What Are You Listening To II: Whole Lotta Music

Started by Avaitor, July 06, 2013, 03:05:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Avaitor

Army of Lovers= "Say Goodbye to Babylon"

Well, this is much better than ABBA. Although honestly, every Swedish pop act I've heard is better than ABBA. Seriously, what's the appeal of ABBA?
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Lord Il

Quote from: Avaitor on December 27, 2013, 08:47:26 PM
Seriously, what's the appeal of ABBA?
I think that's THE question of the past three+ decades. I honestly don't try to answer such a question for fear of a brain aneurysm or three. Everything about ABBA was such pure cheese. The single from the solo album "I Know There's Something Going On" by Frida might be one of the very few works which has earned my respect. Very powerful sounding 80s track. Strong vocals, strong guitar, strong drums. I listen to it just for Phil Collins' drum work on it.. it's gorgeous.
-----------------

Primus - "Those Damned Blue-Collar Tweekers"

Nel_Annette

Foggle

Good choices, Il and Nel. :)

Listening to the album Conexion by Alcohol Jazz. Definitely a worthwhile purchase. This song kinda' reminds me of the Lupin III theme. :lol:

Avaitor

The Dead Weather- "I Can't Hear You"

I still maintain that this is Jack White's best act by far.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Nel_Annette

Quote from: Foggle on December 29, 2013, 09:04:44 AM
Good choices, Il and Nel. :)

Before I really got into KC, I thought Discipline was Red because of the album cover.  ;D

Avaitor

New blog!

No-Personality

Quote from: Avaitor on December 27, 2013, 08:47:26 PMArmy of Lovers - "Say Goodbye to Babylon"

Well, this is much better than ABBA. Although honestly, every Swedish pop act I've heard is better than ABBA. Seriously, what's the appeal of ABBA?
I can't claim to be an expert on their discography or anything but... I like them. Of course, there are few artists / groups I literally sit down with for longer than 20 or so minutes at a time (Rihanna is a frequent exception) (unless we're talking just repeating the same song over and over again), so perhaps every album they ever waxed was just that. An instant relic. But most of their famed material seems to live on and be protected under the Cult Hit banner. And that is more than fine with me. I think "Mamma Mia" is fantastic, "Honey Honey" is heady and entirely solid as fuzzy dancefloor material, "Dancing Queen" might be one of the greatest pop music contradictions every created- it sort of single-handedly gave birth to its very own Gremlins. If you've never seen the original Prom Night, they used disco as a kind of Beat of the Grim Reaper theme throughout. But DQ is even better at feeling like the kind of song that would play, in one form or another, if ever there were a Prom Queen hanging / beheading or remembrance ceremony in a soapy TV-movie about Sarah Michelle Gellar dying in a crunchy car crash. And, to these senses, "SOS" is untouchable. Inarguably perfect. If you don't like it- You don't like it. That simple.

Also, they were an important theme in the film Muriel's Wedding.

I'm currently trying to get into Army of Lovers, but they lost me quickly after the one song I already liked from Don't Tell Mom the Babysitter's Dead.
Well, I got so burned out on the road
Too many fags, too much blow
And then Mick and I split up and I said,
"Kid, it's time to take a little bit of a hiatus."
So I got myself a gig at the coffee shop
and I love it.
Why don't you take that corner booth,
I'll take your order in a minute...

Avaitor

Whitesnake- "Still of the Night"

This is a very good song, and I do feel as if Whitesnake are under appreciated sometimes.

New blog!

No-Personality

^ One can't argue their choruses aren't masterful.
Well, I got so burned out on the road
Too many fags, too much blow
And then Mick and I split up and I said,
"Kid, it's time to take a little bit of a hiatus."
So I got myself a gig at the coffee shop
and I love it.
Why don't you take that corner booth,
I'll take your order in a minute...

Avaitor

Napalm Death- "Christening of the Blind"

I've been listening to a lot of ND lately.

New blog!

Kiddington

Avaitor

New blog!

Kiddington

Ice Cube - "Check Yo Self (2010 remix)"

Yeah I like this version better.

Foggle

Quote from: Kiddington on January 09, 2014, 09:50:21 AM
Ice Cube - "Check Yo Self (2010 remix)"

Yeah I like this version better.
The original (and I mean the original, not the one everyone knows) is the best IMO.