Jodie at all? Hell, even Mike Judge posted concept art of what Beavis and Butthead will look like in the new Paramount+ movie coming soon. It's something, I'll give him that, but other than hearing names attached to Jodie and the premise, not so much.

Dr. Insomniac

Don't think so. You'd think they could release something to keep fans interested instead of forgetting the thing's still in production. Like get Tracy Grandstaff out of retirement and narrate some YouTube videos or whatever.