Things You Like About Games That You Don't Particularly Care For

Started by Dr. Ensatsu-ken, October 01, 2013, 08:52:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

talonmalon333

I too liked the soundtrack of Sunshine, and its atmosphere as a whole. That one level which takes place entirely on a beach had a really nice, tranquil feel.

Nel_Annette

Quote from: talonmalon333 on October 08, 2013, 04:49:18 PM
I think Super Paper Mario is as funny, if not more, than TTYD. I also like the story more. But the subplot of Glitzville > any Paper Mario main plot.

It's just that gameplay that is so unpolished. Every boss: hophophophophophophophopwin. I'd say Castlevania: Symphony of the Night did a better job at combining platforming elements with RPG. I also remember the prehistoric level being a bit bland. Still, the final dungeon in the game, in my opinion, surpasses the ones in the other two games (Bowser's Castle and the Shadow Palace, or whatever it's called). Love the music in that place, too. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dmPOeCgh8z4&hd=1

I can agree with all of this.  :joy: Bleck's Castle is the best final dungeon in the Paper Mario games definitely. Also, those two Paper Mario games do something I wish more games did: allowed you to play after the main plot was done, and get some final closure on all things, rather than just starting you back off on the last save point before the final boss.

Daxdiv

Despite being the game of Trumpets and Water Areas late game, I really did like most of the Pokemon made during Generation III in Ruby and Sapphire. Along with adding  things like Natures and the like.

talonmalon333

Quote from: Nel_Annette on October 08, 2013, 08:57:49 PM
Quote from: talonmalon333 on October 08, 2013, 04:49:18 PM
I think Super Paper Mario is as funny, if not more, than TTYD. I also like the story more. But the subplot of Glitzville > any Paper Mario main plot.

It's just that gameplay that is so unpolished. Every boss: hophophophophophophophopwin. I'd say Castlevania: Symphony of the Night did a better job at combining platforming elements with RPG. I also remember the prehistoric level being a bit bland. Still, the final dungeon in the game, in my opinion, surpasses the ones in the other two games (Bowser's Castle and the Shadow Palace, or whatever it's called). Love the music in that place, too. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dmPOeCgh8z4&hd=1

I can agree with all of this.  :joy: Bleck's Castle is the best final dungeon in the Paper Mario games definitely. Also, those two Paper Mario games do something I wish more games did: allowed you to play after the main plot was done, and get some final closure on all things, rather than just starting you back off on the last save point before the final boss.

I too liked that Paper Mario 2 and 3 allow you to play after completing the main plot. But I have to admit that Super Paper Mario laid it on too thick with the post-game content. In TTYD, there was just the Pit of 100 Trials. In SPM, you have two of those, and one of them must be done twice. After that you have that samurai kingdom which has 100 more fights (and none of these samurai fights require any effort at all). So basically, 400 trials in total. :P

I mostly liked Super Paper Mario for the story though. Loved the story arcs of Bleck, Tippi, and Dimentio. This game's story had the most heart of the trilogy. Also, as we all know, the humor was top notch. Music was pretty good too, though not as good as TTYD's.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dmPOeCgh8z4&hd=1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S9pepI9PfBQ&hd=1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dd3y6Pci3g8&hd=1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KL4cuMMhMwU&hd=1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SxtbIkAK3IA&hd=1

Nel_Annette

Well, I don't so much mean the Pits (because they really are a chore) as much as being able to revisit places and characters and see how everyone's faring afterward. Really, if we ever get a proper Paper Mario again, I hope there are new postgame areas like towns with optional dungeons and bosses, instead of that whole 100 floors thing.

talonmalon333

Quote from: Nel_Annette on October 10, 2013, 01:43:53 AM
Well, I don't so much mean the Pits (because they really are a chore) as much as being able to revisit places and characters and see how everyone's faring afterward. Really, if we ever get a proper Paper Mario again, I hope there are new postgame areas like towns with optional dungeons and bosses, instead of that whole 100 floors thing.

I didn't mind the pits in SPM. They lend themselves to SPM's gameplay far more than TTYD's. It's just that there were two of them, and one had to be repeated.

I'd also like some cool cameos in a new PM. That appearance of Bow in TTYD was such a tease, and made me think all the other partners from PM1 would also appear.

Kiddington

Quote from: Daxdiv on October 08, 2013, 10:51:20 PM
Despite being the game of Trumpets and Water Areas late game, I really did like most of the Pokemon made during Generation III in Ruby and Sapphire. Along with adding  things like Natures and the like.

Honestly, the only thing that I truly didn't like about Ruby and Sapphire (and still don't) is the exclusion of so many older Pokemon... particular Johto, which outside of like Girafarig or Heracross really got shafted. I mean, yeah, I get it that they want you to use the new ones, but the option to have all of them available would've been far nicer, as opposed to having to import them all from FR/LG (which, at the time R/S came out, wasn't even an option for at least a year).

Kinda sucks too that so many of the new features from G/S/C didn't return on top of that (day/night system, days of the week, two regions to explore, etc. etc.), but overall I can take or leave most of that stuff. The lack of older Pokemon is what still gets me, and after a while starts to limit your options for new teams.

Commode

Quote from: Kiddington on October 10, 2013, 12:21:56 PM

Honestly, the only thing that I truly didn't like about Ruby and Sapphire (and still don't) is the exclusion of so many older Pokemon... particular Johto, which outside of like Girafarig or Heracross really got shafted. I mean, yeah, I get it that they want you to use the new ones, but the option to have all of them available would've been far nicer, as opposed to having to import them all from FR/LG (which, at the time R/S came out, wasn't even an option for at least a year).

Kinda sucks too that so many of the new features from G/S/C didn't return on top of that (day/night system, days of the week, two regions to explore, etc. etc.), but overall I can take or leave most of that stuff. The lack of older Pokemon is what still gets me, and after a while starts to limit your options for new teams.
There wasn't even that many Johto Pokemon in FR/LG really(although you still could get some good ones like Tyranitar and the legendary beasts).  You pretty much had to rely on the GC games to obtain Johto Pokemon in Gen 3.
It doesn't matter what you say, soon you'll be dead anyway.

Nel_Annette

Despite being the game of Trumpets...

Once I got used to the new sound palette, I honestly think Hoenn had the best soundtrack of all the games, besides a few choice tracks from other generations. Also, while I think the ocean on the east side of the map is the worst area in any Pokemon game, I think the main island is still the best overworld in the games.

talonmalon333

So I have well established my distaste for Resident Evil 5. At this point, I prefer to not even think about it much anymore, in how it's such a shell of a video game. However, I do suppose it's about time that I say a few things about the game that are, well, positive. Spoilers below, so avoid the rest of this post if you haven't played the game. Or don't. The game doesn't make much sense either way.

Spoiler

Albert Wesker

Anyone who played the game can probably agree that Wesker was awesome in it. Putting aside his absurd backstory that was revealed in the game, he was probably better than ever in RE5. How can you not love how smooth and cool he carries himself here? He also features some of the best voice acting in 5. Yeah, he had the same voice actor in Umbrella Chronicles. But in that game, he had a really weird "neutral" accent, and sometimes seemed a little too removed from what was going on. In 5, he just has the most character. I love his lines too. "Poor performance indeed!" "You can't hide forever!" "Nice moves, Chris. But now that your partner has arrived, I'll let you two catch up." Then there's that cocky chuckle he gives before the final battle when Chris says "I'm not gonna give up until I'm dead". His cheesy, over the top laugh at the very end of Code Veronica has nothing on that.

I like his battles too. The final battle isn't as cool, but it does have that awesome knife finish. The wave of quick time event crutching games came after RE4, and 5 was among them. However, this one is great. I'd also like to give a mention to the track "Winds of Madness", which is the best tune in the game and is featured in one of the Wesker fights. It was also fitting that Wesker eventually gave himself to the Las Plagas and turned into a tentacle monster for the final battle. The calm, intelligent evil lord turns into a raging, broken down monster. It's a classic end to villain storylines and works very well here. I also didn't mind that he died by a rocket launcher. Some might say that's an overused way to beat a RE final boss, but it's also kind of tradition at this point.

Multiplayer

Whether we're talking online or offline, this is the thing that makes RE5 worth playing, even if only somewhat. The single player mode is too frustrating and devoid of fun thanks to terrible partner AI, as most people know. It's bad, but experiencing the game on multiplayer is what inspired me to play through it a second time. Otherwise, I probably wouldn't have ever touched this game again after my first run of it. I do still sort of have this suspicion that multiplayer somehow changed and ultimately ruined Capcom's original vision of the game, but that's something we'll probably never know for sure. Despite my dislike of the single player campaign, RE5 is kind of fun on multiplayer.

The Swamp Level

In in the midst of all the uninspired level design, this is the one area in the game I actually like. Not only is it aesthetically kind of cool, but it's the one area that feels pretty creative in design. It's open and contains a classic style RE puzzle. It also has some decent enemies, and one of the few instances that contains real tension. I'm talking about the part with the alligator trying to get you. Overall, this is the only level that I remember somewhat fondly.

Lost in Nightmares

Easily better than any part of the main game, the Lost in Nightmares chapter is legitimately well done. It's no masterpiece. It's very short and its sole monster, if I remember correctly, is a complete rehash of an enemy from the main game. I don't feel much of a need to go back to it (otherwise, I'd be more annoyed that they didn't release it on the PC port of RE5). However, it was good, which is more than I can say for the main game. It did a fine job of merging together classic RE with modern RE. It's atmospheric and nostalgic, with a great modern camera.
[close]

And that's about it. I tried going for five choices, but I realized I don't like enough of the content in the game. So I settled on four.