Remakes/Ports Discussion

Started by talonmalon333, July 31, 2013, 11:32:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spark Of Spirit

"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

talonmalon333

Nintendo should re-release Clock Tower onto PC with proper mouse support. Or the Wii U eShop with Wiimote support. Or just the 3DS with touch controls support. Basically, the game should be re-released, and in a method that works better than the SNES controller. Any of the three methods I listed above should work.

talonmalon333

I wish game developers would, when porting games, release more "'best of' definitive versions". Basically, after developers re-release a game enough times, each time with new features, enough to get it out of their system, I feel like the developers should eventually just take all the good features from every port and compile it all into a single complete version. I've already commented on Chrono Trigger here, and I think I also did with Super Mario All-Stars. But another one I could add is Resident Evil 2. They should re-release RE2 and take these features from each version:

PlayStation (Dual Shock Re-Release) Version
- Extreme Battle Mini-Game
- Easy and Rookie Difficulty Modes
- Ranking Systems

Windows Version
- Gallery Mode
- Hard Difficulty Mode

Nintendo 64 Version
- New Files
- Item Randomizer Mode
- New Costumes

GameCube Version
- Skippable Cutscenes
- Higher Quality Visuals

Take all those additions that were made with each re-release, throw them all into one port, and release it as the RE2 complete package. And then they can just stick with that version of it anytime they want to release the game again at a later date.

You can take that idea and apply it to nearly any game that has seen various different ports.

talonmalon333

Has anyone ever played The Secret of Monkey Island: Special Edition? It's a remake of the original, with updated graphics and voice acting. However, it allows you to toggle back and forth whenever you want, between the original graphics and the new, and turn the voice acting on and off. That's something I wish more video game remakes would do.

Take Super Mario Bros. 3 for example. When you start up the game, it would start the SNES 16-bit graphics from All-Stars.

However, with the push of a button, that would turn to this...

The same could be done with the music, switching between the NES soundtrack and the SNES soundtrack. You could also potentially play with 16-bit visuals and 8-bit music, or 8-bit visuals and 16-bit music. Same could be applied to SMB1 and 2.

Is this idea anything necessary? Not at all. However, it's just something that I find to be a charming addition. Of course, it couldn't be done with remakes that are massive overhauls with not only different graphics and sound, but also brand new level design (REmake, etc.). However, with remakes like SMB3 that are the exact same game but with technical upgrades, I fully welcome it. It's a level of charm that we could use in this medium.

Foggle

Halo Anniversary does that too I think.

talonmalon333

I like hearing that. Like I said, it's not necessary. But it's a level of charm that most developers don't even bother with. Sometimes, it's nice for games to have things like this just for the sake of it.

Come to think of it, this would fit very well for the "definitive versions of games" discussion.

gunswordfist

Yes it would.

Also, whoa at the improvement in graphics between the two. I didn't even know the SNES version had updated graphics until y'all recent discussion.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

talonmalon333

What I especially love about SNES SMB3 is that it's basically the same graphics, only given more detail and color. You can tell that the sprites and environment designs are basically the same, but the SNES version looks so much nicer. I've especially begun to notice that the original SMB3 is sort of lacking in color. It's kind of a black and white looking game.

gunswordfist

I thought SMB3 was super beautiful until I saw that. Thanks for ruining my childhood. :blush:
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

talonmalon333

Final Fantasy IV (PSP Version)

Aside from the PSP port, there is not a single good version of FFIV playable in America. The SNES version is a mindboggling parody of the Super Famicon version that lowered the difficulty so much that the whole adventure is a tutorial, the GBA version has glitches that can potentially break battles, and the PS1 version has 10-20 loading times when starting and saving the game. I would also throw the PSP version of FFI and FFII in here. They should get re-released too, though FFI PSP is getting a 3DS eShop port in Japan so it might be on its way over here next, and II might be following that. However, FFI and FII already have great ports in America, so IV is far more important especially considering it's also a much better game than those.

So yeah, I would like to see Square port the PSP version of FFIV. Now, considering the fact that they released the PSP version of FFI onto 3DS eShop, I imagine that's also where they would release IV. Ideally, I would prefer a release on PSN or Steam, but I would definitely take either. Just get it available on a console beyond the PSP.

Also, keep in mind that, when I say the PSP version is the only good one, I was excluding the remake that was released onto the DS and PC. I haven't played that one yet, but from what I hear, it's very good. However, when I was talking about the versions of FFIV earlier, I was keeping the discussion to the 2D versions. The remake is entirely 3D with more modern elements. It's the same game deep down but it's also different. And from what I hear, despite being a great remake, it's not necessarily the best representation of Final Fantasy IV.

Foggle

I don't like the 3D remakes of classic Final Fantasy games. The old graphics have a special nostalgic charm to them, and I find the chibi representations kind of ugly.

talonmalon333

Quote from: Foggle on March 29, 2015, 03:11:13 PM
I don't like the 3D remakes of classic Final Fantasy games. The old graphics have a special nostalgic charm to them, and I find the chibi representations kind of ugly.

From what I've seen, the IV remake looks better than III. I still think the characters look like pears in III. :P

That gives me another idea for this thread. Square should remake FFIII in updated 2D on par with the PSP version of IV.

Foggle

Oh, definitely. The only way I can bring myself to play FF3 is the NES version with an English patch. A proper 16-bit-style remake would be splendid. :)

Nel_Annette

And they should put a god damn save point in the final dungeon. There's a challenge and then there's stupid levels of difficulty.

...Or did they do that for the Steam version?

talonmalon333

I'm just afraid the NES FFIII has many of the flaws that typical 8-bit RPGs tend to have. Can't confirm if it does or doesn't, though.