Space Dandy

Started by Foggle, August 10, 2013, 11:50:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Foggle

I thought it was fantastic in all aspects.

Avaitor

I dug it. I think it's a fun throwback to old-school anime, and got some laughs out of me already.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Dr. Insomniac

The only joke that really made me laugh was the ending. Otherwise, I liked it.

Foggle

Quote from: Dr. Insomniac on January 05, 2014, 10:29:50 AM
The only joke that really made me laugh was the ending. Otherwise, I liked it.
I thought the whole thing was quite funny, but I only actually laughed at the ending and "I don't read circle." IMO, this is as good of a throwback to old anime as Kill la Kill is an homage to old manga. I've watched the last part of the episode 3 times. I'm already hooked. Can't wait to buy the OST(s) as well.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I saw it and found it to be pretty entertaining. As usual FUNimation brings top-notch voice-acting to the table, which really helped some of the more lackluster bits of humor seem funnier than they really were. As far as the humor and over-the-top meta tone of this series go, it REALLY reminds me of Level E, which for me is a good thing.

Based on the first episode, I don't exactly think it'll be an instant classic in the vein of Bebop, but to be fair it's not supposed to be. As an anime comedy, it's not laugh-out-loud funny, but it's rightfully more entertaining than most comedic anime that I've tried to watch in the past few years.

Daikun

Wow. Reading the comments here and at TZ, it's quite a disconnect.

TZ is usually the more forgiving forum with new cartoons. :D

Foggle

Quote from: Daikun on January 05, 2014, 06:56:13 PM
Wow. Reading the comments here and at TZ, it's quite a disconnect.

TZ is usually the more forgiving forum with new cartoons. :D
I don't really know if we're more forgiving, I think it's just a polarizing show. Space Dandy seems to me like it's mostly going to appeal to people who like silly adventure anime from the 70's-90's, which I'm not sure much of TZ's audience falls into. I believe there's a similar case with Kill la Kill, which people on this forum generally like/love, but most TZers I've encountered don't appear to care for.

Daxdiv

First episode was interesting. The only part that threw me off was me expecting Honey to call Dandy an ass when Dandy asked her what he thought he job was. Apparently, according to someone that worked on the show, it was supposed to help establish the fact that the women working at "BOOBIES" are pretending to be dumb/ditzy, considering that Honey is most likely going to be a reoccurring character, she was listed with the rest of the cast.

I feel like I'll be watching more of this show in the near future. Also, saw an ad on Adult Swim that said what the next episode is going to be about. Haven't seen that for a Toonami show on Adult Swim.

Nel_Annette

In all honestly, I think it was more split down the middle at TZ. Only a few of us didn't really care for it. I saw plenty of praise in the talkback.

Daikun

Daikun

Daikun

LumRanmaYasha

I'm really glad to see the series draw excellent numbers. The drop between it and The Boondocks that week was only a little over 100,000. I'm hoping that it's audience will continue to grow as it continues.

Foggle

Here's 1600 words on why I think this show is intelligent. I probably have no credibility left now. http://animationrevelation.com/readables/?p=2494

Daikun

Episode 4 ratings: 1.251 million

Not as good as last week, but still impressive that this show consistently pulls in the million+.