What Are You Listening To II: Whole Lotta Music

Started by Avaitor, July 06, 2013, 03:05:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mustang

Motorhead - Line in the Sand

I'm not into metal at all, but my goodness WWE/WCW has some good tunes back then. Makes me go down memory lane (4 horsemen theme is epic).
3S - Ken, Ryu, Dudley
SF6 - Ken, Cammy
GGXrdR2 - Johnny, Sol

Mustang

NF
I don't know if any of you heard of him, and I didn't know he was from Michigan, but at the moment he got me about ready to get rid of the majority of the rap and r&b music with no content I used to listen to (even 90's - early 2000's) that's on my phone. The guy doesn't curse at all and he's putting all of his emotions into every song.
3S - Ken, Ryu, Dudley
SF6 - Ken, Cammy
GGXrdR2 - Johnny, Sol

RacattackForce

So, back in the summer of 2018, Zach Callison (voice of Steven on Steven Universe) released an album called A Picture Perfect Hollywood Heartbreak. Finally got around to listening to it the other week, and I thought it was pretty good. It has a mid-2000s alt rock vibe in the vein of My Chemical Romance that I shamelessly enjoy, and is also host to this loose rock opera narrative that I feel flowed well enough. My favourite song is either She Don't Know or Interlude IV, the latter of which is admittedly more slam poetry than a full-on song. My least favourite, though it has started to grow on me after repeated listens, is War. It has a different feel than the rest of the album (feels less emo, for lack of a better in-the-moment descriptor), so it sticks out on the track list. It also happens to be the last track on the album, meaning the entire thing ends on a weak note. But like I said, I found it an enjoyable listening experience overall.

I've also been listening to the Kipo and the Age of Wonderbeasts Season 1 OST while working on a soapstone sculpture for class.

Avaitor

I haven't done one of these in a while!

Dynfari- "3rd Door: Madness"

I've been listening to the albums that were meant to be played in full at this year's Roadburn Festival, and thus far this is a favorite of the ones that are new to me. It's a concept album melding the theories of author Patrick Rothfuss and poet Jóhann Sigurjónsson. While it gets close to meandering bullshit, what makes it work for me are the compositions. It's a similar blend of post rock's bitterness and black metal's beauty, into a one-of-a-kind sound.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Dr. Insomniac

Not exactly music, but I've been listening to Liam Gallagher interviews. He sounds like a complete dick, but he's fun to hear. Kinda like John Lydon. Even when John got old, and turned out to be a sellout, his interviews are always funny to watch.

Mustang

3 years and some change.

I haven't changed much from what I usually listen to (r&b, rap, gospel, jazz), but I have added a bit of rock into the rotation along with lo-fi. I wish I had given lo-fi a shot way back when Samurai Champloo first aired. I could've used it to try and go to sleep to. And then it just calms me down.

Now in terms of new folks in the industry. I've listened to some of these younger and up and coming rap artists. Without trying to be too harsh on them, the talent is there. Some of these 19-25 year olds can actually rap-rap. It's just too much street/gang culture involved and you can see it's becoming stagnant. This "Drill" music is out of hand and it can't be supported or marketed. They only got YouTube reactors going for them which is cool but at the same time, sad, because these YouTubers are condoning the music unintentionally. Like I said, some of them can actually rap-rap, but Drill is literally, going out and killing "ops", which is what the younger generation is rapping about and actually doing. Unless they change it up, they're in a no win situation.

I've also tried listening to Drake for the first time. Still don't like his music. I'm not one of those that listen for "bars" and lyrics like some of your hip hop heads. I'm more of a cadence, flow, and substance kinda guy. Sure, if you can actually do schemes, double/triple entendres that's a plus, but flow first for me. That being said, J.Cole and Kendrick has been added to the playlist.

Anyway, anymore music heads still around?
3S - Ken, Ryu, Dudley
SF6 - Ken, Cammy
GGXrdR2 - Johnny, Sol